Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    For the record, I studied Tang Soo Do (a close relative of Tae Kwan Do) while growing up. I stopped a little short of my black belt. Although I put in several years of work at a formative age, at this point I don't think I'd be a total ace in a fight. I'm a pretty big, strong, guy, and I know how to land a punch or a kick that could really cripple some random street crazy, but I wouldn't want to get into any sort of drawn-out confrontation, and I don't think it would do me any good if somebody jumped me from behind in an unanticipated way. Having said that, Tang Soo Do is probably as good as any other martial art. I think the biggest advantage that it gives me is that I look less like a potential target because I know how to fight a little bit and that gives me some confidence.
    couple of things,
    1) good ol wrestling training worked pretty well when I was jumped from behind in an unanticipated way a few years back
    2) the confidence thing can be a double edge sword, I used to walk around NYC pretty unafraid as i always figured i was not an easy target, but proved to be a bit over confident.
    My uncle Crud has some very good points about:

Do they teach situational awareness?

Do they teach pre-contact indicators?

Do they teach to act pre-emptively?

in retrospect when i got attacked it was from ignoring all of this. Walking diaganally through Central Park home after a show thee at night , not listening to the punk kids behind me spitting on the ground and reving each other up, and not turning around and confronting them or hauling ass once i realized what they may have been up to

buy a tazer C, havent you seen/read the Dragon Tattoo books?

Woodsy,
    You reminded me of something that happened to me when I was a teenager walking around in NYC one evening w/ a friend. We were near Washington square and some very creepy guys had been walking behind us for what I thought was "too long." I literally got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, it was the way they were laughing and their tone of voice.

So I started listening in to them (they were speaking spanish) and did not like what I heard. They were talking about me, my friend, things they'd like to do to us, etc. I don't know what came over me, I was only 15, but I suddenly turned around and started screaming at them at the top of my lungs --in my native spanish-- "You better stop following me you fucking idiots! If you keep on following us, you are going to be in a LOT of trouble. Trouble involving POLICE. We are only 15 years old and you are going to JAIL. Now GET AWAY FROM ME!"

Well, these guys literally turned tail and RAN in the other direction! My friend was like "oh my god what did you say? you sounded crazy!" I guess to them, I sounded perfectly sane though and it worked! Interesting you should bring that up Woodsy because in this situation confrontation was the thing to do. However, it could have backfired (though I doubt it on a city street...lots of people started looking when a crazy teenager started yelling in Spanish!)
    Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

pepper spray or mace... My ex had pepper spray (maybe its mace? can't remember) thanks to her brother that was a federal agent and worried she could get attacked when she was living alone in South Boston. She never had to use it, but did accidentally pepper spray herself when testing it out... yeah she was not the smartest girl.

I actually have my ex's pepper spray as she left it in our apartment when she decided to move back to the PNW. I am moving to SF later this month and are welcome to it if you want it.

Really sorry to read this!

I highly recommend Krav Maga. It's not sporting, it's used to beat up innocent people in Israel, but it's exactly what you need to defend yourself...
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sftc View Post
    Seriously, did you miss the part where BeanDip said she lives in San Francisco? Over the last 20 or so years there has consistently been less then 10 concealed weapons permits in the county of S.F. at any one time and all of them were issued to former cops, judges and prosecutors. In some of the rural CA counties it's relatively easy to get a CCW license but San Francisco is proudly notorious for having some of the toughest gun laws in the country.
    Nope I know where she lives. I didn't bother to familiarize myself with SF gun laws before posting. I've never been to California and concealed carry is not an issue where I come from. Something about the 2nd Amendment.

Carvedog: I'm not the one calling people assholes on an internet forum. Talk about escalating a situation out of the blue haha. Take your own advice BRO. Fuck off.

San Fran never changes. Freaky homeless people etc..But also some very "hard" types too.

1. get some mace. But remember, you cannot use it on the buses etc..so

2. Sign up for a self defense class. You dont need 12 months of krav maga, but those are the techniques you need to learn. Basic nut cracking, neck/wind pipe chopping stuff. But only use it when someone has a hold of you, or you risk getting shot or stabbed. Always head the other way, call 911, or ask for help from someone.

As guys, we give off a different vibe. We know if we make eye contact with the wrong types, we can attract problems we have to settle ourselves. So act as if those people are not even there. Never talk back or escalate the situation. If they wont hit a girl, their sister or girlfriend will gladly shank you. Also, Be conscious of where you park, who you stand near on buses etc. Stick around normal looking guys on sketchy streets or buses whose presence might deter a freak.

Sorry to hear, stay safe.

"never honk at a car full of Samoans" Since someone already raised this, I will now add to it.

When I was in high school in San Mateo, If we were at a party and someone yelled, "the Tongans are here" you ran for your life, even if it was your house.

Eye contact = bad.

My future husband used to work with a guy who carried a ~footlong electricians screwdriver in a sheath. Very visibly. Everywhere he went. In a state that allows all kinds of guns. I'm pretty sure he probably also exuded a "don't fuck with me attitude," but that screwdriver surely meant business.

There are lots of good thoughts here. Personally, I'd definitely work on the awareness of all those around you. If you work with street crazies at work, and your work is helping them, your attitude towards those types of people is likely much more open than most passersby. And because you see them during work, perhaps you are are aware of them in a different way, and need to further separate your work mode from your walking around by yourself mode.
    I think martial arts would be fun to learn, but I'd definitely work most on the projection of yourself towards others (ie confidence, approachability, etc) and the awareness of weirdos around you.
    I sure hope that you manage to stop this theme of attacks, you sound like a really nice person and it would sure suck to get hurt!

Quote Originally Posted by regct View Post
    Nope I know where she lives. I didn't bother to familiarize myself with SF gun laws before posting. I've never been to California and concealed carry is not an issue where I come from. Something about the 2nd Amendment....
    Yeah sorry, SF's gun laws and the 2nd Amd. are kind of a funny running joke out here in CA. But out here in the Sierra I could basically tell our local sheriff I want one for self defense against animals while working, hiking and camping around here- rattlesnakes, mt. lions and bears - and with a clean record I'd have a fairly decent chance of getting a ccw that is legal in SF as well.
    Here are the CA county by county stats if you want to look. Compare SF to someplace rural, like Shasta County: CCW COUNTS BY COUNTY 2000 THROUGH 2007

Quote Originally Posted by stash searcher View Post
    My future husband used to work with a guy who carried a ~footlong electricians screwdriver in a sheath....
    That was (is) a favorite weapon of the Bay area biker gangs so it probably wouldn't fly in SF. Same thing with ball-peen hammers and I'm fairly certain any type of billy club or baton is illegal for civilians to carry in CA. Not kidding.

I carry a 18" hickory "tire whacker" that I bought at a truck stop in CO under my seat. I carry it in case I ever need to knock the mud off of my tires before I park my car at night. If I'm on the road sometimes I take it from my car to my hotel room or tent, just because I would hate to have it stolen out of my car.
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Quote Originally Posted by sftc View Post
    Yeah sorry, SF's gun laws and the 2nd Amd. are kind of a funny running joke out here in CA. But out here in the Sierra I could basically tell our local sheriff I want one for self defense against animals while working, hiking and camping around here- rattlesnakes, mt. lions and bears - and with a clean record I'd have a fairly decent chance of getting a ccw that is legal in SF as well.
    Here are the CA county by county stats if you want to look. Compare SF to someplace rural, like Shasta County: CCW COUNTS BY COUNTY 2000 THROUGH 2007

That was (is) a favorite weapon of the Bay area biker gangs so it probably wouldn't fly in SF. Same thing with ball-peen hammers and I'm fairly certain any type of billy club or baton is illegal for civilians to carry in CA. Not kidding.

I carry a 18" hickory "tire whacker" that I bought at a truck stop in CO under my seat. I carry it in case I ever need to knock the mud off of my tires before I park my car at night. If I'm on the road sometimes I take it from my car to my hotel room or tent, just because I would hate to have it stolen out of my car.
    Holy crap! I thought whoever said "maybe 10" was exaggerating. I don't even own a handgun but IME where I'm from, all anyone needs is a relatively clean/non-violent record w/out any felonies and a CCW class on the books. Appear before the board and there ya go. Renew annually by mail.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    i start tomorrow night! in addition to women's self defense, they teach:
    Ju Trap Boxing
    Small Circle Jujitsu
    Jeet Kune Do
    Eskrima

here's the class description of the one i'm going to:

in a fit of "checking other places out" i also signed up for a praying mantis kung fu class tonight and a plain old boxing class friday night (all in different gyms). so we'll see where i feel most at home. but so far i have the bestest feeling about the one above.

if any SF mags or maggettes want to do self defense conmigo shoot me a pm!
    I'm impressed that you know about Krav Maga. The above description of the class sounds good to me: Basically, it seems the instructor is going about it like a famous Bruce Lee quote: "Absorb what is useful". Good luck.
    I'll throw in a recommendation for an interesting book by Gavin deBecker, "The Gift of Fear".
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Save your you can't suggest that someone breaks the law comments.

I would carry concealed regardless of the law. I would gladly trade legal trouble for the ability to defend myself. Especially, with the economy crashing, flash mobs spreading, muggings and violence becoming common place, my life and my family's lives are more important then obeying a law that limits my ability to protect those I love.

First get a Benchmade knife with a three inch blade. Get a folding knife. Take the gorgeous little satin bag with the Benchmade logo on it and give it to a friend. Your knife is of no use to you inside a bag. Also remove the belt clip if there is one attached. The belt clip sucks, you never want anyone to know you have a weapon till you pull it out, and the clip makes the knife just a little slower coming out of your pocket. It also adds just that much more weight and takes up just that much more room in your pocket. Lose the clip. Then get good at opening the knife. A good knife can be snapped open by flicking your wrist. Benchmade knives are known for two things, first scalpel like sharpness and second their superb opening mechanism. We all carry them at WARI.

Next step in our humble opinion is traditional karate.

Good luck, it blows that you have to put up with this.

Benchmade

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4005.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	98283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4004.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	130.9 KB 
ID:	98284  

Quote Originally Posted by Crud's Uncle View Post
    ...... flash mobs spreading,.....
    Yea, watch out for that shit

I'm blown away by the suggestions to carry any sort of weapon. If you carry Anything, you'd better know how to use it and be damn sure nobody can take it away from you. Any 6'4" 280# MMA fighter with a gun or baton will hit their knees when they get sprayed in the face with mace by a mugger.

I work with this demographic on a daily basis, and my advice is to run. The only way you should try to fight is if it's your only option. If you're in a bad section of town, move into the street. Aside from that, stay out of the 'Loin, Market & 6th and Mission. Hunter's Point is not even remotely safe. I have friends that walk home to SOMA through the Tenderloin at 3am, and they've never had a problem.

As far as the groin kick suggestions, make sure you use your x-ray vision to check for un-capped syringes in their pockets. For neck chops, make sure you don't miss and hit their lone tooth. The majority of people living in the T have hep c or HIV, frequently both.

Gun? Sure, I moved here with a compact state CCW permit, worthless here. If you don't know how to use a gun, this isn't the place to learn.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by Crud's Uncle View Post
    .....flash mobs spreading,.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tief schnee View Post
    Yea, watch out for that shit

...innocently you wander into their midst, suddenly things start to get really strange, and then it hits you- "Ah fuck, I'm in San Francisco..."
    # # #

"...You must be a big skier then." I said "no, I'm a petite size 2." Awkward silence.... - Parvo

Heard Hugh lost a testy in the tram line at Kitzbühel via altercation with the local monoboard team circa '93. Has been bitter about game theory since.- Klauss

Next thing you know, OP's gonna be rolling through SF like ol' Clint Eastwood. Bad...ass.

Since guns aren't the SF way, steel-toed boots and a swift quick to the nuts should do juuuuuust fine. Especially since they're presenting their junk to you anyhow. They're just ASKING for it. I'd oblige them next time that happens.

If you are going to get a knife, get a Kabar TDI. You do not want to have to deploy a folder under stress, especially if it is your main defensive tool.

Obviously, you should get training with any weapon, you choose to carry. Kicks in the groin, pepper spray, mace do not stop an aggressive and determined attacker. A bullet in the head will.

Quote Originally Posted by WARI avalanche research institute View Post
    First get a Benchmade knife with a three inch blade. Get a folding knife. Take the gorgeous little satin bag with the Benchmade logo on it and give it to a friend. Your knife is of no use to you inside a bag. Also remove the belt clip if there is one attached. The belt clip sucks, you never want anyone to know you have a weapon till you pull it out, and the clip makes the knife just a little slower coming out of your pocket. It also adds just that much more weight and takes up just that much more room in your pocket. Lose the clip. Then get good at opening the knife. A good knife can be snapped open by flicking your wrist. Benchmade knives are known for two things, first scalpel like sharpness and second their superb opening mechanism. We all carry them at WARI.

Next step in our humble opinion is traditional karate.

Good luck, it blows that you have to put up with this.
    I carry one of my three Benchmade assisted opening knives pretty much all the time. I guarantee that I can draw the clipped knife at the top of my pocket faster than a knife buried deep in my pocket. The knife is foremost for me a handy tool, and second a potential weapon. I am larger than most people, and I live in a pussy ski town, so I really need no protection, but I prefer it
    Last edited by Jethro; 07-09-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Sounds like you have things handled...but I'll add this: I worked a few winters with a guy who was an ex-SEAL. One evening, after a few whiskeys, I asked him to teach me a baddass move in case I got into a serious fight. "If you truly think your life is in jeopardy, kick them in the balls as hard as you can. Squash their eyes with your thumb if it continues."

Despite all the tough talk here, I think situational awareness is the ticket. People are fucking crazy, keep your mouth shut.
    I lived in SF for a year about a decade ago, and honestly, it was the massive dichotomy between the uber-rich and the gnarly homeless scene that bothered me enough to leave. I never had any run-ins with crazies, but had a car stolen and broken into about 5 times.
    Beautiful city, but I enjoyed spending most of my time out in the Richmond or Sunset. Downtown and the Mission kinda suck.

For a self defense class, I'd recommend the concealed weapons class put on by your local PD, and a subcompact .38 that you can fit in about any purse you carry. back that up w/ pepper spray, a tazer or whatever, and you'll be as 'defended' as you can be. A self-defense class might be helpful against a strung out bum who hasn't eaten in a month, but really, I don't believe it's going to get you far against a 200# cranked out pcp addict with some serious animosity. Flash a gun in his face though, he'll either be wise enough to leave you alone, or dumb enough to end up dead. Essentially my point, without being masogonistic, is that women even with 'self-defense' skills are extremely vulnerable to those kinds of predators; so pack heat.

editing to add: after reading the knife comments above, I'd recommend a folding knife as well, with a clip, and a 2-3 foot piece of utility cord strung through it connecting the knife to your belt/belt-loop/whatever. You won't lose it, you'll always know exactly where it is yet hardly notice it's there, and it's extremely handy whenever you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    I'm blown away by the suggestions to carry any sort of weapon. If you carry Anything, you'd better know how to use it and be damn sure nobody can take it away from you. Any 6'4" 280# MMA fighter with a gun or baton will hit their knees when they get sprayed in the face with mace by a mugger.

I work with this demographic on a daily basis, and my advice is to run. The only way you should try to fight is if it's your only option. If you're in a bad section of town, move into the street. Aside from that, stay out of the 'Loin, Market & 6th and Mission. Hunter's Point is not even remotely safe. I have friends that walk home to SOMA through the Tenderloin at 3am, and they've never had a problem.

As far as the groin kick suggestions, make sure you use your x-ray vision to check for un-capped syringes in their pockets. For neck chops, make sure you don't miss and hit their lone tooth. The majority of people living in the T have hep c or HIV, frequently both.

Gun? Sure, I moved here with a compact state CCW permit, worthless here. If you don't know how to use a gun, this isn't the place to learn.
    this...

or consider moving to a better place...wtf? nobody should have to put up with that shit. good luck.