US/Canada over New Year (from NZ)

Kia ora and greetings from NZ!
    My wife and I are looking at going on a N Hemi ski trip over New Year. We're in Wellington, NZ, so Euroland is out (30hr+ one way), and we'd like to do a longer trip to Japan one day.
    So here's where your excellent advice comes in: What are good options for a 10-14 day trip? Needs to be reasonably easy to get to (we'd be likely to fly into San Fran or Vancouver), not ridiculously expensive, varied terrain (something for me, something for the missus), good early-season snow etc etc.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

I'd definitely consider SLC... Airport less than an hour from the slopes, plenty of cheap lodging available, a huge variety of resorts depending on what you're looking for, as well as lots of easy access BC.

Plus, it's more likely than most places in the american west to have good snow that time of year...

I'm also from NZ and have spent the last 2 seasons in Tahoe. Definitely fits the bill. Probably the easiest place to get to as its an easy drive from SF. Squaw, Alpine, Kirkwood ect all have awesome terrain, not to mention December was ridonculous for snow last yr. Plus its such a cool area.
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

Thanks guys!
    BCB, what's the story with transport and SLC? Do you have to have a car, or can you get a shuttle to the snow? Car hire expensive in SLC? Will definitely do some searching, but any info would be great.
    DHogg, any further info on Tahoe? Accomodation, best terrain etc?
    How about Whistler?
    Feel free to chime in.
    Cheers

Also spent some time in whistler, and that would also be a good option. A little more expensive though.

Best terrain in Tahoe is Squaw. However Alpine is almost as good and passes there are cheaper. I was there for 5 months, so rented a house. However there are motels around. Search craigslist for vacation rentals too + there are lots of property managers for vacation rentals however they usually sleep 4+ people.

feel free to PM me if you have specific ?'s
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Thanks guys!
    BCB, what's the story with transport and SLC? Do you have to have a car, or can you get a shuttle to the snow? Car hire expensive in SLC? Will definitely do some searching, but any info would be great.
    Depends on whether you want to stay at one resort or travel around a lot. There are shuttles from the airport to any of the resorts, but it's hard to get between Park City (PCMR, Deer Valley, Canyons) and Cottonwood Canyons (Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton) without a car. If you're fine staying in Park City, or staying up at the top of Big or Little Cottonwood Canyon, there's no real reason to get a car. Lodging will definitely be cheaper if you stay down in Salt Lake City, and there are cheap busses (I believe they're free with a day ticket) up the canyons, but you still might want to have a car to get around if you go that route.

2 wheel drive cars aren't that expensive, but if you're planning on driving up the cottonwood canyons it's worth getting four wheel drive. Unless you get unlucky, 2 wheel drive is probably fine to make it up to Park City (although if it's snowing the day you head up, that could be slippery)

Whistler is worth checking out if you have never been there, but keep in mind that you will line up and over pay for just about everything, especially at Xmas/New Years. Pretty much everywhere else in British Columbia will be a lot less crowded. BTW, B.C. stands for "Bring Cash".

Just realize that it is the busiest time of the year and conditions can vary that early in the season.

I probably would also suggest SLC, because rental cars are cheap, accommodations abundant and it's only a 5-6 hour drive to a bunch of different zones.

Book your flight and rental car, but make a reservation at a hotel in the valley that you can cancel with 24 hour notice. Then if it's not good there, drive to where it is?

Impossible to say without pics of the wife.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi