Jackson area recommendations?

Going to head out tomorrow to Jackson for about a week to visit a friend who is going to be in town. Was curious if anybody has any recommendations for where a hack can wet a fly (recommendations for a good beer after welcome as well - if anybody's around I'll buy first round).

Thx
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Flat creek (on the elk refuge in town) has a july 15 opener. Can't get much more convenient than that. Hacks don't hook up many fish there but the big ones are in there if you do it with skill. Educated C&R fish, plenty of "teachers" and the narrow yet suprisingly deep cutbanks make this meadow stream one of the region's most demanding tests of stealth and finesse.

sounds like those fish will be safe from me....
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Flat creek (on the elk refuge in town) has a july 15 opener.
    Whoa really? Is that new this year? I could have sworn it was always Aug1.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    Whoa really? Is that new this year? I could have sworn it was always Aug1.
    Maybe it is, I could be confusing it with the RR ranch 6/15 opener. I don't fish the east side during high season as there are so many, many more JH anglers to compete with than over here. Fished all afternoon yesterday, got first tracks, had very confident and uneducated big fish busting salmonflies skated along the bank and saw a few kayakers go by but not another angler. Thats my kind of fishing.

Flat Creek on the upper refuge, (just north of Jackson) opens August 1st. However, if you are looking for a quick fix, the section of Flat Creek about 5 miles south of town is open and running clear enough to fish. It's not the fishery that the Elk Refuge section is but you can find good caddis, pmd and stone hatches on it. There is only about 1.5 miles, at best, of legal fishing water so don't expect to be alone unless you go really early or right before sunset....then you might only run into me. The catching is easier than the other section.

You might catch the Gros Ventre or Pacific Creek, (GTNP), prior to your departure but that's a big MAYBE. They both are still high and dirty but dropping. Some of the sprig creeks have opened but you'd be looking at an upper flat creek style of fishing.

If you want to make a day outta it just skip the Jh side and head to the Henrys Fork or a trib over there! Better fishing right now anyway.

Beers:

I have my bar seats at a couple spots but I sit on the stools where I do cuz they are within a mile of my house in Wilson. No real "must-see" bars IMO on either side of the tetons except for Dornan's in GTNP. Gear view and well worth driving 10-15mins from town.

Otherwise, the Snake River Brewery is a good spot that will be chocked full of locals and visitors. The caddilac on the square has 2-1 happy hr beers/drinks. I hang for happy hr at the Calico on the village road. Good spot and not crowded early. Right nextdoor is the Q roadhouse. They have 2-1's too....both calico and the Q have outdoor seating.

Take the gondola up to the Couloir deck at the Village, (Jhmr). Good for a drink or 2.

Beyond that stop anywhere with a liquor license. Every spot has some kinda special or claim to fame.
    Last edited by schwerty; 07-18-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks for the rundown schwerty. Will likely check out the open part of Flat Creek. Wouldn't mind finding a hike in spot somewhere as well, something to weed out the masses, but with the temps and snow melt not sure if that's going to happen.

Checked out Snake River last nite for a few beers on the suggestion of a couple people up at that pizza/(mediocre) beer joint in Victor (can't recall the name). Heard about the 2-for-1 and may try and hit that up as well, though the gondola/outdoor bar sounds pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Mt_Dreamin View Post

Checked out Snake River last nite for a few beers on the suggestion of a couple people up at that pizza/(mediocre) beer joint in Victor (can't recall the name).
    Hey, that joint is my new second home. I was prolly there. you gonna be back?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Sat upstairs at the bar the other day cuz it was apeshit downstairs. I can be back for sure, just a short walk away from it. You going tomorrow PM?