Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How we got Bin Laden

This is the worst pain EVER!

Halfway through and have to go to a meeting... but can't stop reading!

I love the New Yorker.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Great article. thanks.

Nicely written and fairly gripping.

Good read for sure
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Works of fiction are often highly entertaining.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Your sources must be more reliable.

Back up your bullshit, give us the real story in 9 pages or less.

Agreed, think about it. How would this turd have had access to all the first hand information to write the story? You think anyone from the Seal team talked to him....NO. Think anyone from the office of the Secretary of Defense talked to him....No. Think anyone from Obumma's office told him anything......NO (well maybe if they thought they could get some press time out of it to deflect the past 3 years of fuckups).

All speculation based on other speculation.

But it is a good read.

Ken
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

You guys really think all that shit is true? You trust the media far too much. I'm not talking about conspiracy theories, I'm just talking embellishment and bullshit.

Remember how CNN reported they were all wearing helmet cams? That was sure true right? Also, from what I have heard, the 4.7mm round that the mp7 fires has been very unpopular with the SOC.

Just a gut feeling, but this just seems like journalistic bullshit to me. How do they know all this stuff? I don't remember reading anything about the White House releasing a press release that had all these details, what did they do interview Obama, or the snake eaters themselves? I skimmed parts of the article, so I could have missed it, but I don't think there was anything in there explaining how the reporter knew any of this.

The amount of truth in this article is up for debate but I feel fairly confident in saying that a lot of it is probably bullshit.

It is a good read though.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Agreed, think about it. How would this turd have had access to all the first hand information to write the story? You think anyone from the Seal team talked to him....NO. Think anyone from the office of the Secretary of Defense talked to him....No. Think anyone from Obumma's office told him anything......NO (well maybe if they thought they could get some press time out of it to deflect the past 3 years of fuckups).

All speculation based on other speculation.

But it is a good read.

Ken
    You guys really think all that shit is true? You trust the media far too much. I'm not talking about conspiracy theories, I'm just talking embellishment and bullshit.

Remember how CNN reported they were all wearing helmet cams? That was sure true right? Also, from what I have heard, the 4.7mm round that the mp7 fires has been very unpopular with the SOC.

Just a gut feeling, but this just seems like journalistic bullshit to me. How do they know all this stuff? I don't remember reading anything about the White House releasing a press release that had all these details, what did they do interview Obama, or the snake eaters themselves? I skimmed parts of the article, so I could have missed it, but I don't think there was anything in there explaining how the reporter knew any of this.

The amount of truth in this article is up for debate but I feel fairly confident in saying that a lot of it is probably bullshit.

It is a good read though.
    <irony>You guys are both saying "this has to be BS because there is no way this guy had links to these sources", without having a source to back up your own statements. </irony>
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I have a hard time believing that they all started to chamber rounds at 4 minutes out. I think they would go hot and press check before loading the helicopter.

Very good read.

Sounds like he got it from the SEALs?

this quote from the article,

"The SEALs were not wearing helmet cams, contrary to a widely cited report by CBS. None of them had any previous knowledge of the house’s floor plan, and they were further jostled by the awareness that they were possibly minutes away from ending the costliest manhunt in American history; as a result, some of their recollections—on which this account is based—may be imprecise and, thus, subject to dispute."
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I have a hard time believing that they all started to chamber rounds at 4 minutes out. I think they would go hot and press check before loading the helicopter.

There's a lot of things that are quite hard to believe, that being said there's some sweet reelection fluff in it. May as well have the MSM smooth the other new stories over with additional brownie points
    does anyone still enjoy riding inbounds?

That was a good read.

Well, that shit makes me want to join the fuck up, like this instant. Talk about a good read. Wish someone would release a visual mock up of each step of it, so I could better process the info, but damn, shit was good.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

A little google-foo came up with this. Supporting my position of second hand bullshit.

Schmidle says he wasn't able to interview any of the 23 SEALs involved in the mission. Instead, he said, he relied on the accounts of others who had debriefed the men.

But a casual reader of the article wouldn't know that; neither the article nor an editor's note describes the sourcing for parts of the story. Schmidle, in fact, piles up so many details about some of the men, such as their thoughts at various times, that the article leaves a strong impression that he spoke with them directly.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/freelanc...#ixzz1TyyAMH9r
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Looks like Leroy is wrong, the reporters dad is Cyber command.

"Among the satisfied customers: Schmidle's father, the Marine Corps Lieutenant-General Robert Schmidle, the deputy commander of the US Cyber Command."
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Well, that shit makes me want to join the fuck up, like this instant. Talk about a good read. Wish someone would release a visual mock up of each step of it, so I could better process the info, but damn, shit was good.
    Leroy's point was just made. I trust military accounts of what happens about ZERO fucking percent. Why? Jessica Lynch and Pat Tillman come to mind. Pentagon and CIA propaganda is clearly created to make people support their wars and join the military.

Good read, thanks

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Looks like Leroy is wrong, the reporters dad is Cyber command.

"Among the satisfied customers: Schmidle's father, the Marine Corps Lieutenant-General Robert Schmidle, the deputy commander of the US Cyber Command."
    Meaning he likes the story his kid wrote. Nothing about it being based on fact or being an accurate portrayal of what actually transpired.

Tom Clancy liked it on Facebook, so it must be true.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Tom Clancy liked it on Facebook, so it must be true.
    ^^^^^^^ Will leave a mark.

I am a pessimist by trade, but the best we have for the bullshit column is two anecdotes, that apply to military fuck-ups not "successes," and a claim that there are no sources, backed up by no sources.