Thread: TR: Shasta 7/6/11 Peak to Highway in July

TR: Shasta 7/6/11 Peak to Highway in July

Late, but I figure since the snow is melting quick from the epic season and a few purdy pics might be appreciated...
    and I saw the Shasta report from August and was looking at the difference in coverage in 30 days.

Friend and I did Shasta two days after skiing Tioga pass area on the 4th. Couldn't believe all the snow, Shasta epic year hype notwithstanding.
    Sick skiing with weird, fun, spooky wet slides and cartoon grower rollerball sloughs, deep slurpee, and corn galore.

4:00am

5:00am

The Heart and Red Banks from Helen Lake

The Heart 2K crampon crust posthole

9:00am The Thumb

12:00 pm Misery Hill

The Way Back

Almost

The Last Leg

Lassen

Hood? 320 North.

Castle Crags S.P. and Trinity Alps

Fields of Corn above Helen Lake

11.6 miles and 7K feet of ice crust, cornfields, slush, big gulp slurpee, suncup, wetslide, rollerball grower sloughs, and dirtyforestsnow all the way to Everett Highway in July.
    Set waves, powder days

Very nice. One thing I remember from my day up there was truly underestimating the sense of scale.

^^^It just keeps going. Big enough for sure. Anything more and its a two day deal. I imagine your hike was more strenous with all the talus and scree.
    Set waves, powder days

I covered 2.3 miles and about 1600 vert in the 1st hour, then was on snow within 30 minutes so it wasn't too bad as far as being strenuous. That was a pretty fast pace for this old man.