Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I have a couple of codes if anyone wants one.
    Do you have to get the paid service to get invites? I can't seem to find it. I did however get invites to friends in facebook but I don't know where to find them within the app.
    I think you have me confused with someone who is far less awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    Do you have to get the paid service to get invites? I can't seem to find it. I did however get invites to friends in facebook but I don't know where to find them within the app.
    Am I missing something? Anyone can sign up. All they need to do is invite themselves through the home page. I just did this for my pops last week.

Maybe it is off invite only now? I know when I got it I needed an invite...

I think their server capacity is close to the demand now. I've heard of a lot of people getting invites for the free version minutes after signing up for them on the website.

FWIW, I got 10 invites for the free version after signing up for the primo. When I went through those, they gave me 10 more.

If you want to share invites, got to the web page and log in to your account. From there, click on the drop down arrow next to your username in the top right hand corner and select "share spotify."

I think the invite phase is over if you sign up with a facebook account. The default setting for now it seems is that fb will put every friggin' song you play on your wall and friends' tickers. I think I got it turned off by going to my profile and hovering to the right of the ".... played..... on spotify" and selecting the "only me option." I'm all for music sharing but this is a little much.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    I think the invite phase is over if you sign up with a facebook account. The default setting for now it seems is that fb will put every friggin' song you play on your wall and friends' tickers. I think I got it turned off by going to my profile and hovering to the right of the ".... played..... on spotify" and selecting the "only me option." I'm all for music sharing but this is a little much.
    I requested an invite with my facebook account, but then never allowed spotify app to get my facebook info. Glad I didn't.

FB has really shit the bed recently.

Also if you click on the spotify/music icon under your apps on your home screen it shows every thing your friends have recently listened to..click "remove spotify" to get rid of the app in FB....it still keeps your FB people in the external spotify client (which I really like) as far as I can tell.

This is just the beginning...major FB changes are coming very soon. People usually bitch about them for a few days and then go on like nothing happened.

So, question... I want to share playlists and all that good stuff (more like take other people's playlists because I'm terrifyingly uncreative with my music), but I don't want my Facebook to update automatically every 5 minutes telling everyone what track I'm listening. How does one do this? Disclaimer: I don't actually know if it will do this, but I figure that if it does, it might be a royal PITA to undo it...

And finally, what are you crackpots listening to? My profile is my TGR name, but as warned above, I don't have the broadest musical knowledge...

It only updates on the side bar. It's not like it posts to your profile every song. For example, this is what is shown on my profile today for what I listened to while at work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-10-05 at 10.44.51 PM.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	10.7 KB 
ID:	101075  

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    So, question... I want to share playlists and all that good stuff (more like take other people's playlists because I'm terrifyingly uncreative with my music), but I don't want my Facebook to update automatically every 5 minutes telling everyone what track I'm listening. How does one do this? Disclaimer: I don't actually know if it will do this, but I figure that if it does, it might be a royal PITA to undo it...

And finally, what are you crackpots listening to? My profile is my TGR name, but as warned above, I don't have the broadest musical knowledge...
    I think the invite phase is over if you sign up with a facebook account. The default setting for now it seems is that fb will put every friggin' song you play on your wall and friends' tickers. I think I got it turned off by going to my profile and clicking on "show similar stories" next to the "____played____ on spotify" then hovering over the gears to the right and selecting the "only me option." I'm all for music sharing but this is a little much. Kind of lame they made this so obscure to turn off.
    I added you BigKuba. I've got a ton of good shit...IMO obviously, ha ha. I'm mostly into indie/electronic and hip-hop these days but have 50+ playlists now so there should be something for everyone.

To those who don't know, you can add people with this syntax in the client search bar:

spotify:user:username

spotify:user:stalefish3169 to add me

Here are some good lists too

Entourage
    http://open.spotify.com/user/dalys/p...r9LcReZiD2N0gM

The Ladies
    http://open.spotify.com/user/robotic...Or5s0qD3lk4Atk

my hip hop
    http://open.spotify.com/user/stalefi...PjUrO0fkVgLQPA

my electro/indie
    http://open.spotify.com/user/stalefi...xzc1ZsJus7UXnw

Anyone on here have a playlist with ski movie music? Mostly looking for relatively older stuff (e.g., early-mid 2000s).

I know I can piece it together from skimoviemusic.com or whatever, but figure someone here may have already done that.

This thing is rad, especially for someone like me who isn't awesome discovering new music

I'm having a hard time with Spotify and Rdio

I already own SOOO much music... and can't always stream....

hmph... I guess I'll have to get used to it.... or is should I start looking at it in the 'additional' way?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I'm having a hard time with Spotify and Rdio

I already own SOOO much music... and can't always stream....

hmph... I guess I'll have to get used to it.... or is should I start looking at it in the 'additional' way?
    Spotify and Rdio both have offline play.

Spotify automatically imports your existing music into its search bar (not if they're .flac files though). Just because you own sooooo much music doesn't mean that you won't still own it if you use a streaming service. FWIW, I own probably close to 300GB of music. Since I started using Spotify 3 months ago, I've barely listened to any of it and could really give a shit if I had to give it all up. Understandably, it will take some getting used to this idea, but lots of people thought rockered skis were just a fad when they came out. I'm holding onto my hundreds of CDs only for their sentimental value and because I have a hi-fi player that they sound awesome on, but I honestly never listen to them anymore.

In other news, looks like Rhapsody just bought Napster. Seems like they're feeling the Spotify heat.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...-napster.shtml

Merger Of The Also Rans: Rhapsody Buys Napster
    from the too-late dept
    With so much attention paid to the new generation of music subscription offerings, Spotify, Rdio and Mog, it appears that the last generation, Napster and Rhapsody, decided the best course of action was to join forces in bitterness at the fact no one mentions either of them any more. The two companies have gone through a variety of different owners over the past decade or so, with Rhapsody being spun out from RealNetworks last year, and Napster being under the Best Buy umbrella for a while -- where almost nothing was done to build up the service. I recognize that the two companies may be annoyed that no one cares about them any more, but I really can't see either establishing enough of a presence to get back into the conversation.

Spotify and Rdio both have offline play.

Spotify automatically imports your existing music into its search bar (not if they're .flac files though). Just because you own sooooo much music doesn't mean that you won't still own it if you use a streaming service. FWIW, I own probably close to 300GB of music. Since I started using Spotify 3 months ago, I've barely listened to any of it and could really give a shit if I had to give it all up. Understandably, it will take some getting used to this idea, but lots of people thought rockered skis were just a fad when they came out. I'm holding onto my hundreds of CDs only for their sentimental value and because I have a hi-fi player that they sound awesome on, but I honestly never listen to them anymore.

In other news, looks like Rhapsody just bought Napster. Seems like they're feeling the Spotify heat.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...-napster.shtml

Merger Of The Also Rans: Rhapsody Buys Napster
    from the too-late dept
    With so much attention paid to the new generation of music subscription offerings, Spotify, Rdio and Mog, it appears that the last generation, Napster and Rhapsody, decided the best course of action was to join forces in bitterness at the fact no one mentions either of them any more. The two companies have gone through a variety of different owners over the past decade or so, with Rhapsody being spun out from RealNetworks last year, and Napster being under the Best Buy umbrella for a while -- where almost nothing was done to build up the service. I recognize that the two companies may be annoyed that no one cares about them any more, but I really can't see either establishing enough of a presence to get back into the conversation.
    That's exactly what the 'additional' thing was I was talking about... i'll have to figure it out

Rdio or Spotify, that's the next question.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    Anyone on here have a playlist with ski movie music? Mostly looking for relatively older stuff (e.g., early-mid 2000s).

I know I can piece it together from skimoviemusic.com or whatever, but figure someone here may have already done that.

This thing is rad, especially for someone like me who isn't awesome discovering new music
    I made one a while back. It's mostly late 2000s, I was working backwards and got tired of searching for the songs after a while. I was surprised how much stuff Spotify didn't have.

http://open.spotify.com/user/zartage...bkp0CtWtMGRg6E

edit: just added a bunch
    Last edited by zartagen; 10-16-2011 at 11:08 PM.

OK, I've fucked around with all sorts of music players and cloud type services for a while now and here's my .02...I'm quite serious about my music first off...and ocd style picky about how shit interfaces and all that. I just recently ditched an mp3 player and started using my android phone as a player. I was using poweramp for a while, tried google beta...then back to poweramp, winamp, doubletwist, etc.. I tried spotify for about 2 days and then ditched it cause the sound quality is pretty much dog shit as far as I'm concerned and the horid organization had me pissed immediately. After ditching spotify I tried everything else I could find and they all had some issue. So...after some thinking(mostly about how sweet spotify would be if it sounded good and had a nice library) and more fucking around I now use spotify (synching/new music) and poweramp (player)for the perfect setup. I never realized you could do both...which is why I'm posting about it, cause it fucking rules. The only thing i have to do is update my folders in poweramp whenever i want to get new stuff that spotify has put in folders on my sd card. I have the premium or whatever it's called and the stuff from from spotify goes on my sd card so it's cake. I love how poweramp skips songs with a long click of the phone button on the headphones too...fucking briliant.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    OK, I've fucked around with all sorts of music players and cloud type services for a while now and here's my .02...I'm quite serious about my music first off...and ocd style picky about how shit interfaces and all that. I just recently ditched an mp3 player and started using my android phone as a player. I was using poweramp for a while, tried google beta...then back to poweramp, winamp, doubletwist, etc.. I tried spotify for about 2 days and then ditched it cause the sound quality is pretty much dog shit as far as I'm concerned and the horid organization had me pissed immediately. After ditching spotify I tried everything else I could find and they all had some issue. So...after some thinking(mostly about how sweet spotify would be if it sounded good and had a nice library) and more fucking around I now use spotify (synching/new music) and poweramp (player)for the perfect setup. I never realized you could do both...which is why I'm posting about it, cause it fucking rules. The only thing i have to do is update my folders in poweramp whenever i want to get new stuff that spotify has put in folders on my sd card. I have the premium or whatever it's called and the stuff from from spotify goes on my sd card so it's cake. I love how poweramp skips songs with a long click of the phone button on the headphones too...fucking briliant.
    Why does poweramp sound better than the spotify mobile app? Just because of the eq or what? I think it already sounds great with the high quality stream/sync running through my phone into my hi-fi. The bass is really clean which is usually first to suffer.

Can you browse the catalog from power amp too? IMO the biggest weakness of the mobile spotify app is the browsing, and that you can't see your friends playlists. It's still better than the other UI's I've had. Rhapsody and Slacker sucked when I had 'em.

Also, I though the synced stuff on the SD was encrypted? If power amp is teh cat's meow like you sez, maybe it's worth the $5.

Yeah, the eq on poweramp is great...huge difference in sound for me. 10 band eq, preamp, plus bass and treble adjust...and you can assign presets to different things..headphones, speaker, etc. Poweramp also organizes music well and is highly customizable...it just does everything right. You cant access any o spotifys features from poweramp but i only play music through my phone...i aquire it /search for it almost exclusively on my pc anyway. Maybe the files that are "borrowed" from them are encrypted...everything i synched
    was my own and i have full access to it on the sd card. Im gonna try some recording software to rip spotify tracks on the pc...sounds easy and cheaper than buying on amazon. Poweramp app is free for 2 weeks so trying it out wouldnt hurt.
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

I just had a couple more friends recommend hopping on spotify

Just to be clear - theres no way to sign up without giving it access to facebook? Cuz thats lame.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

You can sign up without giving it access to Facebook. The only limitation then is that to share music you'd need other people's Spotify names rather than just porting over your FB friend list. You decide how big an inconvenience that is.

On a related and probably repeated note, anyone else want to share what you're listening to? My tragic flaw is going deep on a few bands, inevitably leading to getting stuck in a musical rut. I've gotten some good shit from stalefish (thank you sir), so that's a good start. I'm on there with my TGR name.

That being said, I have awesomely whittled-down playlists from the few bands I've gotten stuck on (right now I happen to be on a Caucasian Mountain Music kick)...
    Last edited by BigKuba; 11-01-2011 at 10:17 PM.

fyi - now available in many euro countries, including switzerland.

got on it last night and it looks really cool.

hey tgr spotifyers - how can i get access to your playlists? it would be cool to listen to each others playlists to discover new good music. i know there's at least a few people here that have excellent taste such as moi.

you can add people with this syntax in the client search bar:

spotify:user:username
    me: my TGR name
    stalefish3169: his TGR name

Anyone else? Want to just add to this list in a reply?

cool, i'm me too.