Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should I go to Japan January 2012

Last winter my wife and I had contemplated Japan for January 2012. Now the emphasis is on the word 'had'. I know many of the mags are based in Japan and would like their expert opinion whether we should reconsider. Damage to infrastructure? Will I glow in the dark? Will anybody even show up? etc.

I hit up Japan in January last year. If I had the time off work, I'd risk radiation for that deep snow and small lift lines.

I say giv'er.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparwood Dave View Post
    Will I glow in the dark?
    did you go to Shambala, if so ... you might be glowing now ?

But seriously I have often thot about Japan myself and then wondered about the earthquake thing last season

Helldawg Guest
    I'd give Japan another year or 2 before I'd mess with it.

Plenty of other sick destinations that have not had recent nuclear disasters...

If you jib there's no need to worry if they mark the booters with dye in flat light; they will fluoresce on their own.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You donít stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Knee jerk response here: GO.

I can't even believe you are second guessing this decision. I wouldn't care if there was headless radioactive zombies running around there. If you have a chance to go, go ! That's one of the top places I need to go and as soon as I have an opportunity to go, I'm on a plane. Tickets might even be cheaper now so you should take advantage of it.
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

I'm working as a ski instructor at Tsugaike Kogen in Nagano, Japan in Jan. 2012. It's one of the Hakuba resorts. If you decide to ski around there I'd be happy to show you around.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Indulge your gay gangbang fantasies in deep rural Georgia instead

I have been looking forward to a season light on tourists competing for the pow but I am also aware that Japan's ski tourism industry hangs on a thread and the last thing they need is people to be frightened away for no reason.

Firstly, there is zero damage to any infrastructure that would effect your skiing in any of the major ski areas. I think there was lift damage at Nozawa onsen from a sympathetic quake on March 12 but nothing major. The rail, roads, lodging etc are all 100% going anywhere you would want to go. Believe what you want about what is being disclosed regarding the release of radiation into the environment but radiation of the levels you will be exposed to in Nagano, Niigata, Hokkaido etc. will be negligible, especially over the time you would be here on holiday. You will be exposed to more radiation on your flight over. This year may, in fact, be the best year to go with the shorter lift lines and less competition for powder. The biggest drawback I can see to coming to Japan right now would be the strength of the yen.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

If I have the cash in January I am going no questions asked!! Fewer tourists, hell for all we know increased radiation might result in higher snowfall levels .... But in all seriousness staying away will hurt the Japanese ski Industry at a time when they really need to be supported. If any of the Euro guys are going or people state side flying over and do not have a consolidated group yet get a thread going and see how much interest there is??

Cheers

I plan to ski Japan in January 2012 - one week in Hakuba and one week in Hokkaido. I am traveling solo and would like to find people to ski with.

The entire country is a radio active wasteland, hoards of headless radioactive zombies roam the mountains. The snow that falls this season will be toxic, stay away if you want to live.

All that and the dollar isn't worth jack shit, exchange rate is at 75 and dropping.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Indulge your gay gangbang fantasies in deep rural Georgia instead
    You should either PM this guy or GO

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Hokkaido is waiting for you

If it was really serious they would not let you go. Stay away from local produce and tap water just in case

Snowboard Courses

Will be there in February this year. Any suggestions? Best place to stay near Niseko/Sapporo?
    He called the shit poop!

Heading to Hokkaido for 10 days the last week of Jan/first week of Feb. Will be based out of Niseko with 4 of my good friends from Mammoth. Japan was a no-brainer, we wanted to take a trip where it was pretty much guaranteed we were going to get dumped on and there's no better time and place than Hokkaido in late January

I'll be in Hakuba for the winter PM me if you will be in the area let's ski some pow.
    http://zpski.blogspot.com/

Edit less. Hobo more.

Well sparwood Dave, I'm sorry to ruin it all for you ... but ...

Just like fernie, aussies are going to Japan in greater numbers each year !!!
    No one has anything bad to say about the place, and word of mouth over the last few years has got everyone buzzed for japan.

Yo stump chock, how is the aussie population over there ???invassive like everywhere else.
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

^^how is the aussie population over there ???invassive like everywhere else.

When I was up in Hokkaido over Xmas/NYs in '08/'09 and '09/'10 there were many around Niseko. The village itself isnt that big nor scattered around that much compared with say Hakuba. So you can definitely see and hear more Aussies while riding lifts, at restaurants, etc; but, when you leave Niseko for other Hokkaido resorts like Rusutsu, Furano, Kamui, Kiroro, and even in central Sapporo like Teine, you dont hear nor see them. It's still definitely a Japanese crowd with a few gaijin mixed in.

Hakuba itself there are lots and you tend to see them at restaurants, but the terrain across the valley is quite vast, and many resorts you need wheels to access (at least access them easier) so you dont see as many on lifts or skiing. Do a little hiking and you can be totally alone.

The Hakuba and Niseko locals can add much better info than mine since I only get away on breaks/weekends.
    パウダーバカ!!

I'll be in Hokkaido in Jan. Aussies usually stick to the bars and the most crowded boot packs. 5 minutes to the left and you're on the moon. Plenty of pow to go around in Hokkaido. Hirafu is the eye of the aussie storm, so if you want to get away from that, stay elsewhere.

I'll be in Hokkaido from 1/28 - 2/5 with Black Diamond Tours and Hakuba from 2/5 - 2/15. I'm looking for ski partners in Hakuba. I'll have touring and avy gear and a car. PM sent to pales.

Did Hakuba last January. Only got in 2 days where I wasn't with the gf and could ski for real. Both of those were super fun with a bit of poking around. Look for gaijin with avy gear and most are more than happy to let you join their crew.

Hello Sparwood Dave,
    Here is your answer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Aaew1NSzc
    But the truth is that it's good all season and if I had to pick my favorite time it would be March (because of the easy touring options but the weather is more chancy at that time). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Pm1ydMfQo
    This place actually lives up to the hype. Not nearly as steep as some of the "runs" at Fernie but much more fun in my opinion. Last time I went to Fernie on a 15cm weekday I don't even think I made one turn the first two runs from just trying to get ahead of the hoards of Calgarians taking a "sickday" off work. At $60 a ticket, no thanks. We are spoiled rotten here, you can be too.