Question School me on Malaysia

My girlfriend has a college roommate getting married in Kuala Lumpur in early October. We are looking to take a couple of weeks (or more) to make the trip, and are looking to get the scoop. All suggestions appreciated, must-see cultural sites and outdoor activities a plus. From what I have found on their tourism site, scuba looks pretty popular. Is there any surfing (besides the wavepool I saw on youTube? Definitely interested in good hikes, or any class II-III whitewater nearby. Is the amount of time justified, or would we be better off making a side journey for said activities (Indonesia, Japan?)

Any info? Zoolander quotes?
    Montani Semper Liberi

Hugh Conway Guest
    Great food in Kuala Lampur not the most characterfilled city imo. Lots of big vanity projects - Petronas Tours, F1 circuit, airport. Not much for surfing in Malaysia, climbing Kinabalu in Borneo is popular as are tours of the jungle. Malaysia is expensive than most of its neighbors so people often head elsewhere and KL is the hub for Air Asia so you can get cheap, often ridiculously cheap, flights pretty much anywhere in Asia now. Interesting places to visit with direct flights from Kuala Lampur Sri Lanka (surf, hike, culture, relax), Myanmar, Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia. Should be able to find roundtrip tickets <$200 all in to any of those, perhaps much less. Any of which would be awesome for a couple weeks or more.

Naked pics of the GF and former roomate are necessary for a full response.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Hugh's info is badass.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I haven't been for awhile, but DEET-based bug repellant wasn't sold in Malaysia last time I was there - make sure to bring some with you.

In Malaysia, I would definitely hit Borneo for hiking / rain forest wildlife viewing. Go to Malay restaurants and eat with your hands (harder to pick up than you would think). Classic dishes: roti canai, murtabak ayam/daging (like a savory crepe, with chicken or beef), ikan bakar (awesome roast fish dish).

It's a great idea to use KL as a hub to go elsewhere. If you have any interest in ruins, definitely consider Angkor Wat in Cambodia - 3 days would do there, but I could easily spend 5. Bagan in Myanmar is supposed to be great, but I haven't been - the morality of visiting Myanmar is an open question, but that also means the sites will be less crowded

Thailand is another obvious possibility. You can't really go wrong anywhere there, especially if you haven't been. I stayed at Ko Libong a few years back...very much off the beaten track, and nothing much to do but stare at the water. It was relaxing and great, but I would stay at Ko Muk or Ko Kradan if I went back - better facilities, and snorkeling off the beach.

If you're staying in Malaysia on the peninsula (I'd recommend this highly), hang out in KL for a couple of days and enjoy the incredible variety of food and shopping.

I had to take HC off my ignore list to read his reply, and it's worthwhile. The flights are indeed cheap, and if Malaysia isn't sufficiently tantalizing for you, a great option. No advance notice is needed--just walk into a travel agent shop (everywhere in KL) and buy tickets in cash. With a few day's notice you'll get a better price, though.

The Cameron Highlands is touristy and hyped and we almost skipped it because of this. It's actually really cool, and there are loads of great trails (real ones, not roads) throughout the area. You can do a long dayhike through the forest and really feel remote.

Penang is worth at least a week in itself. The food scene there is absolutely mind-blowing, with the Indian part of town being a real highlight. Of all the places my wife and I visited in 5+ months in SE Asia, Penang probably elicits the most wistful thoughts. We would go back there in a heartbeat just to eat.

Overall Malaysia is a very easy place to travel, the food is unbelievable, and the people are nice and helpful. It's the second most under-rated place in the region, IMO. (Indonesia is first, but is quite a hassle to visit for such a short time.)

Lucky you--enjoy!
    Last edited by climberevan; 07-30-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Excellent feedback; thanks mags!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Mugatu: "Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique. "

Don't play Ping Pong in Ding Dang. It can get ugly.