edit my september show

I have a show in September, at a bar.

I don't frequent this bar but I don't see it as a place that would necessarily sell a lot of photos. My friend, an artist that tends bar and manages the place asked me if I would put some stuff up as they are beginning to show art and become part of the wine/art walk.

In light of that, I figured I wouldn't do a lot of mainstream, pretty landscapes, but something with more personality. Some shots I plan to have gallery wraps of, some standard, matted and framed 11x14's, 8x10's, and a 12x18 or so thrown in for some varied shapes.

Some I thought would be just little 5x7's in those floating frames. I still haven't decided what everything could/would be, but, here's what I put together for this collection.

thoughts?

If your goal is to sell some pictures, what are the people who attend these events like? Bikers and skiers? Or city people who might like a nice landscape?

Maybe go walk around one of the art walk's and try to get a feel for the people attending and the other artists there. Differniate yourself, but know your target market.

If your goal isn't to sell photos, get the ones you like printed and, assuming they don't, you can hang them in your house.

which one of these is not like the other

if you're trying to sell photos, you're target audience likely doesn't drink pbr.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I was thinking that too.

thanks Ed-

I have a number of shows that are usually pretty successful with over half of the stuff selling. Because of that and the nature of this space, I wasn't too worried about selling anything there and thought of it as an opportunity to display a wider variety. I have other shows coming up that will be better for selling pretty landscapes.

powdork (and Ed)-

that's the feedback I was going for. I have no intention of displaying all 19 shots, I am looking to cull back the number, but only by a few...

I agree with the beer shots quoted, I'd probably look to get rid of the Ruby Mtn bottle photo as this can be a bit of hipster/outdoorsy establishment and I think the PBR one will print better and provide a more varied look to the show/appeal to a few more people. The one of the dude drinking a beer will probably end up as a 5x7 in a floating frame near something bigger, I guess you could say to add context.

The ruby mtn beer is probably out, I'm also thinking the emerald bay/jakes ski shot.

my $.02:

The horizon looks off on #11 (just me?)
    #1 and #15(pbr shot) don't do it for me.
    #2, #3, #5 and #10 are my favorites.
    BTW, nice Canadian tuxedo in #6

thanks skiingislife for the feedback...

The horizon in the ski shot is on, I believe...

you know, #1 is hit or miss with me but it seems to catch a few people so I might go ahead and leave that one in...

the pbr one I also hear you on, but, I think it was well executed, it's a bar I'm showing it at, and I haven't been able to personally disregard that one. But, I think it is a love or meh if there ever was one...

I've added an option, I'll also post it to the pic of the day thread because, well, it was my pic of the day...

here's the lowrider bicycle options

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post

woh... I had no idea there were places you could still smoke inside...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

One other suggestion- try to envision how these will look when framed and hung up above the bar (or on the other walls) when people can only view them from "a distance." The number one thing that comes to mind when I look at some of these shots is that they're too busy to be printed small (8x10 or smaller)- the last two specifically. The images I like of yours better are the ones that are clean and simple, and would be easy to view when they're up on the wall in a dimly lit place.

Lots of great shots. Maybe you should talk to other shops that have participated in the event before. They might be able to tell you what size images and price point people are interested in.

I like the 2nd lowrider image. The third one looks a little too "Disney Cars" for me.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    This is a wild shot. How did you do this?

thanks for all the feedback. I was psyched when I found the dudes with the lowrider bikes.

This space is fairly approachable in regards to seeing the stuff up close. I hear ya on checking to see what works in those walks. Though, I have shows at similar places down the street and sold stuff at these walks before.

This place is just trying to hop on that bandwagon. I checked in with them last night for a beer after the lowrider shots and there was some smokin' hot chicks there, so I'm getting more psyched for this show. Also, apparently they have me on the schedule to hang stuff on September 27 for October, so I got a little more time to get something together.

Thanks again on all the feedback.

p.s. @Todds, that was exposed for a minute and I zoomed the lens during the while the shutter was open.

I would think about using gallery wraps or canvas as opposed to framed. Pricing is similar and my personal preference is always towards the clean nature of the just the image without the heavy border.

Thanks for the feeback cmor. I agree, but one thing for me to consider is the matted/framed options I have left over from other shows. Or at the least the mattes and frames I have around for new shots.

That actually makes the framing option a little cheaper for me. But I have some time I didn't think I had so we'll see what I can put together with another month.

I put forth this question and the question is,
    When i did your mother twice last nite did I get sloppy seconds ?????

Gallery Wraps

I like the gallery wraps too. Any recommendation on where to get some printed out?

I'm gonna try adorama. I have them print everything, including our wedding book. I like the job they do. The books are great, the metallic prints are nice.