Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Maria and the USPS?

Here is the IM I sent to skifishbum(aka dibs) moments ago. I have all confidence that skifishbum sent the rod and tube and the issue is with the Postal service. The tube also looks cracked to me on the end that does not open;

Dibs,

I received the tube. Only the tube missing the end cap! No rod! It showed up today with a very small "RECEIVED IN DAMAGED CONDITON" sticker next to your shipping label. The usps tracking #9502510374511173447919 when entered into the usps.com web site says no info available.

I track down my mail wattress in my nieghborhood and she could not tell me 1) if the end cap was ever there when she had possesion, 2) when the "RIDC" sticker was placed on the tube, 3) how else to help but send me to the web site.

I am going into my local branch in the morning to try and get some answers.

What else should I/we do?

Fish.

Any thoughts?
    "Pffffft, Please."
    Never, EVER, give them permission to enter your vehicle, the dogs are not coming.

ahh oh...
    i dun touched er bfor...

Not sure but I think their standard response is "tough shit, we sell mail insurance and can break whatever we want. We're federal civil servants and know that, no matter what we do wrong, we can't get fired until AFTER we "go postal" on a shooting spree or receive 100 negative annual evaluations, whichever comes first.

I've never had positive experiences with claims with any of the shipping services.

If Maria is indeed gone I can help the collective make the most out of whatever coin available to get a replacement, or possibly procure one for free.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Super bummed to return from a stellar fishin weekend to find out usps fucked this shit up, my cheap ass didn't insure her,and what was a kickass on going celebration/tradition of maggots fishing a fine hand mag made rod is in danger of ending. Rod was last seen packed in the cabelos tube wrapped in TU, fkna change 4 a $.05 and assorted swag stickers lime green brake retaining rubber bands and used pipe cleaners inside of the well decorated plastic tube encased in newspaper with the endcapped sealed with prioritary PRIORITY MAIL tape, 12:26 on 6/26 at the Alta Canyon post office.
    I'll head down to the po today but like snapt said don't expect much.
    I'll be happy to provide HFB w/ a new blank, components and compensation for his time to create a new one if worst case scenerio that she's gone or I can send out a 6 weight sage ds, vt2 or a 5 w vps once this weekends tip carnage gets replaced as a substitute.
    The important thing is this fine tradition of the passing of a fishing impliment and the sharing of stories from the pursuit of the fishes continues despite my having faith in the goverment to perform a simple task like getting said impement from UT to CO in exchange for finacial compensation
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I haved filed a claim with the USPS and as stated above it seems that they don't give a rats ass. The rep I talked with said I will have some sort of response in no longer than 2 business days. I'm holding my breath.

I too am willing to work on whatever the collective deems appropriate, ie production rod, new blank, parts, etc. I will update after my next contact with the usps.
    "Pffffft, Please."
    Never, EVER, give them permission to enter your vehicle, the dogs are not coming.

This sucks man! After all she's been through to have her get lost in the damn mail. Who knows, maybe she'll still turn up. If not, I too am down with contributing to a replacement.

I got your message this weekend, Fish, too bad about Maria. Shit happens I guess. You guys have all seen the outer tube....that thing was damn near bullet proof. I guess it can only get tossed around cargo holds for so long before it needs replacing.

So, I did talk to my dad last night and he would like to donate another rod for the collective. It's just up to us to determine what we want in terms of lenght, wt, action, etc. I know there are a few others that have offered to donate a new factory rod or have one built, but honestly Maria and her travels gave my old man a lot of pleasure and I know he would be super stoked to build another one and send her on the way.

Anyway, let me know what ya'll think about that and I'll keep him posted.

That is again very generous of your pops, so thanks to him. If another rod (different name) is put together, I would only suggest a slightly slower action. I always thought Maria was a bit too fast. 6wt. seems like all-around fun though...doesn't discourage going after smaller fish and can be pushed to an exiting limit on larger fish. 2c.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

I agree with mush. 6 seems about right to cover most types of fishing.

How about a 6wt with moderate action? Maria was a moderate-fast action blank. If anyone wants to suggest a particular blank please do. I know my dad gets discounts on most major manufacturers brands out there.
    Last edited by Happy Fun Ball; 07-06-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
    How about a 6wt with moderate action? Maria was a moderate-fast action blank. If anyone wants to suggest a particular blank please do. I know my dad gets discounts on most major manufacturers brands out there.
    I agree with the 6wt thing. How about a Winston Vapor. It's a solid mid priced blank (about $150 retail I think). Technically a "fast action" blank, but the action winstons are usually a bit slower compared to other manufactures...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

happy to chip in for materials on the next rod. The time/labor donation is awesome, no need for HFB Sr. to throw in money as well

Also, now that she's gone...where are the journal and fly box? Did they ever get scanned/immortalized somewhere? I'd be happy to do that, if I could get them for a couple of days. It's been a year since I had them anyway, bet there's been some good entries since then
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Sorry to jack this thread, but you mags out there are awesome. I've never stopped into the Fishing forum, but for some reason felt compelled to read this thread. Though it totally sucks that Maria is missing, it makes me smile that such a widespread collective of people can work together to do fun stuff like this.
    Thanks for being awesome, folks!

Good points, I'll also be very happy to pitch-in on the $$$$$
    Where's the heck is the journal now??

Quote Originally Posted by khakis View Post
    happy to chip in for materials on the next rod. The time/labor donation is awesome, no need for HFB Sr. to throw in money as well

Also, now that she's gone...where are the journal and fly box? Did they ever get scanned/immortalized somewhere? I'd be happy to do that, if I could get them for a couple of days. It's been a year since I had them anyway, bet there's been some good entries since then
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

Well, this sucks balls, since I was thinking of snagging the last time slot for Maria in Nov.
    Oh well. I'd consider chipping in a bit of $ for her replacement.
    I'd like to get in on this fine tradition even if it cuts into ski season.
    HFB, yer dad rules.

And for what it's worth, 9' 6wt. medium action would be just fine.

This pisses me off. Gotta raise the glass to HFB's Dad once again though! Next time I'm in the UP I will be stopping by for a handshake and a drink.

I am also happy to throw down cash. I know there are plenty of IM... sticks that are basically the same for less but being the action HFB is suggesting, I would be in favor of of a Winston blank. They are super sexy, IMO. And, for a mid-action rod, the WT is as classic as you get. Retail is $375. I am happy to call them if HFB's Dad doesn't have a deal with them and the collective wants to go the Winston route.

My .02 anyway.

Edit: They would prolly engrave it, "Maria" for us on the butt section too!

+1000 on the engraving. And I'm in for $ to make this happen.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Talked to the old man last night. Doesn't sound like he gets any deals on Winston blanks. If anyone has any pull, feel free to start tugging. Might want to mention what the rod is going to be used for and a link to this site and past TR thread as well.

Journal - where the hell is the journal??
    "and not when I come to die, discover that I have not lived"
    H.D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by adipose View Post
    Journal - where the hell is the journal??
    Oh my God... I didn't even think about that. I'm not even involved in this (other than being friends with HFB, Fish and Schwerty) and the thought of the journal being lost turns my stomach...
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

ditto on engraving and cashola.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

I was wondering when Maria would meet her demise. I never thought it wouldn't be on a river.

It would be cool if someone scanned the journal so it doesn't meet the same fate.

I've got a 6 wt blank sitting around, I'd be happy to spin up a replacement if mags could raise a bit of coin so I can break even
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Been hopin MJH was gonna bump this thread saying they found Maria but it's looking like usps screwed the pooch on this one.
    I feel responsible as this happened on my watch and I didn't insure her. HFB a couple of the shops I used to guide for are rlw dealers I can see if I can pro form or pull a hook up on a blank if thats the route you want to go. Looks like her final trip was w/ my dad over fathers day, hopefully that'll bring a smile to his face. My pops and I haven't always seen eye to eye and had our differences, but the memoreis to teenage young adult battles are replaced by those of cool trips to special places in pursuit of the fishes. Both my dad and I dug her as a dry or long leadered deep nymph lake rig. I have the journal and flybox and will get off my slacker ass and write sumthin up and get her to you asap. I still can't believe they managed to crush that bomber pvc case and wonder if they damaged the inner cabelos tube and just chucked it into a dumpster cause that'd be easier than filing a damage report.
    So if your dads a crusty old headstrong guy like my dad and won't take $$$ or a replacement blank, anytime you or he or both make it out west the accomidations, float or tour of local waters, is on me.
    So if you happen to see a postal or aircargo employee or any other peeps along a river pullout and they're sporting a bunch of cool tgr and stickers like these

fishin with a stick that looks like this

Kick sum ass
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno