Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gman is online now Mack Master William Large

Need to buy a cookware set for the new apt.

So much like my tv thread, I need advice on some cookware for my new apt. Looking to get a set of pots/pans and would like to keep it around 200 if possible. I figure at that price copper is out of my budget. Any particular brands I should be looking at? stainless steel seems to be the common material at the pricepoint I'm looking at. suggestions are appreciated.

Cuisinart SS with the encapsulated aluminum base. The 14 piece set can usually be had on sale for under $200. Lids could fit a little tighter but they are excellent at heat transfer.

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago. I bought a shitty set and have slowly replaced almost everything over the period. What I realized as a bachelor (if that is what you are) a good 10/12" cast iron skillet, a couple different size sauce pans with lids, a dutch oven and a crock pot is the ideal set-up for small money. I can't really speak of the sets by company but I think the sets have things you aren't going to utilize (in my experience).
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Throw down for some good All Clad and you'll never have to worry about a girlfriend for the rest of your life, except her stealing them. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Throw down for some good All Clad and you'll never have to worry about a girlfriend for the rest of your life, except her stealing them. Seriously.
    This is soooooooooooo 100000% true.

The only reason you'll lose an all clad pot is you break up and she takes some of them.

They cook amazingly, are worth their weight in gold and last forever.

Don't waste your money on anything else.

Get what you can afford. I don't necessariy agree with Adveres although he's right, you use the same pan most of the time and most sit in the cupboard. I've found that I use the other, mayber smaller, pans when my son is over. You'll use most of the pans in the set but you may wish you bought quality pans one by one since they are so nice you may have them all your life.

I've got some Tramontina SS clad pans, I also have some All Clad pans. The All Clad is slightly thicker and distributes heat maybe slightly better, but not 4x the cost better. I also much prefer the handles on the Tramontina.

I know Tramontina has a bunch of different lines, and some are junk. I got mine individually at TJ Maxx, so I have no idea what line they're from. I remember reading that WalMart carried a couple sets and one of them was pretty good. The cooking forums are usually a good source of specific info. If you go the set route, open the box and check out the pans before you buy.

Another option is to go to TJ Maxx and see what's on the shelves. It's not quite the diamond in the rough clusterfuck it used to be, but there are still deals to be had (All Clad and copper included). That lets you look at and feel the pot/pan to get an idea of quality, and it also allows you to get the specific items you need, rather than a set that will have stuff you may not use.

Your first step should be a cast iron skillet, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Makers beat me to it. All Clad rules. $$$$ but you will have them for life. I cant believe what my wife spent on kitchen ware but then again she is a trained amatuer chef and I reep all the benefits! Buy a full set in pieces over time and spread out the pain.

If you're trying to keep it around $200, check this:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina...r&ssm=0&sspt=1

I personally haven't used tramontina stuff, but I've seen it in the store and it definitely seems nice. That set plus a $10 non-stick 8" pan for eggs and you're all set.

If you do decide to go with all-clad, give this site a look:
    http://www.cookwarenmore.com/display...01005074735989

If you keep it simple, you could maybe get a couple things for $300.

Or head down to your closest restaurant supply store and buy whatever looks good. Most of the stuff those places sell will stand up to some serious abuse.

You probably need a lot of other shit too what I did was take the ghetto approach hit a few garage sales and a clearout store for way cheap stuff, IME the thing to do is to resist the urge to nest and wait for the deal

+1 on the Tramontina for good cost/quality. Stay away from kitchen aide.

Also, dont worry about a set. Buy a large nonstick wok-ish pan and small nonstick skillet. Large stainless skillet and large stockpot. 1 big and 1 medium saucepan, stainless. Round it off with a cast iron skillet.

Thats all you need, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    So much like my tv thread, I need advice on some cookware for my new apt. Looking to get a set of pots/pans and would like to keep it around 200 if possible. I figure at that price copper is out of my budget. Any particular brands I should be looking at? stainless steel seems to be the common material at the pricepoint I'm looking at. suggestions are appreciated.
    yea i have a large saute/sauce pan from this line and its pretty nice

Circulon for non-stick is cheap and works good.

You can get nice sets for about 150.

I like cooking with Circulon and have owned a shit load of Calphon over the years.
    Last edited by DasBlunt; 07-29-2011 at 09:50 PM.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Cuisinart SS with the encapsulated aluminum base.
    I second the recommendation on these. We've had a set of these at home for probably close to 15 years and they've held up great.

Quote Originally Posted by nufenstein
    Also, dont worry about a set. Buy a large nonstick wok-ish pan and small nonstick skillet. Large stainless skillet and large stockpot. 1 big and 1 medium saucepan, stainless. Round it off with a cast iron skillet.

Thats all you need, ever.
    Yeah, but the more pieces you have the longer you can go before you have to do the dishes! Also I'd add in a cast iron dutch oven. They can come in handy, too.

Another vote for All Clad.

I have a set of Calphalon Tri-Ply Copper purchased individually from http://www.cutleryandmore.com/ ... great set, great pans. This one:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/calpha...are-set-p14081

That's a retarded solid price for the set if you can afford that.

Recently got one of the new All Clad D5 pans, damn solid. Heavier than my copper set, very even heating, excellent pans. Not as quick releasing heat as the copper Tri-Ply's, but damn good nonetheless.

If you're really into cooking and want quality cookware, I'd suggest spending your budget on 2 pans - 1x 10-12" skillet, and 1x 2-4 quart Chef's pan. Those two pans will cover 90% of your needs in the beginning.

All Clad Original Stainless (on clearance right now):

1) http://www.cutleryandmore.com/all-cl...et-lid-p115114
    2) http://www.cutleryandmore.com/all-cl...te-pan-p110457 (Deep Sautee Pan instead of Chef's Pan, similar functions)

Damnit, I could waste all day staring at quality cookware.

Edit: gotta show off a little

Electric or gas?
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

gas stove

I have a shitload of all clad stuff and like it, but two of my all clad Teflon frying pans are peeling. Anyone else had this problem? Of course, I will be returning them, but seems out of sorts for all clad stuff.

All Clad FTW for everything except nonstick and dutch ovens/braisers. Not worth it spending big bucks on nonstick because no matter how nice it is, the teflon will eventually get scratched up and wear out. Get nice heavy teflon pans for around $25-30 each and they'll be fine for a couple of years (I like our Kitchenaid ones). For dutch oven or other covered cookers, go enameled cast iron like Le Creuset or Staub.

None of this shit is cheap (except the teflon pans), but you get what you pay for and you should have them for a lifetime. Buy them one at a time instead of getting a set, if necessary. And definitely check Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc. - I've seen All Clad and Le Creuset there many times.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

My 12" All Clad non-stick skillet is no longer non-stick. I've tried to clean it with their recommeded techniques, but no where near as good as it was when we got it for a wedding present 5+ years ago. I think that All Clad is way overpriced for what you really get. If you want some good cookware get some Demeyere stuff (very pricy), or IMO the old Grizwold/Wagner Cast Iron is still the best!

I already have a cast iron pan I bought months ago. I pretty much only use a skillet and a couple sauce pans for soup/similar items. May just get a couple items instead of a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
    My 12" All Clad non-stick skillet is no longer non-stick. I've tried to clean it with their recommeded techniques, but no where near as good as it was when we got it for a wedding present 5+ years ago. I think that All Clad is way overpriced for what you really get. If you want some good cookware get some Demeyere stuff (very pricy), or IMO the old Grizwold/Wagner Cast Iron is still the best!
    Don'y base your opinion of All Clad on the nonstick stuff. As I said above, it's the exception - all nonstick wears out, so don't pay a lot for it. (Though five years is a lot longer than you'll get out of most, so it's still better than average.) Stick to their stainless steel and you'll be happy.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

I have to vote for don't pay for a set unless you get a great deal.

All I have is one 12 inch cast iron skillet, one large pot with steamer basket, a cheapie extra aluminum frying pan, and a good quality medium saucepan. There are a couple cookie sheets and bunt pans that we've bought ad hoc for baking projects over the years. We have acquired a slow cooker and a dutch oven, but we haven't touched them since chili and soup season last winter.

I say this as a married man who likes cooking but isn't a crazy geek about it - just buy a few things. A set will have crap that you don't want or need. Just the 4 items I described will handle 95%+ of your cooking tasks. My cast iron skillet was probably 35 bucks, pot with steamer was 40, cheapie fryer was 15, and decent saucepan was 100ish (gift certificate). That puts you at 195. That'll cook anything pretty beautifully. Baking shit in the cast iron is awesome.

I picked up these when we recently moved. Loving them so far.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

We've got a Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel Cookware Set. It is great- if you don't go with copper, you want a set that is stainless but has aluminum that is on the bottom and goes up the sides for even heating.

Many people say that Cuisinart Multiclad Pro is as good or better than All Clad. It also pours much better FWIW. We bought this exact set last year for $300+. MSRP is ~$600 and it is on sale right now for ridiculously cheap $209.