Monitoring Fracking seems like a good idea.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gree...anel-says.html

Hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking," in shale formations should be monitored closely for its environmental effects, a federally appointed panel recommended Thursday.

The assessment was the Obama administration's first major pronouncement on the coast-to-coast shale gas boom that has raised concerns about the risks to underground water supplies from the chemicals injected into subterranean rock to unlock natural gas.
    I can't say I know enough about this to say, but this appears like a logical step to what seems to be a controversial subject. Of course the NG companies say it is perfectly safe, while the enviro Nazis think it is the end of civilization as we know it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Royal dutch shell has tenure but were thrown out of northwest BC by the Thaltan nation which basicly amounts to some old 1st nations ladies on a picket line facing down the RCMP begging to be thrown in jail and Shell havent been back since

Outrider energy from Calgary which was a front for another company tried to come into the Bulkley valley but were met head on by the local enviro's & hippies who then got together with the Thaltan and also ran them out for now ... but we are ever vigilant

there are NO land claims to speak of in BC and everywhere they wana fuck up belongs to the 1stnations

they wana build a pipeline from the alberta oilsands to the ocean which crosses 24 1st nations lands, dealing with 1st nations is like herding cats at the best of time ... so good luck eh shell ??

This has been huge in PA for a few years now. The state pretty much refuses to regulate or tax it and people are making tons of bank. In a few years when the water problems start, they'll regulate it to death, but by then the politicians will have made their money in pay-offs and need to appease the environmentalists to get reelected.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

PA not taxing it is beyond me. Who the hell is getting paid off?

Hutash: Yes, it's a good first step. We need something to displace oil, and natural gas is a better alternative (not perfect but better). Monitoring is good. Industry self-regulation would be great if it worked, but it doesn't.

PA may or may not tax it (sales tax?)? I don't know. But when Chesapeake had a few, unh, boo boos, they got slapped with a fine worth a few mil.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/gree...anel-says.html

I can't say I know enough about this to say, but this appears like a logical step to what seems to be a controversial subject. Of course the NG companies say it is perfectly safe, while the enviro Nazis think it is the end of civilization as we know it.
    The truth will be somewhere in the middle. That said, business is amoral by nature and has a poor track record.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    The truth will be somewhere in the middle. That said, business is amoral by nature and has a poor track record.
    The supreme court said businesses are actually people.
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Quote Originally Posted by PaSucks View Post
    This has been huge in PA for a few years now. The state pretty much refuses to regulate or tax it and people are making tons of bank. In a few years when the water problems start, they'll regulate it to death, but by then the politicians will have made their money in pay-offs and need to appease the environmentalists to get reelected.
    I am not saying that it shouldn't be watched...but this attitude from people that are not fully educated on the issue is what causes so many of the problems...and don't worry, PA will have a tax on the production for sure...which is when it should be taxed. Has worked all over the west.

Anyhow...
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

There are seemingly way too many negative reports about exactly what is in the "proprietary" mix they pump in the ground. It will be far too late to clean anything up if there is an issue down the road, and from what I've read there very may well be.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I am not saying that it shouldn't be watched...but this attitude from people that are not fully educated on the issue is what causes so many of the problems...and don't worry, PA will have a tax on the production for sure...which is when it should be taxed. Has worked all over the west.

Anyhow...
    I haven't followed it THAT closely, but I hold a degree in Environmental studies and I know the negative impacts subsurface mineral extraction has. I'm not an uneducated idiot calling people tree huggers and trying to cash in, just pointing out what seems obvious to me. The politicians palms have been greased and that is why nobody is regulating it at the state level. As far as taxes, I don't know all the details. I imagine they are getting revenue somewhere, but not nearly what other states are doing, or so the news likes to report. This is inexcusable to me because this part of the world has made incredible progress cleaning up the local waterways since the coal mining industry has collapsed, and fracking threatens to set us back 20 years or more if laws don't change soon.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

The claim that what is in the fraking solution is a trade secret just makes no sense to me. They are each fighting for the right to tap a certain well once that competition is won they have the well to pump as much oil out of as they can. How is another company knowing what is in their fraking fluid going to hurt them?

The only thing that does make sense is that something very dangerous is being pumped into our ground water and they don't want anyone to know so they can go along their marry own way.

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    America!! What a country!!! We have the best Supreme Court money can buy.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Ahh, what could go wrong?

According to DBT and candy-licker, the 'invisible' hand would regulate safety for us!

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Generally it's just sand and water. The water probably starts out potable, but after passing through a fracking rig, I dunno... especially if it's an acid job... though I have seen them pump soap and foam down hole, that should clean it up good...
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

"Impulsive? No! I'm RE-pulsive!"

Another way for bottling companies to make more money.

Ground water will be contaminated, fact. Hopefully they will regulate the amount or some passive bullshit move to appease our addiction to cheap energy.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I started a thread in polyass about fracking and Gasland the movie.
    Check it, yo.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ve-you-seen-it

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    I started a thread in polyass about fracking and Gasland the movie.
    Check it, yo.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ve-you-seen-it
    There is actually intelligent discussion there.

Fracking solutions can be trade secrets because there is alot of other shit going on than just sand and water. All of these shale plays have been tried before multiple times. The problem was they didn't have the kind of propants and the fracking chemicals we do now, that and well they couldn't do 4,000 laterals.

There is a hell of lot more than just PA politicians on the take, without energy none of this other shit works at all.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Quote Originally Posted by bl2000 View Post
    really really bad people
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy