RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi

Gardening Mags: Why is my oak tree weeping, this year? And when will it stop?

So, it didn't happen last year... but I've only been in this house for two summers, now. My oak tree is weeping like crazy, and dripping all over my driveway and vehicles.

The only thing I can think of to attribute it to is that I cut down the willow that was next to it, and fed the open trunk with a stump killer, and perhaps this poison has gotten into the roots of the live oak tree.

Anyone ever experience this?
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

You tree is a big pussy. Tell it to suck it up and act like a mighty oak not a weeping willow.

you have angered the Ents. They will get back at you one drop at a time.

Poisoning a weeping willow - really? Yes they are a pain in the ass, but still one of my favorite trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

If by weeping you mean dripping a clear sticky fluid from the canopy, you've got some variation of aphids (woolies, asians, etc.) - something's probably stressed your oak (possibly the poison). You should be able to visually idenitify the aphids if this is the case, and CAREFULLY spot spray with a mild insecticide to get rid of them. If it's a small tree I'd just use a water nozzle spray to physically dislodge them. If it's the bark that's weeping ..... you're fucked.

the stump killer could have something to do with it-> that is if any made it into the soil...

also willows take up a ton of water so now the oak has way too much water... and they dont like water at all.

other than that what PB said.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    If by weeping you mean dripping a clear sticky fluid from the canopy, you've got some variation of aphids (woolies, asians, etc.) - something's probably stressed your oak (possibly the poison). You should be able to visually idenitify the aphids if this is the case, and CAREFULLY spot spray with a mild insecticide to get rid of them. If it's a small tree I'd just use a water nozzle spray to physically dislodge them. If it's the bark that's weeping ..... you're fucked.
    +2

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    those oaks along the driveway were always messy
    there probably pissed I never took the xmass lights out of them
    That willer had outlived it's useful life
    Whated that cost ya? Too much to have a carver come in and do a totem pole or a giant maggot on skis
    Been meaning to drop of a few skis if you still have the ski fence going
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno