Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    Meh. You weren't there. My first hand impression of it was that they were skeevy. If you were in tight workout clothes instructed to be bent over touching ur toes ass in the air and my buddies and I giggled from behind commenting Loudly to each other about about how flexible you were, you wouldn't be grossed out? If you were the only woman? Our if your girlfriend experienced that you wouldn't mind? Please.
    Other gym where I'm taking self defense classes is great, treated like an equal not eye candy our a piece of meat. People there are nice!

Sorry 4 typos, lack of eloquence and stuff, I'm on my phone

A, lsoi never said I felt threatened by them, just that they were jerks! If I'm paying you $50 an hour to tech me how to box im not going to tolerate assholism. Just found a new place where I liked the vibe better. They were probably just shocked an actual real live female showed up at their gym!
    I rest my case.
    good luck!
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Crud's Uncle View Post
    ....No one I know trains to defend themselves against a flash mob....
    Foolish mistake....

# # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Sftc, I liked ur other sf flash mob pic better! Also the other kind of flash mob we get round these parts is of the folsom st fair variety... who stun u into submission with bondage leather in 80*heat induced BO

Hugh Conway Guest
    Third, flash mobs are a lot more common then your suicidal driver analogy.
    That epidemic of violent flash mobs sweeping the nation murdering and raping. Orders of magnitude more common than road deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    That epidemic of violent flash mobs sweeping the nation murdering and raping. Orders of magnitude more common than road deaths.
    Orders of magnitude, wow I am impressed. You must have taken a science class.

Too bad reading isn't your strong suit. Road deaths do not equal your suicidal driver analogy.

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

They were probably just shocked an actual real live female showed up at their gym!
    you wouldn't be grossed out? If you were the only woman?
    treated like an equal not eye candy our a piece of meat
    tight workout clothes
    just that they were jerks!

Unfucking believable!

All-male boxing gyms are normally oases of civility and gender neutral behavior....... in the same way that Samoans always move out your way when you lay on the horn.

if I'm paying you $50 an hour to tech me how to box
    As a novice? You're being ripped off.

Seriously if you've decided boxing is your solution (and it doesn't sound like too bad a choice) why not find a gym that is frequented by other women or specializes in womens boxing classes? It's not that rare nowadays.

Of course turning yourself into a TGR reality show version of Million $ Baby might have got you more attention?

Also you know the rules. Can we get pictures of your ass to judge flexibilty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Leaving pepper spray in your car can be troublesome if you live in warm environs. My brother had a can for bears that he left in his car.After prolonged periods in the St. Louis sun heated car,it started to leak,while he was driving,which was disconcerting to say the least.

Security batons are illegal in a lot of states & I'd be shocked if Cali wasn't one of them.

The problem with martial arts is not just having to practice to learn muscle memory,it's that you must also get used to being hit & still be able to react & perform under duress.That's quite different from most training that people do.It's kinda like the difference between walking a balance beam on the ground ,& one 40' in the air. Not to mention most women aren't into black eyes,split lips,& broken blood vessels.I studied Kenpo until an injury ended my desire to fight often.

I'd still consider the MA thing but look for an emphasis on 1st strike/dirty pool . Maybe carry a object on your key ring that could be used with speed & surprise.
    Calmer than you dude

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Unfucking believable!

All-male boxing gyms are normally oases of civility and gender neutral behavior....... in the same way that Samoans always move out your way when you lay on the horn.

As a novice? You're being ripped off.

Seriously if you've decided boxing is your solution (and it doesn't sound like too bad a choice) why not find a gym that is frequented by other women or specializes in womens boxing classes? It's not that rare nowadays.

Of course turning yourself into a TGR reality show version of Million $ Baby might have got you more attention?

Also you know the rules. Can we get pictures of your ass to judge flexibilty.
    1. I didn't think boxing was or wasn't the solution, I was just trying it out to see if I liked it. I found another strictly Self defense place that is a better fit. Also according to that boxing gym's yelp reviews, they are one of the most affordable places to train in the city, the rates.go down I think once you learn the basic punches and can go to the group workouts. In any case, for now, im gonna stick with the Defensive Tactics class at the other martial arts place add then add their escrima class on saturdays next month once I am no longer working weekends!
    2. The guys I honked at weren't samoan I don't know what nationality they were; that was my friend who got her car axed.
    3. No photos of my butt on the internet anymore now that I have a respectable carEer in public service! Had to clean my act up
    Cheers

Also according to the boxing gyms yelp reviews, they are one of the more affordable places to train in the city, the rates.go down I think once you learn the basic punches and can go to the group workouts.
    That sounds a completely bassackwards way of learning to box.

Maybe things have changed since I did?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Oh I should add in case anyone is looking for a place in,the future:
    The place I found and have been doing classes at the past 2 weeks and really really enjoying is here:
    http://www.umaacademy.info/
    already feel like ive learned some stuff that could put into use if needed like what to do if strangled, lots of personal instruction, affordable and everyone there is super helpful and nice!
    It would be fun if any sf mags want to come try it out!

Pnw, I dunno... Guess they are free to run their boxing gym as they see fit! If I try another boxing place later I will for sure keep ur advice in mind, thank you

This:

These subcompacts are very light and easy to hide. I’d be surprised if some of your fellow medics were not carrying something similar. No one will ever know that you are carrying, legal or not, and if you never need it then so much the better. Also, it’s better to deal with a concealed weapon rap (or assault or murder) than end up dead, dead, dead.

There is no reason you cannot be situationally aware, avoidant, know how to fight, etc. and still be armed.

This won't help with ass-grabbers and cock wavers...might as well just sit back and enjoy that shit.

Also, you simply need to learn to STFU. NY’ers talk shit to each other in traffic all the time…other places, it may not fly. If you have any doubt about your ability to STFU, then a firearm is not a good option.
    Last edited by burns-all-year; 07-14-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Orders of magnitude, wow I am impressed. You must have taken a science class.
    Too bad reading isn't your strong suit. Road deaths do not equal your suicidal driver analogy.
    These days the Euro$-NeoCommies tolerate violent flash mobs with suicidal drivers in bikinis, like this recent one in the pics below, because of their anti-hate laws or some bullshit.

It started out like a typical flash mob:

It escalated quickly, it really got out of hand fast:

I'm not sure how it ended, but I heard Santa died:

Most likely this stuff will pop up in SF next.
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

a cane is legal even in babs-boxer land,and can be very useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRD9_Jc2OOY

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14