Kirkwood lodging/Ski lease advice

Anyone have thoughts on trying to find a seasonal lease that's convenient to the Wood? Do people generally stay close to the hill or in South lake and commute?

Finally decided to bust out of North Tahoe but it loks like lodging may be a bit tougher down there.

I'll see if my old lease has any space open next year. They'd require a meet and great, but are a great group of mostly snow boarders. The place is old, chilly and does not have an oven (or hot tub), but is super cheap. 4 months ran me between $750-$900.

PM longshortlong. He leases somewhere in the valley. Most places are $$$$$. And there is nothing, except what is in the valley. High utilities.

Count me in this hunt as well if you don't mind me barging. Spent a day poking around the Wood and it was evident one lives there or suffers a burly daily drive from SLT or Mindin.

Meyers Pride!

I was in a series of ski houses near the border of SLT & Meyers (near the Y) for about seven or eight years- we had no problem finding reasonably priced bungalows to rent for the season.

We definitely got skunked a few times with the highway closed, but I think being close to groceries/ bars/ restaurants/ other people definitely made up for it- KW (used to) get really, really dead after the slopes closed. It was also nice having the option of coming over 50 if 88 was closed.

(I'm sure by now Kirkwood has a booming night life!)
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Imz View Post
    Meyers Pride!

this is the lolz
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

from xmas valley to kirkwood is under 30 minutes with good roads. the downside is that for nightlife you have the divided sky, which is good, but the only thing for miles through cop infested waters. you do end up with cheaper groceries and 50 access. i would argue that for every day you get skunked with 88 closed, you will gain another by not being stuck at kirkwood when they are closed. on wind hold days you can almost always find something open at heavenly or sierra, and waterhouse would be 10 minutes up the road. of course, if you tour, kirkwood's not a bad place to be when they're closed anyway.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    from xmas valley to kirkwood is under 30 minutes with good roads. the downside is that for nightlife you have the divided sky, which is good, but the only thing for miles through cop infested waters. you do end up with cheaper groceries and 50 access. i would argue that for every day you get skunked with 88 closed, you will gain another by not being stuck at kirkwood when they are closed. on wind hold days you can almost always find something open at heavenly or sierra, and waterhouse would be 10 minutes up the road. of course, if you tour, kirkwood's not a bad place to be when they're closed anyway.

powdork sums it pretty good. Kirkwood blows for apre since the Beaver went away yet is a good place to be snowed in and to enjoy not having the drive. Mike - pm ottoparts. He has some good knowledge of what's up in the valley rental scene and you two dudes would get along great anyways since you both have kids you're getting to the hill.

If any landlord is listening I'm looking for a room to rent December-April at Kirkwood.

Thanks everyone.

Spalt, spoke with Mike...appreciate the heads up.

After plenty of nights at south lake motel 6 last year this thread certainly caught my eye. Hopefully I can make it up enough this winter to justify a lease, although it does seem like a lot of them are more luxurious than I require... If others are putting anything together, please drop me a line. Otherwise, maybe it's time for a sleep platform in the back of the Subaru. Any one do much overnight parking at the Sno-Parks?

Hey Nat, you may not know the story behind your avatar but thats a picture of a good friend of mine getting seriously messed up. Would be cool if you could come up with a different one. Thanks.

Yes, KW currently has no night life worth experiencing, but I thinks most of you go there to ride. Just ride hard all day, go home, cook a meal, drink some beers and go to bed early. Hit it first thing in the morning. After spending several years sleeping in the valley, it is certainly the easiest way to get on the slopes and saves an hour plus of driving each day. After driving up from the Bay, I don't want to do any more driving. If you can find a place, and don't mind missing some night life, then I say it is 100% worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    of course, if you tour, kirkwood's not a bad place to be when they're closed anyway.
    This. Bring your skins and there is never a down day at the Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    since you both have kids you're getting to the hill.
    And this. No need to pack the youngsters in the car. No need to hang in the (crappy) lodge if someone gets tired. Take the shuttle home for lunch instead of spending $20 on corn dogs. Get out early, or stay out late, when the rest of the family calls it quits. And once spring rolls around, and it stays light, plenty of time to build a killer sled track, tube or shoe the meadow.

Quote Originally Posted by NatEE View Post
    Any one do much overnight parking at the Sno-Parks?
    You can park in the KW lots. Upper Red Cliffs is pretty low key, or buy a pass and stay with the RVs. Sno-parks are much more remote if shit hits the fan. Red Cliff stays unlocked all night, and in an emergency, you can crash on the floor there. Or take a dump. If you need more tips, PM me. There are a few good secrets to making the car camping thing happen. I did it for 5 years in the back of a pick up truck. I found it to be much better than the motel 6.

And then there is always the sunrise/ sunset runs on the spur. Sure, you can live in town and make that happen, but it takes getting up very early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemcee View Post
    Hey Nat, you may not know the story behind your avatar but ... Would be cool if you could come up with a different one. Thanks.
    I've got nothing but respect for that individual, so in reflection that was a thoughtless choice on my part. My apologies. Thanks for letting me know in a helpful fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    You can park in the KW lots. Upper Red Cliffs is pretty low key, or buy a pass and stay with the RVs. Sno-parks are much more remote if shit hits the fan. Red Cliff stays unlocked all night, and in an emergency, you can crash on the floor there. Or take a dump. If you need more tips, PM me. There are a few good secrets to making the car camping thing happen. I did it for 5 years in the back of a pick up truck. I found it to be much better than the motel 6.

And then there is always the sunrise/ sunset runs on the spur. Sure, you can live in town and make that happen, but it takes getting up very early in the morning.
    Good to know there are some people still doing it, although I gather KW has tried to prevent it from time to time? I agree that after the drive from the bay, and skiing all day I'm not up for a whole lot, especially if it was a 4 am wake up...
    Last edited by NatEE; 08-19-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Imz View Post
    The owner of the Tower Bar thinks so, too. He retired rich and put the place up for sale.

Ski-leasing in the valley is expensive, and utilities are sky high. I've been leasing one that works out to about $1800 each for Jan-Apr. I've heard of other ski-leases where members get full access for ~$1000 Dec-Apr. Some have huttub access, and you can buy a KCA daypass for ~$10. Kirkwood Real Estate manages most of the ski-leases, though there are private arrangements if you hunt around.

The dream of course is to be there when then road closes and the mountain opens. What usually happens is the mountain closes too, or the road closes before you can get there. Whether you get to live the dream or not, the big win is avoiding traffic, parking, and driving in shitty conditions. There's nothing better than heading to a comfy chair and a beer after a day of skiing. Also, with a place in the valley you can ignore the rumors that the spur is about to close, and ski approaching storms right up to the bell (or drive up a day early to beat the storm).

Nothing is close to KW, so plan ahead to bring everything you need. KW has a small store with limited hours (plan to get groceries in Jackson). There's 3 restaurants, closed at 8, and a bar. There's a nice mountain frequently covered in deep pow.

If you're gonna dirtbag it, keep your food in the car or lose it to the coyotes.

You might consider buying - lots of places are for sale. Keep in mind that you'll be paying for the new power plant and proposed grid connection on top of sky high HOA. By my math, you're looking at north of 70k per homeowner.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Looking for one more, I'd like a reasonably nice place, hot tub access, and internet access etc. 2k or so from Dec to April sounds great if its available
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

^^^^ I think the point LSL was making, is you need to search for it. Leases in the valley are not easy to come by.

Of course, there is always Rockstar Hostel. Have not yet been in to look around, but met the host in the pre-opennng line on a powder day last year. Bunks start at $25 and they have wifi.

If you don't need the advantages of a lease (such as leaving your shit (ski gear, groceries, etc.) up in the mountains, this could be the cheapest way to go.

Hey Ottime (and everyone else) - i am also in on this ski lease hunt in the kirkwood valley.

When you say hunt around for ski leases -- I am doing that now -- do you have any suggestions on where to look? I have tried TGR forums and also snowpals with limited success. I will try kirkwood real estate and see what they have. If anyone has any suggestions where to go who to ask - i would be stoked.

powdork - the skinning access around kwood is the reason i got the pass (and the pow + sweet price).

Now lets all hope for a sweet second year of La nina..

Quote Originally Posted by FlakeShredder View Post
    Hey Ottime (and everyone else) - i am also in on this ski lease hunt in the kirkwood valley.

When you say hunt around for ski leases -- I am doing that now -- do you have any suggestions on where to look? I have tried TGR forums and also snowpals with limited success. I will try kirkwood real estate and see what they have. If anyone has any suggestions where to go who to ask - i would be stoked.

powdork - the skinning access around kwood is the reason i got the pass (and the pow + sweet price).

Now lets all hope for a sweet second year of La nina..
    Check CL daily now that it is September. Things may pop up there. I've seen a number over the years.

Contact the Rockstar Hostel. They may know some one in the valley or even have a season deal at his property. My old lease is still expected to be full, but they know will contact me if spots open up.

Anything through Kirkwood Real Estate will be $$$. Depending on what you have to spend, there was a very nice house at the top of Danberg for lease. Great location. $7k/mo. I think it is a 4BR + plus extra 1BR apartment. Lots of floor space. Could work out for a group of 10 who have some money to spend. Not sure about utilities, but the space is huge, so it will cost to keep it warm.

And there is no skinning access in the valley. The terrain all kind of sucks. All the good skinning is out at Round Top, everyone knows.

there are usually 1 or 2 ads for ski leases in the Kirkwood general store. they are posted by the deli side of the store so you can look for leases while waiting on your lunch

Thanks guys -- I am doing all that now! Well all that except the kirkwood general store. Tough to get up there being trapped in the bay area during the week. Round Top hmmm I have some work ahead of me figuring out slack country / skinning in kwood.

Ill drop rockstar a line -- I did a check on KRE (kirkwood real estate) and there properties are pretty steep .. 7k a month (though super sweet) sounds a bit tooo moneyed unfortunately.

If anyone has any other ideas or any ski leases they have two spots - let me know - I am always interested!

South Lake Lease

I've been in a lease for the past two years in South Lake........Pioneer and Cold Creek. The ride too and from Kwood can be a pain depending on weather. However, everyone in my rides at Kirkwood.

Looks like we will have 5/6 returning members out of 10 total. I believe that we have 2 or 3 that are already in line to sign up. Price last year was $1,100 up front, with a $160 return at the end of the season. In addition to our house, I know someone with another house on Pioneer.

Once we get the ball rolling, and are looking to fill, I will post the information in this thread

2011-2012 Ski Lease

So here's the deal. The guy that organizes my ski lease has decided to head to North Lake this year. However, I have the opportunity to organize the house. Just putting out some feeler's to see who is interested.

2552 Humboldt. South Lake Tahoe (Pioneer and Cold Creek)

December 1st-End of April
    10 People
    $1,100 up front, got a $160 refund at the end of the season
    Plenty of parking:5-7cars
    Hot Tub
    $25/Night Guest Fee's
    No Full time residents

Older A Frame house (1 Bunk Room sleeps 4, 1 Queen BR, 1 Loft with King Size Bed, 1 Pullout Couch, large living room and floorspace).

PM with any questions, or for more details.

Hey, keep the riff raff out of my neighborhood! I've seen all the empties laying outside that place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'm the most extreme skier in my office. I'll see your III and raise you one level of radness.

Quote Originally Posted by dhklauer View Post
    So here's the deal. The guy that organizes my ski lease has decided to head to North Lake this year. However, I have the opportunity to organize the house. Just putting out some feeler's to see who is interested.

2552 Humboldt. South Lake Tahoe (Pioneer and Cold Creek)

December 1st-End of April
    10 People
    $1,100 up front, got a $160 refund at the end of the season
    Plenty of parking:5-7cars
    Hot Tub
    $25/Night Guest Fee's
    No Full time residents

Older A Frame house (1 Bunk Room sleeps 4, 1 Queen BR, 1 Loft with King Size Bed, 1 Pullout Couch, large living room and floorspace).

PM with any questions, or for more details.
    Dude If I didn't have big travel plans for this season I would for sure hit you up on this. Keep me in the loop next year as I'll be a for sure.