Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ridiculous things potential employers have asked for?

I'll start: Just talked to a recruiter who wants to send my resume to a firm for a job. Super. Oh wait, there is a catch:

They want my high school GPA, my math/verbal SAT's, college GPA AND I have to take a personality test.

I'm 33 by the way and have been working for 10 years in my field. I have no fucking clue what my god damn high school GPA was, nor the scores of a standardized test I took in 1995....

Am I joining Scientology or something? This is insane. Not only is it offensive, but I have NO interest in working for someone who thinks this matters more than what I've been up to in the last few years......

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Am I joining Scientology or something?
    They just ask for your cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

My landlord's stepdad is a PI (think: short, 80 year old Jewish Magnum) and he does a lot of work researching potential employees' credit scores (easy to do), bank accounts, other financial background info, and even past travel. Sounds shady but its usually for sensitive and senior positions.

He even did a background check on me before I moved in. Quite certain he did not do so for Coach.

I'm more interested in the things you ask of you potential employees.

... I have NO interest in working for someone who thinks this matters more than what I've been up to in the last few years......
    Then I guess you won't get the job. Plenty of other applicants where you came from. Seriously. If this is what dissuades you from a job then you better stay where you are. The guy/girl that you would work for at this new position didn't make up these rules, HR did.

I'll start: Just talked to a recruiter who wants to send my resume to a firm for a job. Super. Oh wait, there is a catch:

They want my high school GPA, my math/verbal SAT's, college GPA AND I have to take a personality test.

I'm 33 by the way and have been working for 10 years in my field. I have no fucking clue what my god damn high school GPA was, nor the scores of a standardized test I took in 1995....

Am I joining Scientology or something? This is insane. Not only is it offensive, but I have NO interest in working for someone who thinks this matters more than what I've been up to in the last few years......

For somebody that has been working in the field for over 10 years, asking for someone's H.S. GPA and math/verbal SATs is ridiculous. Sounds like a company you may not want to work for.
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Then I guess you won't get the job. Plenty of other applicants where you came from. Seriously. If this is what dissuades you from a job then you better stay where you are. The guy/girl that you would work for at this new position didn't make up these rules, HR did.
    Word. So far I've had to fire off both my high school & college transcripts and I just got back from completing an aptitude test with a copyright from the 70s. Flaming hoops to jump through are next I believe. But hey, it is a 4 on, 4 off union gig in a mountain town so I'm not complaining.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Not the type of firm with a "HR" department....this comes from the guy who runs the shop who I would report to.

I hear you that it clearly is a employer's market and I'm sure they will get someone to dress in drag and hop on one leg while reciting Pi out to 500 decimal places....just not this man.

HS GPA seems a bit arbitrary to me, especially since these can vary quite a bit from HS to HS (I know kids that are borderline retarded with 4.0s in bumfuck HS systems). I get the SAT scores since they tend to be a standard aptitude test that just and your college GPA gives some indications as well. I personally have no clue what my HS GPA was or where the hell I'd find it.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

A person I know was asked to make a list of any firearms he owned.

Sounds a bit hokey. I just spent the past four months applying/interviewing/testing for two very large aerospace companies and was not once asked for any type of high school/sat scores or transcripts. I'd keep looking for something a bit more solid. Polish the shit out of your resume and buy the book "Knock em' Dead" by Martin Yate.

And try and avoid the headhunters if you can...
    Custom hand made Monoskis in Washington. www.whiteknucklemonoskis.com
    All things related to Monoskiing www.monoski.net

Oh trust me, I abhor headhunters......have literally never met a good, decent one. Their whole game is a volume based one and they just want to jam you into whatever job they can asap. This guy was referred by a former colleague I respect so I was somewhat optimistic at first...

You were hungover when you took the SATs, weren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    You were hungover when you took the SATs, weren't you?
    Ha, I wish. More like flying high on Adderall.......

My wife is trying to get hired at a really great company (retail store that shall remain un-named) - and at this point she's had 3 of 5 interviews.

After the next interview in Denver she will have to fly to Minneapolis to interview at the corporate HQ.

With so many applicants they are looking to see who will jump through hoops to show how serious they are. HR wants to go through 50 resumes instead of 500.

Still a very silly way to screen applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    My wife is trying to get hired at a really great company (retail store that shall remain un-named) - and at this point she's had 3 of 5 interviews.

After the next interview in Denver she will have to fly to Minneapolis to interview at the corporate HQ.
    Let me guess. Is it a Results-Only-Work-Environment?

Give the recruiter a semen sample fresh off the tap on his desk. Then scream "DO YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE"?! and then run out the door slapping your ass and making pig noises

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Let me guess. Is it a Results-Only-Work-Environment?
    Nope, it's a straight 40 hr/week with good salary and great benefits. Cool company - none of the sales staff are commission based... and she's not applying for a sales position anyway.

I regularly hire student workers, 20 year old kids, often with little to no experience in the field I'm hiring them for. A lot of people would think their GPA would be all they are coming in with, I don't take notice unless it's 4.0 or under 2. If they include a high school GPA, I'll typically toss their resume unless it has something else on it that blows my mind.

I look for direct experience (really rare), somewhat related experience (more common), jobs where they've had to do customer service and deal with the public (teaches you not to be a dick- attitude is very important with me) or any other random tidbits that catch my eye. One of top students got an interview because he coached tennis to kids, I knew he could handle chaos.

I bring them in for an interview, that is really a personality test. I give them an actual problem to fix, something similar to what they would find in the field. I'm not looking to see if they can fix it or not, if they can great, but that usually doesn't happen- I can teach them the finer details. I'm watching first to see if they get nervous or flustered, if they do, no job. Next I'm watching their thought process, see what they do first, what they do when that doesn't work, etc. If they give up quickly, no job, I don't want to be called every night at 8:30pm. If they stay calm and apply what looks like logic, I hire them.

Translation: What happens in the hiring process is not always what you think it is, they are trying to sniff you out, figure out who you are. How you respond to some asinine questions will give clues about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

I started a thread years back (too lazy to look for it) and posted a copy of a document that a law firm wanted me to sign to simply get an interview. Random drug tests. Agree to no alcohol AT ALL during employment. Personality test. Background check. Credit check. Assent to allow them to call friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    A person I know was asked to make a list of any firearms he owned.
    Was the job with the Postal Service?

I'm going to have to agree with Boomer on this one. In my field most employers don't care if you were raised by wolves much less what your GPA in high school was. Hell, after your first entry-level job they barely give a damn where you went to college.

Although, if I was raised by wolves, that would be pretty cool and I'd probably include it on my resume.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Was the job with the Postal Service?
    nicely played sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Do you guys remember the thread where Rontele was first applying for the head fry cook position at Burger King and he was mad they asked him for a social security card?