Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Is the BBG the same as the Lopes BBG?

yup. lopes designed the BBG
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I'm curious... Has anyone tried running one of these out east? Looks like a great dry condition, western riding tire. I'm curious how one would do in the wet roots and rocks. Thoughts?

if you are looking for a shitty weather tire, or if you ride where it isn't hardpack all the time, you should really give the CG SC a look. I know you are asking about the BBG, but it just isn't what you want for leaves and roots. I've got some rides in on the panaracers now, and they are what you want. Tremendous grip everywhere, not bad rolling resistance, and they didn't squirm on the "hardpack" here. just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3centshort View Post
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

^^^ nice ^^^

lev, i totally agree with 300hp. that CG SC tire shreds.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Thanks for the recs, fellas. M, I'm checking out your review right now. Nice write up dude

Just picked up a 2.1 BBG UST/DTC and a 2.1 Happy Medium UST/DTC.

Nice thick sidewalls. No scale here at the office, but I suspect these are about 800g.

The sidewalls feel beefier than the 2.4 HighRoller II EXo that I shredded in Peru. I put two gashes in the sidewalls of it that needed patches to get it to hold air.

I'll let things continue to dry out here in North Van before giving them a go. Currently running a 2.5 Minnion EXO 3c on the front and 2.25 Racing Ralph Snack Skin with the Pacestar compound on the rear. I hope the BBG/Happy Medium combo are faster rolling.

Might need to get a second BBG as the Happy Medium might not have enough bite on roots for a rear tire.

i have been on the 2.35 happy medium for the past week or two. it is an absolutely awesome REAR tire in the dry/hardpack/dust. one of the best i have ridden actually. it brakes as well or better than most trail tires IMO (ralph, cross mark, etc), and pedals retarded well.

a little sketchy in deep kitty litter though.

not super pleased with the casing of the happy medium 2.35 however.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

The UST casing feels really good. Nice and burly.

I would have preferred the 2.35 width for general trail riding, but decided to give up some size to get the thicker casing. Far too many flats for me with the regular Kenda single ply. I don't know why Kenda can't get on the bandwagon and start doing something between their single ply and 2ply in a "tubeless ready" casing.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Just picked up a 2.1 BBG UST/DTC and a 2.1 Happy Medium UST/DTC.

Nice thick sidewalls. No scale here at the office, but I suspect these are about 800g.

The sidewalls feel beefier than the 2.4 HighRoller II EXo that I shredded in Peru. I put two gashes in the sidewalls of it that needed patches to get it to hold air.

I'll let things continue to dry out here in North Van before giving them a go. Currently running a 2.5 Minnion EXO 3c on the front and 2.25 Racing Ralph Snack Skin with the Pacestar compound on the rear. I hope the BBG/Happy Medium combo are faster rolling.

Might need to get a second BBG as the Happy Medium might not have enough bite on roots for a rear tire.
    Where did you end up riding in Peru, Shirk?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Where did you end up riding in Peru, Shirk?
    We did a trip with Sacred Ride. http://www.sacredrides.com/rides/peru/incaadventure

What trails? Got pics? Good outfit, from what I hear. Cannot WAIT to get back...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    What trails? Got pics?
    Might pull together a TR sometime soon, need to get a long list of other stuff done before doing a TR.

From Lima:
    Pachacamac
    Olleros
    Marcahuasi Stone Forest

From Cusco/Ollantaytambo
    Saphii DH
    Chinchero
    Maras
    Megavalanche dh course
    Lares Inca trail

So is kenda actually making a REAL ust version of either the happy medium or the BBG?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Finstah Guest
    Yup, in stock at BTI. 2.1 width only, but would still make a sick xc / trail tire. They have both BBG's and El Mocos. I didn't notice Happy Mediums.

Holy shit, IT'S ALIVE!!

Thanks yo!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Two questions:

First, have you guys ridden El mocos and BBG's? How to the two compare....is the el moco kosher for some mixed conditions?

Second, is the 2.1 UST sized such that you could run a 2.35 maxxis in the backs and a 2.1 UST kenda in the front and not be whack?

many thanks
    H
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

Tossed the tires on my not very accurate non digital scale here at home.

2.1 BBG UST/DTC 820g
    2.1 Happy Medium UST/DTC 800g

I'll toss them on my WTB Laser Disc Trail rims and see put the calipers on them for width later.

Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    Two questions:

First, have you guys ridden El mocos and BBG's? How to the two compare....is the el moco kosher for some mixed conditions?
    I've ridden both a bunch. The moco is a really really good tread design. The problem is that the center knobs are so small, there's no point in making them exist in anything but a 60d or harder compound. So the DH versions suck dick because those things squirm all over the place....even to the point of messing up the way they corner. A DTC version is the only thing I would consider. The side knobs on those things are pretty legit.

But if you ride anywhere dry, and lean your bike to turn instead of spinning the steering wheel, the BBG is the shit. Just ride it like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    Second, is the 2.1 UST sized such that you could run a 2.35 maxxis in the backs and a 2.1 UST kenda in the front and not be whack?
    That's a really really good question. Let me know when you find the answer

BAH!

Want highroller 60d rear with 2.1 UST el moco in front! WANT

wookid, let us know when yours arrive (I know you already ordered them)

Ok, gotta ask...what's the reasoning behind going UST tires if you have to lose volume to do so? The weight increase for the UST isn't much, so at least there isn't a big hit there.

- Are the rocks that much sharper where you are?
    - UST usually allows you to run less pressure, but also, the narrower the tire, the more pressure required in my experience so is their a pressure advantage? With my 2.35 BBG's I run 28F/32R and much less I'd be pinging the rim a lot. Also, wouldn't lower pressure still probably not be much more tire width than the wider tire size?
    - Is it a rider weight issue? As in I'm just light at 155lbs
    - I'm sure some of you push the bike harder than I, but I'm not pussy footing around either
    - Do you just hate checking air pressure and the UST's definitely hold air better? I will say that after almost 2 years of comparison testing, I've decided I prefer cafe-latex over stans because it seems to hold air better between rides and the tires never seem to soften, so they last a bit longer. There are negatives, but that's for some other conversation.

I've been running 2.35 DTC BBG's F/R on 2 bikes (Mojo HD, & Giant Glory - for Moab and trail use) for about a year now and can't say I've had problems with flatting in Utah. I am always impressed with their grip EXCEPT on loose gravel over hardpack or rock. Although, I would never recommend them to timid riders because as Kidwoo pointed out, they don't perform well until they are thrown into corners. When I haven't ridden much they scare the crap out of me, when I'm on my game they rip.

I could see running a 2.35 UST rear for pure confidence of durability, and maybe 4psi less pressure, but taking the volume sacrifice is confusing me.
    Last edited by phatfreeheeler; 07-09-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Marshal let me "borrow" a 2.1 BBG. I put it on the front and went for a ride. I called him to say he wouldn't be getting it back. I had previously been running a telonix which is an amazing front tire. The bbg corners and feels very similar to the telonix but rolls much, much faster and doesn't really give up much that I can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler View Post
    We really don't have any rocks on the majority of our trails here. I just got back from a tahoe trip. I used to live there but I kind of forgot what it's like to ride trails with rocks on them. I don't think the non-ust single ply tires would last very long at all out there. Or CO from the bit of riding I've done there.

edit: I have had really good luck with the single ply non-ust telonix around here. I put a season plus on a front and it was still holding up really well. Have to wait and see how the bbg holds up.

Ok, gotta ask...what's the reasoning behind going UST tires if you have to lose volume to do so? The weight increase for the UST isn't much, so at least there isn't a big hit there.

- UST usually allows you to run less pressure, but also, the narrower the tire, the more pressure required in my experience so is their a pressure advantage? With my 2.35 BBG's I run 28F/32R and much less I'd be pinging the rim a lot. Also, wouldn't lower pressure still probably be not be much more tire width than the wider tire size?
    - Is it a rider weight issue? As in I'm just light at 155lbs
    - I'm sure some of you push the bike harder than I, but I'm not pussy footing around either
    - Do you just hate checking air pressure and the UST's definitely hold air better? I will say that after almost 2 years of comparison testing, I've decided I prefer cafe-latex over stans because it seems to hold air better between rides and the tires never seem to soften, so they last a bit longer. There are negatives, but that's for some other conversation.

I've been running 2.35 DTC BBG's F/R on 2 bikes (Mojo HD, & Giant Glory - for Moab and trail use) for about a year now and can't say I've had problems with flatting in Utah. I am always impressed with their grip EXCEPT on loose gravel over hardpack or rock. Although, I would never recommend them to timid riders because as Kidwoo pointed out, they don't perform well until they are thrown into corners. When I haven't ridden much they scare the crap out of me, when I'm on my game they rip.

I could see running a 2.35 UST rear for pure confidence of durability, and maybe 4psi less pressure, but taking the volume sacrifice is confusing me.
    Well first of all, anyone who tells you the reason for running tubeless is because you can run less pressure........just punch them in the face for me.

They are obviously a retard who maxes out at about 10mph. The good thing about tubeless is that you can run the same or MORE pressure and get much more compliance out of the tire since you've only got the tire casing to deform, not the tire plus a tube. People who jump up and down about running less pressure in their tubeless setups have obviously never burped tires on a regular basis in corners. It's real frikking annoying.

That translates to smaller tires too. Even though they'll feel more firm, the casing will still be more compliant, and hence work more like a bigger tire with a tube.

Good treads (like the BBG) don't need to be huge to work. Good tread designs work on their own, regardless of size. Obviously a bigger volume tire will have a bigger spacing for the tread to do its work, but big balloonish tires also raise your bike up, add rolling resistance, and generally give you the efficiency of a hot turd when comes to pedaling. SO.......if you can combine a good tread design, with the idea of greater compliance and deformation offered by tubeless, with a tire that enables your bike to be lower and more stable..........why not?

As far as flatting goes....at least with me, I've torn up a shit ton of crappy pinner tires that bill themselves as 'UST'. I've probably had MORE flats with UST tires than with tubes. But most of that happened a few years ago now and I've learned the value of burly casings if I'm going to do a bike tubeless.

i constantly flat kenda 2.35 single ply rear tire on jacob's ladder and mill-d north fork unless i run 38psi (and 35 in the front). 205lbs

i just can't understand why there is no butyl sidewall reinforcement on those things like every other tire has at the bead. its the only weakness. best tread out there IMO for dry conditions.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com