Page 73 of 181 FirstFirst ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 4523
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    yeah we debated whether to post it on the interwebz ...oh, in case anyone couldn't guess or doesn't know, those pics were from elephants back.
    I'm glad you did! The new Snowbomb Backcountry Bus thanks you, we'll probably run 2 up there tomorrow, so look for 80-100 people gearing up for another great day, you literally can't miss our group!

q: is there a good roadside pull-off for 2 greyhound style buses right up by the trailhead, or should we shuttle drop the group?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

heh heh heh
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    A day of firsts: first chair, first real pow day of the 11-12 season, first time using my Praxis Protest skis!

AKBruin on the right seated next to me stoked to go all-time epic with my Praxis Protest. El Chup and his family were right behind us.

Rose was such a tease and cockblock today.
    We only skied the lowly crawling Ponderosa chair because the other lifts were frozen with rime ice .
    Wow this picture is getting around. My friend Kev-o is on the other side of you and this pic was on his FB page today. Apparently Lakeview opened later in the day...
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    Nice Jim.....at noon I saw that photo on the Rose website, but didnt recognize you (but now I know your 2012 ski persona). So, you back at Rose Sunday? How was end of day looking, will they get a few things open?

Sarah, Wilson (4) and I are coming.....so mellow day, but super psyched.

Kid quote:
    Me: Wilson, it is supposed to be cold and very windy tomorrow, I am not sure if it is a good day for kids to ski.
    Wilson: "I want to ski no matter what. I am Norwegian. I dont get cold. And I have lots of good layers I can wear."

There you have it.....guess we are taking him.
    I left at 10:30 or so. Tomorrow could be good IF the lifts turn. The winds may shut it down so definitely check in the a.m. If they are open for me Sunday Rose and Monday Squaw.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Wilson for the win

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Wilson for the win
    Put him together with your kid and you'd have a movie star!
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

as a matter of fact there is ample room for multiple bus parking and there is even a bathroom so all u busfolk can empty your bladders and bowels in the comfort of a forest sercus toilet.

went back this am and the goods are still good but the winds are howling in front of our next system. we got an ok viz window at 7 am as the sun was cracking and still no one else there when we left at 8. all of our trax from yesterday are totally blown in.

long range looks shitty after this next banger so ...................

well, looks like Krystal and I timed it right by ditching Owen with friends tonight - Sugar Bowl should be fun tomorrow, eh?

friday

powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    went back this am and the goods are still good but the winds are howling in front of our next system. we got an ok viz window at 7 am as the sun was cracking and still no one else there when we left at 8.
    Hey I was there at Dark 15, looked like your skin track was heading off towards Roundtop so I figured you guys were gunning for the Moon. Did two runs off elephants back and hit 4 of the little chutes on the way out. Skied great and did not hit a single thing. Windy as all get out though, I got blown over once on the skin track and the skin track was literally disappearing behind me. On top of my last run I was debating if I was gonna do any more and felt the rim ice on my face and decided to bug out. Did 5 runs before I saw 2 other people a splitter and a skier looking like they were on there way out.

I'll note that a bit of a wind slab was forming that sheared very easily in spots, only a few inch's deep, but it potentially could be problematic with another layer of snow on top.

A few shots between some really ugly wind gusts

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9092.JPG 
Views:	1899 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	108362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9100.JPG 
Views:	810 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	108363   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9102.JPG 
Views:	811 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	108364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9112.JPG 
Views:	1791 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	108365  
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 01-22-2012 at 03:39 PM.

anybody know when summit is supposed to be back up and running?

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    anybody know when summit is supposed to be back up and running?
    The sign at the bottom of Roundhouse said Monday at noon. That is pending state inspections so that might be optimistic. I hope it is soon, the lines were no bueno today.
    Twenty-Five Dollars and a six-pack to my name

Yesterday @ Alpine was the first real ski day of 2012 for me. kEpt following patrol as they set the track up lower Keyhole and breaking trail myself further out ea run. got 7 untouched laps out on Palasades. real FRICKIN snow!! Almost forgot how to ski powder again after all these groomers.

Was actually a little worked afterwards and also enjoyed my first real earned après beers of season @ Chammy afterwards (silently chuckling as the usual Squaw suspects staid @ Squaw skiing groomers with a dusting on top and bitching about it)

Taking today off, will be back out there Monday and Tuesday. Especially if Summit spins.
    Last edited by freshies; 01-22-2012 at 06:13 PM.

What's wrong with the summit chair. Blow over in the wind or something?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    What's wrong with the summit chair. Blow over in the wind or something?
    As I was stalking patrol yesterday as they opened more terrain I asked same question. One of the guys said motor burned out, had to order a used one from the great white north, install, test, re-weld some shit to make it fit, etc. Sweet timing on the failed motor:

Bay area peeps gone and it's Mine, all MINE tomorrow!!!!!

Kirkwood was really fun today. Lots of fresh turns past Rabbits and all the early season mini golf from Oops and beyond was radical. The wet snow at the beginning of the storm really spackeled the rocks and in turn helped to avoid dry docking off stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    friday
    Ok, took a break from the Niner game and watched your Video and have a few comments.

1) Why did you come back?
    2) The Blue in those Carbon tops really pops, nice!
    3) Is Splat giving out free prostate exams when you pick up a new set of skis, Talk about full service!

Kirkwood peeps and amateur forecasters: What's the better day to take off and ski kirkwood--tomorrow or Tuesday?

i am neither but how can u not go w/ tuesday based on the forecast???

yeah ja we that was our trak and we just had time for one and done. def major league loading going on. saw that little wind slab too but it was only a couple inches in a major load zone. we skied those lower shots yesterday but our trax were gonzo today. good stuff. the next couple days should be good and hopefully other zones come into play.

even my kids had a blast skiing a pseudo groomer pow late afternoon at the heave. fuck we needed this. c'mon sun/mon storm and give is something that lasts through the next big ugly H

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Kirkwood peeps and amateur forecasters: What's the better day to take off and ski kirkwood--tomorrow or Tuesday?
    Had the same dilemma. I'm going with Monday. Wish I could have both tho.

ordinarily i would say but tomorrow but in this case i'm gonna go with monday.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Yup

think the 2 free passes my season came with are expiring. Free to mag if needed
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Ok, took a break from the Niner game and watched your Video and have a few comments.

1) Why did you come back?
    2) The Blue in those Carbon tops really pops, nice!
    3) Is Splat giving out free prostate exams when you pick up a new set of skis, Talk about full service!
    1. Why indeed, i never got to see the lake even
    2. Yes, but in person it's the carbon that really stands out
    3. Fuck no he charged me for that too!!

Sweat cream was to be had at the Gnarth today. No lines, either.
    Witnessed plenty of idiots poaching closed runs and enjoying stumps, bushes, shrubs, and rocks (why?).
    They opened up a few more legit runs (Flying Squirrel, for one), too.
    Still a few more storms to go before the tree skiing pops off, but what they got was nice.
    Seems I may have to get the binders on my Spats fixed soon, but 87 width with a slight tip rocker worked okay for the day.
    Schmow
    Zow.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Today at alpine did not suck. I hope they keep summit and beaver hike closed again tomorrow. Damn looking at the 31 inches Verbier got overnight makes me wonder why i came home too.