Middle-of-the-quiver for Tahoe touring?

What exactly is the perfect midfat for Tahoe BC. I'm about your size (if you are 6'2", 210 loaded up), Type III+/level 9 skier and I ski 3 out of 4 days in the BC. I want an everyday ski for just about any mid-winter BC conditions outside of corn or super-deep pow farming. I have BD Havocs (stiff, poppy, slalom length) for the former, Surface Live Life (double-rocker powder play saucers) and K2 Darksides (bullet-train flotation devices) for the latter. I like metal, some shape and tip rocker, 100-110 underfoot. Must be sub-10 lbs for the pair too. At this point, the G3 Manhattan 190 seems to fit the bill: 139 / 108 / 128, ~9lbs., radius under 28m. Also considering K2 Sidestash. The 191 Lhasas are another possibility, but have me wondering if they have the smash-drive I like in metal skis. Anyone have another suggestion?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I have no direct experience with this ski (or the Tahoe BC), but I've been looking at the 186 ON3P Vicik (clicky) for an all-mountain inbounds ski. It appears to meet all of your criteria for a stiffer BC setup, though.

Also, FWIW, I love my K2 Hardsides as a mid-winter dedicated touring ski. It meets your requirements, except the 98 mm waist is a little narrower than you were thinking. But I've skied them in deep powder without much complaint. Personally, I couldn't be happier with them, and, now that I've added a deep pow ski, I'm even more confident that I made the right choice. I don't have a dedicated corn ski, though, so maybe you'll want something wider.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I'm the same Height and weight.

I skied a Verdict in the BC the last 4 years and except for really deep Heavy snow I've been very happy with it.

Purchased a DPS 112 for this coming season for the deep days, in a 190 it's only 8 pounds for the pair, there spendy though,

I find 191 Lhasa's ideal for tahoe touring. The pintail shape helps with the sierra cement and destroys that grade A corn. Not to mention the light weight and killer pow performance.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm 6'0" and about 190# (but add a bunch when geared up), and ski Tahoe mostly.

I really like the DPS Wailer 105 "pure" for a do-it-all Tahoe ski. Stiff enough to handle heavier snow, wide enough and rockered enough to be plenty fun in pow. And really light, esp. with Dynafits.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Looking for the same. Want the 105 DPS ^ thinking the hybrid but with Dukes.

Was in the hardside's last year and heavy ass skis with dukes before those. Really like that 100 ~ 110 sizing. Wondering about the 108 kastle mtn lion is selling on gear swap as well.

Thinking the Dynastar LP 105 fit's the bill if you are willing to carry them & with Duke's I'm scarred they will be too heavy for the long days.
    Last edited by Jack Burton; 09-02-2011 at 05:22 PM.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Thanks all for tips.
    Ended up with full-carbon Lhasa 191, mostly on recommendations that they ski amazing in "3-dimensional snow". This is primarily what I expect to go after when I'm in the BC. They have less sidecut than the Sidestash, but are supposed to have plenty of maneuverability/slarvability due to pintail and low swingweight. Also, I'm never going to carve a 110mm-waisted ski unless Abe Lincoln comes back from the dead to slap any cop that arrests people for dancing at his monument.

Will post more comments after snow starts flying. Well, I guess that's now, so in December...
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

I'm sure it will work well for you - this year's models are stupidly light weight for their size/performance.

I've skied the full carbon Lhasa in 179 (brototype first run) and 186. As you have read, the geometry makes it really easy to turn for a 33m sidecut ski - it's not just the pintail, but the way the taper and rocker play into it as well by offering different ways to initiate the turn. Dunno if they've changed the flex, but the tail on the 179 brototype is really dang stiff -and the pintail helps with release at any point. Flat tail makes it great for belay/self-belay/clicking in on a firm slope. You'll also like the dampness on refrozen windcrust - the skis will not rattle your brains out thanks to the carbon. Basically, it's a great mountaineer's ski of a design that happens to be pretty fat.

The real issue is that now you have a bigger BC quiver than most people have resort quivers! I'm sure you have notions about when to grab the other skis, but I have a suspicion that the Lhasa will change those notions.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I've been sking my lhasa's in almost every condition for the past two seasons and really haven't been disappointed. They carve pretty well I'd say but you gotta be moving along pretty quick too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    ...with Duke's I'm scarred they will be too heavy for the long days.
    I thought you gave up on those
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"