Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boogie Boarding

^Cause everyone knows that if you read it on the internetz then it must be true

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Not well but I've been know to get out a few times a year around here.
    Well, that's cool.

As far as the closeouts, you know how someone will get to talking with their energy and rhythm and you don't want to interrupt the flow of it? There's a language that I don't understand yet, but I just want to listen quietly, you know? People are saying the things they choose to say and I would rather that than play 20 questions like a total freaking moran. I've got you guys for that.

He's not an SO, I'm dating around right now and prolly for a long time. I like it. And he's gone camping. And I've got poison oak.

But I will take any coaching he wants to give, he has offered stupid shit like pushing my board. I would rather use a boogie board though and catch my own waves. But I'm coachable, got over my ego at ski school. Gaw they're not shy to tell you what's wrong with your skiing. I take it as a gift.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Just wanted to throw this out there.Maybe consider buying a used fish,short board.Stay inside and get lots of practice catching waves,timing,etc.You will improve faster this way.Learn to stick the tail into the swell for a easy pop/3stroke takeoff.Not that hard to do on a fish surfing inside.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Just wanted to throw this out there.Maybe consider buying a used fish,short board.Stay inside and get lots of practice catching waves,timing,etc.You will improve faster this way.Learn to stick the tail into the swell for a easy pop/3stroke takeoff.Not that hard to do on a fish surfing inside.
    Not going to get lots of practice inside in Santa Cruz... Cept dodging surfers

If it's in my power to learn, it would solve a lot of problems because I'm never gonna be great at muscling my way around. I wonder if there's any youtubes I could watch over and over that really show it. Gotta get it in my mind at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Not going to get lots of practice inside in Santa Cruz... Cept dodging surfers
    Not talking about the lighthouse! It's pretty chill at pleasure point last I saw, at least with the tiny swell. The shortboarders were all crowded on this little break further out that's so narrow, maybe 100 feet wide. That wave is over really fast, but looks like it has the speed/energy they would like.

Everyone else, with about 50% noobs at least as bad as me, were on the inside break that's half as high (like tiny) but clean that is actually really long lasting but it takes you pretty far down and then you're walking back. I want to get on that one on a weekday. I saw it on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago and it was a little crowded but looked pretty fun.

And this afternoon I got partways in the water at Marina for a minute and it is really warming up finally. Felt so good on my poor itchy legs.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Ya, not sure what Santa Cruz is like for inside surf. My surf areas have both outside breaks and reformed inside swells.I average 4 times the wave count compared to my friends sitting outside.Not to mention there is no competition inside.Good luck Shera,you will really enjoy the moments in time that you are riding.Its a quick high but the memory's last a life time.

I have had a good time learning to surf. I was a pretty good skier. I'm in the worst shape of my life. I paddled around on a 7'6" for a while at the very beginning...nearly gave up, figured I just wasn't going to be able to do it, then got on a longboard and it was so much easier to catch and ride waves. From that point forward it was just time in the water, watching youtube, and asking the right questions to people who know.

It seemed like the biggest thing for me was learning where and when to be....where and when to find waves, where and when to be when I'm in the water to catch waves, where and when to be when I'm up on a wave to get a good ride.

If you get a board and start surfing, you'll probably naturally work yourself through the process. Your natural skiers ambition to figure it out will drive the process.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have fun, playing in the ocean every morning. Living with aloha spirit and "too much, not good. plenty, all right" are really important ideas to me also.
    Henry David Thoreau

Nothing wrong with being a speed bump (aka sponge). I actually think it is a great way to get used to the surf zone. No reason to sit on the inside, yada yada yada. Close outs are okay, but better to find a wave that peels just a little bit.

Manresa is not a bad idea. Once the NW start showing more, the surf will improve there. Or try the beaches north of there. If the winds are light, try Waddell area or Gazos. The point is, paddle out some where that is a little less crowed than the point sometimes. You will get way more waves, and really improve your wave sense. And beach break offers a bit more juice, which will be good for the boogey board.

The point can be great, but there can a wait inbetween sets and lots of competition for the wave. The short board peak you observed was 1st Peak. 2nd Peak and 30th Ave are much less competitive, but the Hook (41st) can be crowded. If you are paddling out anywhere on the Point, you may want a surf board. It will be hard to catch waves on the sponge.

Best advice is to get in the water as often as possible. The water between the Hook and New Brighton can actually warm up pretty well during the summer. And salt water is perhaps the best thing for Poison Oak. So get yourself out in the surf zone and play around a bit. Paddle a long board or grab a sponge. Every moment around waves will teach you a bit more.

As for those who paddle once or twice and allow the board to drop out underneath them... Think of the slope of the wave and gravity. I can remember when my wife finally realized she should not fight gravity while skiing, but allow it to help her ski better. Think of the wave shape. When it is steep, you will gain speed and drop down easily. A steep enough wave, and your board will drop away from you fast enough for you to just extend your legs and stand up. If it drops too fast, a surfer will free fall. So it is really all about timing. And it is actually pretty easy to do at 1st Peak. It is a fairly mellow and predictable wave. OTOH, if the wave face is flat, you will need to stand up mostly because the board will not drop away fast enough.

If you want to borrow a 7'6" fun board, give me a PM. Just get out there and practice, practice, practice.

Solid gold. Advres, this is why we talk to maggots. Ottime, thank you for the great info, hooking a sister up!

I'll check out Manresa. I ride my bike to the market at Moss Landing pretty often.

I also really like riding Nisene Marks, so warm water at New Brighton sounds awesome. Where is the Hook?

North of SC is less likely.

As far as gear, we'll see. Thank you for the offer. The guy from Pleasure Point is back from camping but texted me at the last minute for Saturday night concert and I had to say no. Looked a little too much like a hookup situation. Hopefully he'll call me for a proper date. Boys.

I'm very happy to check out some surf on my own and without any gear. Would enjoy just swimming in the surf. Fack this poison oak bullshit. So brutal.

I've been watching videos. Really want to understand "wave hydraulics". Oh yeah, at splat's recommendation I watched Blue Crush again. I think I got it all figured out now!

Then went on to read the original story about local Maui girls. Pretty cool, really. http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfa...n_intview1.php

edit - ok, reading comprehension. The hook is at 41st. I'm going to explore all the way from 38th (was told it would be good for me) to New Brighton. Test the waters.
    Last edited by SheRa; 08-09-2011 at 07:13 AM.
    Henry David Thoreau

body surfing is fun as hell, you will definitely learn a lot of the mechanics of a wave. You'll learn how to duck dive waves, how to take off on the peak, currents, increased arm strength and have fun at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ncognico View Post
    Boogie boarding is for children, rollerbladers, and the Wedge.

Just get out on a real board of somekind. Be patient, lower your expectations of progression, and don't worry about looking like a gaper - you are one for now so enjoy. Just try not to get in anybody's way and don't get in over your head. You'll find out soon enough what that is. Have fun and be safe.
    Why? And there are plenty of places out side of SoCal that are a bit more ideal for a sponge.

I thought the point was to have fun. If someone is enjoying a sponge, does that make them a tool? Or a rollerblader? Seriuosly. And it is a great tool to just get out on the water on for a newb.

Not that this is arguing your point (because they are children), but I had a lot of fun getting my three nephews out in the waves for their first time on boogies. Although, I'll admit, I was pretty stoked when I was pushing the 7 year old into whitewater on a 5'8" soft top and he popped up on his second wave. Still, the boogies were fun every time we went out.

Just getting in the surf zone is the most important thing in learning how to surf. The ins and outs of a board are much less significant than actually getting used to how a wave moves.

The advantage to playing around on a sponge for a weeks (as I see it) is sitting in some beach break and just getting ton of waves. Not worrying about standing up, let alone getting hit by your board in the washing machine. Sure, after a few times out, it is important to get on a board to learn (1) how to paddle, (2) how to stand, and actually surf.

Personally, I always prefer to surf on a board over being on my belly. But I have seen some guys killing it on boogies both in Hawaii and here on the Central Coast. Taking off deeper and on ledgier sections than any stand up surfer. And getting way more pitted.

Curious what you think about knee boarders. Or longboarders.

OH - and The Hook is on the point at the end of 41st Avenue. Decent little wave, but polluted with rippers and kooks alike. Usually way to crowded IMO.

Things are looking promising around here. I just wish the sun would come out. But I got a line on a wetsuit. And the pleasure point guy asked me for a real date on Friday night. He's got the boogie board and fins. He can get me a longboard too or something. We'll see. He's lived on pleasure point for 20 yrs, really understands it. Another guy I know surfs up and down the coast and he told me to go to 38th. I'm excited to check out that whole stretch to New Brighton.

Can you explain the wave characteristics that work better for a boogie board? Why wouldn't I have fun with one at Pleasure Point? On the inner break, I mean, with this leetle summer swell. Maybe this is too big a subject and I need to just get out there and learn it.
    Henry David Thoreau

You still have my 9'?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Yep^^ Fun board to cruise on.Thanks for the board btw.

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post

Can you explain the wave characteristics that work better for a boogie board? Why wouldn't I have fun with one at Pleasure Point? On the inner break, I mean, with this leetle summer swell. Maybe this is too big a subject and I need to just get out there and learn it.
    You might have fun. But the wave is overall kind of weak, and sponges take a fair amount of juice to get going. They are soft, bend, and displace a lot of water. OTOH, surfboards are generally bigger (more floatation) and fiberglass (don't bend, glide much better, aqua-dynamic).

If you are going to boogie, I suggest beach break or shore break. If you do not want to travel, go to 26th Ave beach to play around. You will be ble to catch a bunch of wave and ride right up onto the beach.

ncohnico is probably right. A lot to be learned on a proper board. It is also good to spend a little time on a longboard. Just paddle out on a small day (like today) and watch the line up. Watch the wave. Watch the surfers up close. It is pretty easy to stay out of the way on the point. Also, the paddling will work your paddling muscles. I think one of the toughest parts of surfing is getting those muscles in shape. Once you are tired, you are done. You can paddle out at 38th, and paddle up to 2nd and 1st peak to watch what is going on. Paddle back to 38th and try to get a wave or two.

I also suggest the beach break, just because fewer people are around and you do not need to wait (or hope) for a wave, or be worried about getting in the way/ hitting others. Maybe this is why the 'pleasure point guy' suggests playing around in close outs. No one will. And ask him if he ever gets of the point to surf some real waves.

dog beach always seemed like a nice spot for a sponge (not a beginner, though)... or no board at all.

for a beginner not too used to the ocean/waves/etc., you can learn a lot from shorebreak, but you can get schooled.

i suggest putting your body in barrels. it's addictive and you can learn a lot about wave hydraulics.

I live in Maui so am pretty familiar with Launiopoko. A perfect place to learn. In summer time, it catches south swells. If it's big, you can just hang on inside while learning. If not much swell, you can go outside and wait for sets. when you fall, try to land flat as there is quite a bit of reef. Regarding boogie boarding here, it's not just to catch the white water after the wave breaks. Unless you're a tourist with a soft mushy boogie board. With a more expensive boogie board and fins, you can catch waves. I'm not a surfer or much of a boogie boarder ( windsurfed for about 25 years tho), but both of my sons did it for years.

That cat one is photoshopped!!

Another good day of surf in these parts SheRa. Get in the water! This is a perfect week, with small, fun surf.

Hugh Conway Guest

the good kind of Brasilian boogie boarder

she'd still back paddle you.

You guys are right, thanks for the reality check. If a cat can do it I can too, not even get my hair wet!

I've been distracted with these car shows coming up next week. I'm working both the one in Carmel and the one on Pebble Beach. At least got to play some disc golf on the way back from Carmel.
    Henry David Thoreau

Throw the boogie in the trunk and go out at Carmel when your there. Picks up a good amount of NW wind swell, but essentially no S swell. It is punchy, and when it peaks up, can be super fun mini tubes.

Or out around the front of PG, near Asilomar. Picks up both NW and some SW. Or stop at Marina or Moss if there is some mid period NW in the water, and no wind. Plenty of spots to surf between SC and Carmel. And if you want some real grindy heavy beach pound, head south just about 20 minutes on 1 to GSP.

She-Ra, just go do it. I moved to a pretty gnarly little break in Ventura County about 3 weeks ago that is known for some heavy surf (and heavy localism). It's summertime so it's super flat and mellow and everyone I've met has been nothing but stoked for me to get out and kook around and learn. In the winter when it gets big I'll just drive north to the more longboardy breaks.

I grew up skiing in AK and CO and this is my first time living on the water so I had to find something to replace the stoke from the snow. Surfing has been great but as everyone else said be prepared to paddle for hours to get a few seconds of wave riding. No shit. Slowly though you'll find yourself working 'smarter' not harder and riding more waves. (I paddled for probably 20 this morning and actually rode in a whopping 3).

Bottom line is as some old gaper once said, "If you don't do it today, you'll be one day older when you do!"

Oh, and you should bodyboard, and body surf, and stand-up paddle, and sail, and fish and dive and all that shit. But surf too.