Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TR: A Summer in North Cascades National Park

Now that ski season is over with, I'm spending my summer in the remote mountain community of Stehekin, WA and I thought I'd share a few of my experiences with the mags here at TGR. Anyone who wants to come and visit is welcome to stay at my place. Here is the view from our front porch:

I live right next to the shore of fjord-like Lake Chelan. Here's an image taken from our front lawn about an hour after sunset one night:

Earlier in the season there were mudflats at the northern end of the lake about a mile from my house. The snowmelt was so late that grasses started growing on them, creating a real cool scene whenever the sun was setting.

Here are some seasonal employees hanging out on one of the docks in front of the landing.

We get some pretty amazing sunsets here too:

I'll post some hiking photos later tonight if anyone is interested.

Great photos. You do any rock climbing? I've been wanted to do the NE buttress of goode. I'm sure some of those glaciers still have plenty of turns to be had if you are into that sort of thing...

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Great photos. You do any rock climbing? I've been wanted to do the NE buttress of goode. I'm sure some of those glaciers still have plenty of turns to be had if you are into that sort of thing...
    I did some Class 3/4 scrambling this past weekend but I've never been rock climbing. Snow level is around 6000 feet right now so that leaves you plenty of space to make some ski descents. I didn't bring my skis with me so I'll have to wait until December to make some turns.

Pine marten spotted along the trail to McGregor Mountain.

Posing in front of Booker and Buckner mountains in North Cascades National Park.

Making my way down the couloir towards the summit of McGregor Mountain.

Ridiculous double rainbow spotted over Bridge Creek.

This was along the Devore Creek trail in the Glacier Peak Wilderness.

Kind of hard to go anywhere in the N. Cascades right now without hitting snow.

Nice pics.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Soup Nazi-
    If you want to tag some summits let me know

Mofro,
    Do you live at alpy? I moved up here last month and always try to meet some more neighbors...

Nice place to be.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Mr. Soup Nazi:

More, please.

i'll be up in chelan in two weeks with a boat and enough gas to get up there. we'll have to hook up for a beer.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Soup Nazi - That's such a sweet place. Are you working up there or is this "summer vacation?"
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I'm up on the lake nearly every weekend over the summer although I haven't made it beyond Lucerne yet this season. But if it looks like I'll be up that way (or if you're coming down), PM's for sure.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

I'm working as a park ranger in Stehekin and am lucky enough to get three consecutive days off every week, which allows me to do some pretty cool trips. Just this past weekend I went to Holden for the first time. Here is my campsite at Holden Pass:

This was a typical view on the way towards the summit of Martin Peak.

Views at the top were even better. That's Glacier Peak in the background.

These avalanche lilies are quite delicious.

The view down Flat Creek from the Goode Ridge trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo View Post
    i'll be up in chelan in two weeks with a boat and enough gas to get up there. we'll have to hook up for a beer.
    If you can come up here on the night of August 6th, there is going to be an epic river party going on. It's an "exclusive", "locals only" party but I can get you in. Lots of dancing on the beach and tons of women going skinny dipping.

Group of Stehekin seasonal workers at Ten Mile Pass between Holden and Stehekin.

I've lost count of how many bears I've seen this summer.

Self-portrait deep in the backcountry.

This is awesome.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post

I've lost count of how many bears I've seen this summer.
    Just based on the shape of the head and the way ears look round-ish in that picture, that sure looks like a grizz. No shoulder hump, but could be because of the way it's posed - front legs uphill. Would be cool to see another pic of that bear with head in profile and nose tilted up more.

Anyway, what a sweet place to spend your summer. I'm envious.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Good place to be a bear.

sweet pics gotta make it up there

Didn't bring your skis? That's crazy. There is entirely too much snow there to not ski. I was hoping for ski pics bc this is in the ski forum. Though it does look beautiful there.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Didn't bring your skis? That's crazy. There is entirely too much snow there to not ski. I was hoping for ski pics bc this is in the ski forum. Though it does look beautiful there.
    Well, I spend about five weeks during the off-season living in my Toyota Highlander and I couldn't justify bringing along skis, boots and poles for what probably would have been about 10,000 vertical feet of skiing. Here are a few photos from a friend of mine who has been able to get in a few runs around here this spring/summer.

Hiking up McGregor Mountain in late May. Those are some old racing skis he's got there.

You can faintly see four mountaineers making their way across the glacier in the lower-right corner of this photo. They are beginning the Ptarmigan Traverse here in North Cascades National Park.

^^^
    Just a bit of exposure heading to Cache Col.

to help the skiing relatedness, here's some Central Cascade skiing July 30th. Over 4K skiing well worth the other 4K of trail hiking.

Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Just based on the shape of the head and the way ears look round-ish in that picture, that sure looks like a grizz. No shoulder hump, but could be because of the way it's posed - front legs uphill. Would be cool to see another pic of that bear with head in profile and nose tilted up more.
    Without a doubt that is a brown bear/griz little one probably 3 momma just kicked him out.

Finally I get to post a photo of some ski tracks. This is near the top of Sahale Peak.

Beautiful in so many regards
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Yo Soup! Good to see you heading north for a while. Maybe just head N & E this winter and check out ID/MT/BC/AB and we could make some turns. Great to see you keepin the dream alive.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap