Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys

WTB: 9' Raft Oars

Looking for 2 or 3 9' raft oars for a 13' Otter. With or without blades, preferably used Cataracts or Sawyers of the composite sort. Thanks!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Ive got two pretty new 9 1/2 foot counterbalanced black cataracts dont think the blades are new though let me see what shape their in what their going for and what it would cost me to replace them as the mrs. doesnt like the my longer ones
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

If you're in the pig sty well i'm in bozangeles pm sent...

SFB- Are they 9 1/2' shafts, or is that the length with a blade? I think 9 1/2' shafts may be a little long for my 13' Otter and the boney water I'll be rowing. Then again, I'm fairly new at this and could be convinced otherwise. The only reason I'm looking for 9'ers is because that's what my raft guide buddy told me to do. Any insight you can lend beyond his will be much appreciated.

Lex-I'm living down here in the booming metropolis of Bozeman for the summer too, PM sent.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    9 1/2 + blade. Its a pretty subjective thing. Some people like longer . I find longer is better for me crabbing. Counterbalanced works for me but I know a lot of guides who hate it. Cheapest and easiest to learn is metal/plastic carlisle with an oar right. Good that your blade is going to be where its most effective and definately makes it easier in faster/white water negative you dont get much feather or wrist snap and crabbing is much harder. You can put those on cataracts but not sure if the molded oar sleeve would go over a rope wrap. I like the cat sgg models and the snap similiar to wood. L8apx and I stopped by the saywer/smoker booth @ OR and those guys make a fkna awesome product but wood anything requires maintence and not quite as durable.
    and I didnt even bother asking price or proform availibilty. Your raft guide bro ought to be able to proform NRS and looks if the cataract 9 w/ a rope wraps ~$150 and blades $70.
    The wife poo pooed my selling her sticks . advanced comp hooked me up but zinged me pretty good on the two peice cb spare. where Im at right now is Id like to have a 11 footer for fishing/guiding and most of my rowing, but if and when I ever hit the lotto and get back on the mid fork of the salm and get to try and dory it Id want 9 footers and my wife would be happy and row better w/ those. Its like skis though 5cm or 6in on the shaft doesnt really seem much to me but when in tight trees or white water could be huge.
    I dont know where and how much you plan on rowing and I havent rowed a lot of rubber so factor that in.
    Try and call or email cataract (advanced composits) here in SLC and see if they have any blems occasionally they do. Not sure if Im still on their pro deal /guide roster or if I still qualify, but Id be happy to pick them up ship or bring them up to the fishin summit 4 U. A few calls to various large raft outfitters may find you some good ddeals to.
    pm if I can help
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Thanks for the info SFB, I'll try getting in touch with them. Lexi's banker won't let him sell either, so I'm still looking!

Polecats are a nice option for glass that won't break the bank. Been on the same set with my spares hanging on my boat for 6 years now.

You might consider 8.5 to 9'. I would try both-I thought I would want longer for my 13' Spider but went with 8.5 (I'm 6', 200 lbs.). You want speed as much as power in really active water and a longer oar is harder to get rpm's with. Plus, where we boat, rocks makes lines tight and the shorter oars fit between rocks easier. I tried 8' and they were not cool but I was on a different boat with a different setup.

frame width, oar tower, seat height and personal preference all come into play. On my 13' with a 60" frame I run 9's. For fishing, 8.5's might be better but 9's are a good compromise between fishing and whitewater. I also think Pole Cats are good for the $. Oar-rites and pins/clips would suck for fishing IMO. The ability to feather your oar is key.

Set your shit up on the ground and figure it out with a piece of PVC or conduit etc. Remember oar shaft lengths nominally include the blade so a "9' shaft" is about 7.5' long.

I'm borrowing a buddy's loooong ass (11') oars for an easy float/ overnighter tomorrow, so I think I'll be able to get a pretty good idea of how much shorter I'd want them after 2 days of rowing/fishing. I have rowed this boat with 9'ers before, and didn't consciously wish they were any shorter or longer.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Polecats too (especially for the money), so I think that's what I'll buy locally if I end up having to buy new. I also thought about just buying some aluminum Carlisles to get by until ski season, but I really don't see the point.

Yep, that was brutal. 8.5 or 9'ers will do.

Proforming new ones, thanks to all for the advice