Some difficulties with moving to Hawaii

I've been reading a lot lately. Digging past the tourist baloney on the internet, finding stuff written in pidgen. My real goal was learning about gathering, growing, fishing, and hunting on the islands because I have a dedication to natural and wild food that's even more important to me than surfing or golf. The islands are still abundant and there's even a lot of more recent invasives that I can take and benefit the more fragile evolved life there. I'm going to get me some wild pig.

So I'm going to be the latest invador. Trying to be an intelligent one that integrates myself seamlessly. Try to fit in. I have no goals of laying down more concrete or ripping off the island for my personal profit. Just want to live in peace and take what I need. And give more than I take.

The whole racism thing has got me down right now. Trying to figure out if it will really be a buzzkill. I guess not if I don't let it. Hate between people bothers me, whether it's directed towards me or not. And there seems to be a lot of general discontent there, amongst non haoles. Maybe a culture of discontent? Maybe I'm getting a skewed perspective, a lot of squeaky wheels. I dunno.

I grew up as a minority in south Texas. There were Mexican girls at school that were bullies and I admit that I brawled until I had a coach that I admired that shamed me to stop. I don't even know if that was about race or just about misbehaving. I also had a lot of Mexican friends and one boyfriend for a couple of years that was very raza. I enjoyed my friends a lot there and wonder if it could be the same in Hawaii. But maybe they'll just give me stink eye and ask me why I don't go home. How am I supposed to answer that? My true born home is in Germany, no freaking way I would leave the US. I love the US like any immigrant.

And I'm not gonna be hanging out at the Ritz-Carlton. I'll be exploring every nook and cranny, just like I do everywhere I go. I'm sure I'll get into the "wrong neighborhood" sooner rather than later. What's gonna happen when I bring my thrownet out to the beach? Am I gonna get a beat down?

I feel like I've come a long way in my life in learning how to live in the moment and find contentment and happiness without greed and ambition as motivators. I want to go to Hawaii because of that. For the "island lifestyle" that I experienced for one short week on Kauai. Was that just a facade? Is Kauai different from the other islands?

Another strange factor is that I have no superstition. I'm an atheist. I'm a humanist. I look to science for true understanding. Maybe all you guys take what I'm saying for granted, but it's a big contradiction to the Hawaiian culture. Of course I appreciate culture and how it enhances our lives, but I don't believe in letting it hold us back intellectually. I do appreciate the concept of ancestor worship and I can appreciate insight that is gained from stories and beliefs. But I don't believe. Period. I have to figure out how to show respect and still be true to who I am. Staying off sacred land, not fishing for rays or sharks, using the Hawaiian language, those things are easy at least after I learn them all, but I'm worried about subtleties.

I guess I feel a little overwhelmed right now. This is not going to be a stroll in the park. It's not Disneyland. I have set a lot of challenges before myself and I never guessed that the human factor would be the greatest one of all. C'est la vie.

Thanks for reading my ramblings here. As a chick, I need to talk. Helps me to think. And I'd be grateful for any comments or experiences or whatever you got to offer.

Aloha and Mahalo
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Get one of those sea turtle stickers to put on the back of your car?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Get one of those sea turtle stickers to put on the back of your car?
    In the early 80s I went on a week-long dive trip to Grand Cayman. We were served turtle every single day. I was really wishing for something different to eat.

Won't have a car, although if I shipped my Tacoma I could sell it on Kauai for way more than it's worth.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

That is a really complicated question. I do think the internet is skewing your perception. There is a certain contingent of Hawaiians(sovereignty movement folks) that may have issues with the haoles. However, by and large, people get along pretty well.Of course, like anywhere else, there can be issues, and there can be a bias against haoles among some people, but it's not that big of a deal. I think the trick for you will be meeting the local folks who are into hunting/fishing, etc. They do not tend to be the types hanging with the mainlanders who just moved here to work for a year or two.Like you said, though. You're a chick. That has potential advantages in terms of meeting some local guys. For the usual obvious reasons. Just make sure they're not assholes. We have our share. I think if you have a good attitude and come wanting to learn, you'll generally do better. The attitude from some mainland haoles who come here expecting it to be just like where they came from can cause problems with the locals. Also, I know I said this before, but if there was anyway not to live in the most touristy areas (which I know with no car is difficult), that would be helpful. Living Lahaina or Kihei side, you will have a tendency to mostly meet the transitory population that is here for the short term. Anyway, that's a short answer. The culture here and relationships among the varying groups is pretty complex and I don't type well enough to explain it well. If you want to discuss on telephone sometime, I can probably give you a better idea, or just take the plunge and figure it out along the way. Aloha Steve

Have you decided where you want to live yet, and what you want to do for a living out here?

As for the haole thing, just don't be a dumbass and you'll be fine. Food is plentiful off the land in some places, not in others. You have to know where to gathering that doesnt piss someone off. Best to lend a hand at a local farm to get your food for free, there are plenty. Fishing can be a bit territorial but like anywhere else. As for the pigs we hunt with dogs a knife and our bare hands.
    Not doing my job right now

Agree with ProhoHater. And yes, I was going to mention about the pig hunting. You will need to meet some upcountry portugese(portagee) if moving to maui. And yes Portugese are from western europe, but they are viewed as a distinct racial/cultural group in hawaii. they are big pig hunters. I believe most if is done in upcountry. The best mountain biking area in Maui is a big pig hunting area. But you do need a pack of dogs to chase down the pig, and hold it while you kill it with a knife. I haven't done personally, but have talked to hunters a bunch. also, re fishing, I'm not a fisherman either, but do know there are different kinds. There is spear fishing, throwing net, shore fishing (sometimes going out a ways for Ulua) and fishing off boats. if you do shore fishing for reef fish, be aware that there is a rare poisening that can occur called ciguatera. It's relatively rare, but I was fortunate (along with about 6 other people) to get it about 10 years ago. Not a good time. There are test kits you can buy if it's a concern. The previous comment is correct. You should be fine as long as you're not a dumb ass.

Eddie Would Go.

Seriously, pick up a copy of the book and read it.

You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for talking to me. Maybe I will see you in real life one day. If you ski in Colorado this winter I would be happy to take you to my favorite places.

Portugese, huh? Yet another language? It's like Spanish right? I think straight up Hawaiian will tax my mentality already. I've said Mele Kalikimaka so many times. And don't I have to learn to understand pidgen too, even if I just speak straight english? And I have to memorize all these different fish and plants and so many other things. It's a big challenge, a whole new world.

I don't know which island. See who offers me a job. Part time at a golf course/club would be perfect, if you know anybody. The only connection I've got is a pro at Oahu Country Club, right next to Honolulu, which is the only place I don't want to be. But I could drive a cart/bags/starter there. Ideal would be serving for fine dining. Then I get some good food to eat.

As far as the pigs, I'm just blown away at hunting with dogs and knife. So brave. Keeping it really real. Where I come from the javelinas are shot with large handguns like 357 or 44. Mean bastards. I guess I could bring one home myself with a snare and a pistol, if it came to that. I'll just ride my bike and walk around and learn though. Find the tracks. Should be easy enough to find some hunters between barking dogs and 4wd rigs. A carcass slung over the top would be a pretty good clue.

Don't laugh, but I've got this idea about spam. I used to can our meat for our sailboat, carne guisada. Our ice would run out after three days and then it was warm rum and coke and stew every day. So I'm not afraid of canning meat. Spam would be a lot easier too, it's just ground up shoulder and ham and salt and sugar and I would need to cook down some gelatin too, no biggee. Well also the pink comes from Nitrate and I don't know about that. Maybe use paprika instead.

So wouldn't you island boys like to eat some spam made from your own animals? Much healthier for your body and the planet. Maybe even pono is the right word? I just need the jars back.

Plenty of other thoughts on getting food and making money, never short on ideas. But I don't want to wear out my welcome when I'm not even there yet. Maybe just ride my bike and snorkel to look at fish. See what there is to see. No need to do too much.

I'll say one more thing that I think is kinda funny. I will eat the fish that is used as bait. I know to clean small squid - gotten pretty fast at it this summer. I can butterfly a sardine to get the bones out. Hopefully I don't get the cig, will try to distinguish for non-predatory, but I have a habit of eating just about anything.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by snowmonster View Post
    Eddie Would Go.

That looks great. Will read. Also Michener's book I suppose.
    Henry David Thoreau

I'm reading Fierce Heart right now. Same author as Eddie Would Go. It probably does a better job at explaining attitudes towards haoles.

I lived in Hawaii for a while as a teen. Never got vibed on probably because I blended in due to my Asian heritage. Just hang loose, respect the locals and learn to appreciate the local culture like eating spam musubi for lunch.

Aloha.

+1 ... and the title of this thread is "First Class Problems" worthy.

Eddie Would Go.

I'm reading Fierce Heart right now. Same author as Eddie Would Go. It probably does a better job at explaining attitudes towards haoles.

I lived in Hawaii for a while as a teen. Never got vibed on probably because I blended in due to my Asian heritage. Just hang loose, respect the locals and learn to appreciate the local culture like eating spam musubi for lunch.

Aloha.
    You guys don't really know me, but I exited corporate America in 2003. Never going back. I always was just a dirty hippy anyway. Played the game to raise my son.

I got some very big gripes against modern civilization myself, which is certainly of euro origin and taken to a new level by the culture of materialism and greed in the US. Between that and worldwide population increase it's just unsustainable and I don't want to see Hawaii overrun either. In Colorado I was surrounded by national forest, protected land. Here in California, the hand of man is everywhere. I suffer for it. I'm not political, but I definitely support Hawaii's need to protect itself, the land and the culture. It's legit. I just want some food and a roof over my head. My footprint is miniscule. Well except for the airplane ride. Would sail if I had the chance.

Luv the spam. In Austin we had an annual spam cookoff. Spamorama.

Couldn't find any books by Coleman at the library. At least I know it's out there. Did request Michener's history which is about a bazillion pages long.

Thanks for reassurances. Good thing I've got a great winter in front of me, or I could just move tomorrow. When you say hang loose, it's like I can breathe. Does anybody ever say "take it easy" any more? What happened to that?
    Henry David Thoreau

so did ya ever head to the islands or was it just a pipe dream ???

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    so did ya ever head to the islands or was it just a pipe dream ???
    Yeah, I did. Lived on Maui for 4 months. Great experience.
    Henry David Thoreau

fucking white guilt, we suck!
    anyone of euro origin should kys, right now
    and don't listen to rog, racism is alive and well in the great state of Maine.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    Yeah, I did. Lived on Maui for 4 months. Great experience.
    cool good for you,, why did you leave ??? pretty much paradise there,,,. I lived on the south shore for a year and lanai for a few months hanging art in the new hotels being built at the time.

^^^I'm guessing because living in a tourist destination is really tough. Maui, providence, key west or kenai, it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, another day in paradise.

I did love it. Living there was something I needed to get out of my system, or maybe into my system. But I have other things in my life. First and foremost I'm a skier. Second I have family obligations in San Diego, although I could have spent a few more years in Hawaii if I really wanted.

I'm sure I'll go back, I've got friends there and I love the food and the water and the culture, it's an easy place to be in so many ways. I really enjoy Mexico too and hope to get down there for some surfing...
    Henry David Thoreau

Haha, you got me to go back and read my earlier ramblings. Overanalyzing! I went to Maui, worked on a farm on the side of the volcano, got a Tongan boyfriend, surfed and kayaked most days. Sunsets on the west side are so fine, especially if you are on the water. It's hot there.
    Henry David Thoreau

Henry David Thoreau