Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking to build a 90's era frame

Hey guys,

As the title suggests I'm looking to build a 90's era hardtail mtn bike frame. I'm 30 now and I guess I'm getting nestolgic. I'm not looking to go nuts (like a fat chance) but I think an around town mtn bike that was highend from my teen years would be fun.

Anyone have anything laying around? I started looking for a Zaskars but wow was I shocked at the Ebay pricing on frames.

Any help on a frame or fork from the 90's would be great.....I'll of course be listening to Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam (Ten) and Nirvana (Nevermind) while riding.

Thanks Mags

I have my old 95 Rockhopper but not letting it go anytime soon.

I can sympathize with your nostalgia problem; I was lusting after a Chuck CR-HT not long ago (more of a late 90's frame, but whatever).

I rock a 93, maybe 94 Fisher Montare frame (seatpost and frame are only original parts) around town and on the trails. Totally understand your 90s lust.

You need to add Helmet "Betty" to your CD list. I always equate that album and PJ Ten with my beloved Montare for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

I've got a Bridgestone MB-1 with Nokian extreme studded snows for my winter ride.

I have my '93 Stumpjumper M2 that I don't really ride, or need. 20" frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thanks for making me jealous guys......this is like show and tell day and I forgot my "show"

Thanks Chup....but I'm a Medium frame......now you did mention a Yeti in another post I thought

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Thanks Chup....but I'm a Medium frame......now you did mention a Yeti in another post I thought
    18" Yeti FRO, complete bike, circa 2002 initially -- so it's an aluminum FRO, not the early steel ones. The frame has a couple larger dents in it, no creases or cracks, but still... dented. I'm in the middle of building up Mrs. C.'s new hardtail, a 29er this time. I'm pulling some parts off the Yeti, and putting some of the less-desirable parts from the 29er onto the Yeti -- so some of the parts on the Yeti are new, but heavier/cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

There's an Ibis BowTi in the denver craigslist if you want to get REALLY fancy. There's actually quite a bit of mid 90's stuff on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I've got a Bridgestone MB-1 with Nokian extreme studded snows for my winter ride.
    That brings up sweet memories of my MB-1 from the late 80's. That was the bike that really made showed me that mountain bikes were serious. I sold it in the mid 90's to a buddy (who's MB-2 got stolen) and I upgraded to a totally custom SlingShot - which is still hanging in my garage for some unexplainable reason.

How about a nice Pro-flex or muddy fox?

THAT would be retro... to look at

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Shit....that's still my everyday ride. Solid bike.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

El Chup? that '93 Stumpy? How much are you looking to get for it? And does it have brazons for a rear rack?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Fat Chance Yo Eddie or a Buck Shaver.
    Don't make me come get you....

I have the 92 M2 Team with fully functional Mag 10 shock, I lovingly refer to it as "The Overend Machine". and a custom build C-dale CADD 3. Classic old MTB's are nice to see.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

For me....nothing says the 90's like a GT Zaskar. Polished...but pre-93 so one with the famous GT u-brake!!

OR....for uber-trick.. look for a Slingshot or the Nishiki Alien.

D

I've got a polished Giant ATX-890 Johnny T frame sitting lonely in the basement. Think it's a 19".
    Montani Semper Liberi

I have a 19" Gary Fischer Hoo Koo E Koo, with original rock shox. I just got it from my brother and after a week of riding it, realized it's a touch too big. Rather then going through all the retro-fit shenanigans, I'm looking a Jamis!

If'n you're interested, PM me.

I know of an all-original rigid GT Karakoram with that amazing black splatter over two-tone fade paint job. All original parts, including Shimano DX and U-brakes. But it's a really small frame, maybe 15".

I've got an Ibis Alibi from 1998ish, handmade in Sonoma, CA from Ibis's own Moron tubing, ~17 inches, root beer color, usual dings from a bike that's been ridden for years, comes with seatpost.

^^^^^PM'ed

Thanks for the responses guys. For those with 19's, thanks but thats just to big one me.

Damn you bastards with the MB-1s!!! I had one stolen from my appartment in college in '92. I miss that bike.

Hey. Just saw this on local forum. Green Specialized M2 Metal Matrix. Let me know if you want me to check it out.
    http://trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=25020.0