Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What are the other Shiro-like skis: 115-120ish & No Metal

It seems like there is a big selection of Big Mountain skis that charge and it also seems most have metal. I want a ripping ski that I can take into Japan's trees to compliment or replace my pure powder/tree ski (Maven) and compliment my firm snow groomer-zoomer (Jet Fuel.) I'm thinking metal probably isn't a needed ingredient.

So far the Shiro has my attention. Flat to minimal camber underfoot, long early-rise/tip rocker, flatfish tail. Shaped like a Bodacious... Overlord, etc.

I saw MntLion's Big Dump sale and as intriguing as it is, I have this (delusion?) belief that it'll be too much in the forest for when the going gets tight-- which is usually the case.

I've been searching a while so maybe someone can suggest a ski along the lines of this .jpg outline: (Which may have outdated specs.)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skis.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	387.1 KB 
ID:	99642
    Last edited by gaijin; 09-03-2011 at 01:31 AM.

K2 obSETHed? Although if/when I go back to Japan to ski trees and everything else, I'm pretty sure I can just bring my 189 pon2oons and leave everything else at home.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Pon2oon deserves more recognition on my end.

My Maven is a pretty ridiculous tree ski. I kind of want something that can handle groomer crud more easily.

I'm kind of on the fence about just replacing my Maven with a new ski that doesn't fold in variable conditions, or complimenting it with a Big Mountain ski that doesn't suck in the forest.

Soft snow days in the forest have me in heaven with the Maven. But- don't all pow skis rock in new snow? Maybe I should just scrap it and stop reserving it for those elite days. It's so much work elsewhere- yet the forest is why I own it.

stupid quiver dilemmas.

Moment Bibby
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

Faction 13
    Bluehoue Shoots
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Praxis Concept

Whitedot Ragnarok (143-120-130 r37m) 193cm
    PMgear Bro (143-114.5-132 r35m) 192cm

Life of a repo man is always intense.

Renegade, megawatt (blue). Both rule in trees and rip groomers. Megawatts are Chunder busters as well
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Ski Logik Howitzer
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Gaijin - You still skiing Zao this season, or relocated?

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Ski Logik Howitzer
    If you are going to consider the Howitzer.... Our local shop in Hakuba has a big range of Ski Logic boards. I rode the 186 Howitzer in the trees here in Hakuba, bit big for my weight at that stiffness, but that what was available for demo. It is a skiers ski, not a toy. A pow stick that rips groomers and chop to pieces. Incredible quality construction. Better value than most locally available wholesale imports (the distributor is a foreigner and has his head in order when it comes to sane pricing). Available via the new online shop http://rapie.jp/skilogik/howitzer.php

My local powder tree/alpine ski is the Atlas 183. Sounds like what you described "Flat to minimal camber underfoot, long early-rise/tip rocker, flatfish tail". My only complaint it the hookiness on high density windpack/slab. More detuning needed. Otherwise it is both a fun and powerful ski.
    Life is not lift served.

Yeah, I'm still at Zao. If the Howitzer is stiff, I'll likely pass. Zao is tight and deep. A dream for anyone like myself who grew up racing slalom.

I know finding a maneuverable tree ski that doesn't fold in crud is a difficult recipe, but the Maven is just too exhausting out of fresh snow for me. I've put up with it because tree-skiing became tree-tronning... full throttle madness done with complete ease... until I'm on the transfer groomer fighting crud.

Renegade, Pon2oon, Shiro, Atlas all seem to be where I'm focusing now as I'm leaning towards replacing my Maven all together and no longer thinking about supplementing it with a BM ski.

Is the Pon2oon K2's classic bent-like rocker-- with two straight~ish shapes and a kink? Or is it smooth and continuous through the curve?
    Last edited by gaijin; 09-04-2011 at 07:29 PM.

The front rocker is like the old Pontoon rocker, so probably the kink you're referring to. The tail rocker and taper is quite subtle and IMO the perfect tail for a ski like that. I mounted mine +2 for even more nimbleness. ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

The Bonin Petrels

Why do they kink their rocker like that? Am I missing some value to it not being a continuous curve? Can you even feel it?

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Why do they kink their rocker like that? Am I missing some value to it not being a continuous curve? Can you even feel it?
    When the white Megawatt came out and it had a continuous curve rocker vs. the K2 kink as you call it, one of the K2 engineers explained that they liked the kink vs continuous curve because it allowed the skier to know exactly where the rocker began so the ski was more predictable on hardpack or something blah blah... that was years ago and I wasn't really paying attention at the time so my recollection might be off.

"Can you even feel it?" I'm not sure what that means? I feel the rocker working immediately at any speed and it doesn't bog me down at all if that's what you're worried about.

I skied the 188 DarkSide and 179 HellBent in Japan. I prefer the 189 HB to both the 179 HB and 188 DS and I prefer the 189 Pon2oon to anything else I've ever skied.

See the Pon2oon in action here (FF to 4:26):

Last edited by hop; 09-04-2011 at 11:17 PM.

The Bonin Petrels

191 ON3P Billy Goat should be on the list.
    192 Rocker2
    189 Pon2oon (even if it is too damn wide)
    189 Seth
    189 Watea 120

You're right, XavierD about the Billy Goat and the Rocker2. I originally took the BG off the list though because of the short running length that I dislike about my Maven. But it's stiffer, so maybe it's worthy. I read here somewhere that they hated the Rocker2 in crud. IDK.

I'm kind of coming around to my original theory about skis of this genre: "They all rip. Just buy something, ski it, and know what you want out of the next one."

Hop:
    Well, there's a reason they haven't gone continuous with it, and I bet it is more predictable. Maybe I should just try it and learn for myself.

As for "feeling" it-- Yeah, I kinda meant bogging down. I'm wondering if riders can feel that abrupt change in curvature. I'm likely being way over-critical though. I've never heard anyone complain about it.

Nice Maiden to accompany nice lines. ;-)

Nordica Radict. No metal, short turning radius for trees and lays trenches on groomers on the way back to the lift.

Edit: It's wider than 115 but not any wider than Pon2oon or Rocker 2.

Maestro?
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

4frnt Renegade and never look back...

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    Maestro?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    This design has been growing on me for a long time. I'm convinced you're right.

True statement.

Moment Bibby

i'm picking up a 192 Movement Super Turbo in hopes that it will make a great tree / low-visibility pow day ski.

118 waist, 22m radius, no tail rocker (no metal)
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Does anyone one know of a ren-like shape, except lighter?
    Life is not lift served.