Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    20/20 hindsight.
    I think the point is that if you were going to do something this crazy you would take time to plan it out. Of course, this guy is also somewhat crazy. Though tbh I looked at what he skied and it seems doable for a skibase, didnt expect him to have to flip over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mex View Post
    WHoa...I'm not sure if that was cool, stupid or something else?
    I'm going with: something else. Not sure I get it...was the only goal to not die? It's not really skiing and not base jumpers normally seem to take caution in what their doing. I wouldn't really call it "one of the sickest" ever...unless, you're talking about throwing up a little at watching someone almost die.

it's only really crazy if you die, and if you die, who the fuck cares? yer dead. done. life goes on........

rog

It seems stupid to me to make two shitty turns just to call it a skibase.

That said, that guy has balls the size of china. Lucky to still be walking this earth.

More impressive would be to climb the fucker and jump off sans skis.

I'm sorry but to me the stupidty of that far exceeded any other element. Sure, Matteron, SkiBASE, some awesome elements in there.

But honestly, him saying he threw a quick front flip, that is bullshit. If you watch the non-POV, he hit rocks and fell hard forward off the side of the mountain. Lucky lucky fucking break.

Glad it worked out.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

Skibase is what Roner does, and what Shane did. That was just a really crazy dude with a really cool idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanfruit View Post
    Skibase is what Roner does, and what Shane did. That was just a really crazy dude with a really cool idea.
    Ha. Check out some of Matthias' other ski-base videos and you might think differently.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Man... Someone has the balls to pull off something like that and gets called stupid....? GET FUCKED. You're probably stoked enough skiing on the groomers with your AT bindings and your baby sister.

I'm not saying I'd do that (actually there's no way in hell)... but come on. Have some respect.
    Last edited by theshredder; 09-02-2011 at 05:52 PM.

I have respect for people who are able to do incredible things safely and repeatedly, especially if it is for a number of decades, and actually even more so if they have enough judgement to know when to scale it back and enough imagination to come up with other sick things to do once they are too old to do the original sick things.

Jamie Pierre would be dead by now if he hadn't learned his lesson on his big huck and scaled it back after that.

Shane had a good long run, as did coombs.

Dick Durrance was a fucking badass and lived to be like 90, was still RIPPING around when he was close to 80 I think.

There have been countless idiots that do crazy shit and die young. Sometimes its just bad luck, but often, everyone sees it coming, as they do for this guy. He is making huge mistakes doing stuff that you don't make mistakes on, and getting lucky. Yea, it makes for some entertaining video, but I'd hardly say it elicits respect or admiration from me.

I know, I know, live fast die young (and stupid) and all that, I get it.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    B, I heard Ed is going to ski base off of Kong rock. Can you confirm or deny these allegations?

Reminds me a little of something, dont know if any squaw peeps remember when gunnar aired off the roof of squaw creek onto an uphill landing 6 inches from landing on concrete? he told me he caught an edge skating on the takeoff and had to pull an impromptu frontie, which was around the time he decided lawn darts make everything better

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    Would have been much cooler if he skied off, dumped skis then wing suited down north face!
    I 100% second this

Wow. You definitely don't get to walk away from too many screw ups like that one. Hopefully was a good learning experience for many safe future jumps.

thats rad but it just doesnt show how gnarrrlly that really is.

The non-POV is at the end of this video... I think "Sketchy As Fuck" is as good a way to put it as any...

http://www.zapiks.fr/ep6-bon-appetit-1.html

There is risk in everything. The idea though is to mitigate those risks with a skill set and careful planning. The spot he launched from is really sketchy with lots of rocks. He is very lucky to be alive. I hope he dials it back enough to not get maimed or killed.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

first....and last? that was sketch enough to probably scare off anyone else from trying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    first....and last? that was sketch enough to probably scare off anyone else from trying that.
    Disagree. It really seems like a relatively benign jump with better takeoff conditions. This was just a poor choice of overall snow conditions, and/or a poor choice of takeoff sites. It will be done many times in the future for sure.
    Last edited by couloirman; 09-06-2011 at 03:42 PM.

I used to think this stuff was really cool. It inspired me to go as big as I dared and ski pretty recklessly (in hindsight). Being injured for an extended time and watching Shane McConkey die, who was my childhood skiing idol, really has done a lot to ground me and put my priorities in perspective. I can't imagine what it must have been like for Shane to be struggling with his skis in the air, see the ground coming, and knowing his life was over. I would imagine his last thoughts were about his wife and daughter. I don't ever want to go through that or put the people I love through that. I'm am more then happy to meadow skip through the pow and keep the hucks/jumps to a reasonable intensity (which isn't much for me).

Just my thoughts.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Me me, me - let me armchair QB this.

nah, can't do it.

crazy dude full of life, challenging death.
    Live large and go big.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Disagree. It really seems like a relatively benign jump with better takeoff conditions. This was just a poor choice of overall snow conditions, and/or a poor choice of takeoff sites. It will be done many times in the future for sure.
    probably so. fortunately the cost of entry will weed out 99%.

but i'm not sure the snow conditions there improve all that much, 4478m is a pretty exposed and windripped place....

A 3 1/2 minute video with 3 1/2 seconds of action.
    At least it started with the action.

I love that pic above ^^^ this post.
    Ski, Bike, Climb.
    Resistence is futile.

Wow. Lots of rocks. Super-sketchy. Can't believe how lucky he got.

balls! sketchy! but doesn't taking the heli up make it completely irrelevant whether the jump is off the *top* of matterhorn or some other piece of rock with a bit of snow on it and enough shark fins to nearly kill the protagonist? cheers from the armchair, where I do all my reckoning during the summer months
    ~#at night the highway's diesel roar/speaks to me and tells me more/than any book I've ever read/or anything you've ever said#~