Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any Recs on All Mountain Bike Shoes?

Well, anyone got anything they can recommend? I'm looking for something that can hold a cleat.

I tried ordering a pair of the 661 Filter Shoe and I wasn't super thrilled with them. If anyone wants to give them a shot, they're size 11 and I would be willing to ship for $60. Haven't returned them yet...

If anyone has any other solid contenders, I'd be interested in checking them out.

I've been on a pair of Specialized Tahoe's for 4 years now. Not the stiffest shoe out there, but I use them with Mallets anyway, so I never notice. Super comfy, hikes well, and lasts long. I'll be buying another pair when these ones finally die.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

I am in the market as well. What didn't you like about the 661? Fit or more?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Oh and stay away from the Sette Enduro shoes. I bought a pair of those thinking I'd save some cash before I got the Tahoes. They were terrible, you could feel the cleat mounting bolts through the insole of the shoe, which after riding The Whole Enchilada (minus Burrow), my feet were in a lot of pain. Threw them away and bought the Tahoes right when I got home from that trip.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I am in the market as well. What didn't you like about the 661? Fit or more?
    They were uncomfortable for me. Pretty stiff shoe. I need something that I can ride with for a whole day and not hate my feet.

Just like ski boots, in my opinion you have to try a bunch on and see how they fit your foot. Some are for wide feet, some are for skinny feet- very few can pick a pair for someone else without knowing what your foot looks like. Lake has some mountain bike shoes that may what to try on and see how they fit- otherwise the usual suspects out there in cycling shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    They were uncomfortable for me. Pretty stiff shoe. I need something that I can ride with for a whole day and not hate my feet.
    I would have guessed you wanted something a bit stiffer....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I would have guessed you wanted something a bit stiffer....
    Definitely true. I'm looking for something a bit tougher than your typical XC shoe. The Filter Shoe just wasn't my cup of tea I guess. I thought they were kind of fugly too

I'm also just interested in hearing what other gear whores are using to protect their tarsals. So...

Pearl Izumi X-Alp Seek works for me. not the lightest out there but pretty stiff for having laces and very good for hiking and walking around in too. Sometimes i wear them when i'm not biking too. I got the WRX version to protect against the rainy, muddy spring season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    Oh and stay away from the Sette Enduro shoes. I bought a pair of those thinking I'd save some cash before I got the Tahoes. They were terrible, you could feel the cleat mounting bolts through the insole of the shoe, which after riding The Whole Enchilada (minus Burrow), my feet were in a lot of pain. Threw them away and bought the Tahoes right when I got home from that trip.
    Ditto. Tahoes are great shoes. I wear them on both my MTB and roadie and they're super-comfy, but just stiff enough you don't feel the pedaling platform is "squishy". Plus you can walk on them with little issue.

anyone use SHIMANO SH-MT42NV they seem similar to the tahoes. Almost picked up a pair last week, but went with some 5.10 karvers cause i've been riding more freeride type trails lately. It would be nice to have a pair of clipless shoes again. Last pair lasted one ride since I left them in a faraway lot

"A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Pretty happy with my Shimano MP66s, which are the predecessor to the AM45. They're also great for DH riding.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Just like ski boots, in my opinion you have to try a bunch on and see how they fit your foot. Some are for wide feet, some are for skinny feet- very few can pick a pair for someone else without knowing what your foot looks like. Lake has some mountain bike shoes that may what to try on and see how they fit- otherwise the usual suspects out there in cycling shoes.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^this you gotta try a bunch on

I find specialized tend to fit my foot which is a low volume narrow heel but wide forefoot ...but that is me

I found Shimano were wide enough in the toe box but had too much volume in the ankle ...but thats for me

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Pretty happy with my Shimano MP66s, which are the predecessor to the AM45. They're also great for DH riding.
    these plus XC shoes (for me, the shimano m-350) and i am a happy camper.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Damn, those AM45's look like some fancy Air Jordans.

I had the PI-X-alps and they were OK but pretty heavy and they soaked up water like a sponge. I'm actually back to my good old Sidi's. Definitely more of a XC shoe though.

I'd be interested to know what you end up with because I'm in the market as well.

I like the DXs (I think these are the MP66s) if I know I'm going to be walking around a lot and want to ride clipless. I also have an old pair of Sidi Dominators that are great but not so much for walking around, especially in rocks and scree.

Get flat pedals. Then you won't have to deal with all this BS

If Shimano fits, get the SH-MT53. I've worn all of its predecessors and they've been my favorite shoes by far. I wear them for everything from XC to DH.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

what's the difference between an xc, am and dh shoe?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I would defer to kidwoo on this. He is the expert on differentiating gear/bikes/tires in terms of All-Mountain vs XC vs Freeride vs Trail vs DH. Kidwoo you want to pipe in here?
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Yo quiero zapatos ir de paseo en bicicleta en todas las montanas.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I think the industry would definite it like this:

XC:

AM:

DH:

There's certainly a lot of variation in between, hence why I started the thread. I was curious what people were using for that middle category

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    There's a lot of overlap and I'm sure some will bristle at the terminology, but here's my personal set of distinctions.

XC- should be light and snug fit; meant to be on the pedals at almost all times. My XC shoes have a hard plastic sole that's great for pedaling (stiff), but not so great for trying to cross boulder-strewn streams, etc.

AM- weight is less a concern; should be comfortable on the pedals but also when needed for hike-a-bike sections of trail. Whether I use my "XC" or "AM/DH" shoes generally depends on how long I'm going to ride (where weight is more of a concern) and whether I'm going to be hike-a-biking it much (in which the comfort of shoes off the bike will matter).

DH- weight even less a concern; should be comfortable for hike-a-bike/pushing the bike up steep trails. Even with clipless, I like a nice wide, rubber sole so that I can feel comfortable on the clipless pedals even when I'm not clipped in (also known as pussy/out-of-control mode). I also like hightops, so that I have a little more ankle protection when I beater.

My AM and DH shoes are the same.

Ive always stuck with Shimano shoes for riding, they are a really good value!