Thinking about doing something stupid (with my Iggies)

Ok.

So I have 5 skis in my quiver - 204cm K2 Morrisons, 189cm K2 Kahunas, 179cm Pistols, 195 Rossignol Viper Z's, and a pair of 190cm Iggy FFLs. Flex index on them is 250.

I still would like to pick up a few more skis over the next couple seasons, such as a pair of 189 Pistols to replace the Morrisons (they're pretty much done), some shorter park twins to trash and learn the jib thing, and a BC setup complete with different boots. And maybe another semi-fat that's tough, like a K2 Axis XP or something, to have as my early-season, rock ski (that's what I do with my Iggies now, although if it's firm they're challenging to ski for sure).

I've mounted these skis twice. First time around was a pair of Silveretta 404s, also JONGishly mounted kind of back from center. I guess I thought they'd be skiing deep pow all the time or something like that. Anyway I found that in pow they were fine, but otherwise skied like shit on anything remotely firm. I just couldn't flex them on edge, or the edges would skitter out. Whatever, it just wasn't fun.

Then, I got a pair of Solly S912 binders on sale for cheap, and said fuck it, I'll mount those. So being a broke college student, I pulled off the 404s and sold them, and had a friend mount the S912s. He did alright, although the mount is kind of off, so the bindings need to be checked for proper adjustment more than once a season, or I could end up having some days where one ski just did not want to stay on my feet (it's happened more than once). Anyway, the mount's been done, and although it isn't ideal, it's still okay and it totally changed my perception of these skis, I had no issue flexing and loading up the ski. They skied fantastic by comparison. Although the relatively straight shape, along with Montana rock-if-ied edges, can lead to challenging edging on hardpack and ice.

So, now that I have the Kahunas, I have a bigger (and softer flexing) pow ski that floats better in PacNW gunk than the Iggies do. However, I would never want to part with these skis since they were made for me, and as I pointed out earlier I would like to get a BC setup going.

So, I'm thinking of pulling the S912s off of the Iggies (and using it on those 189 Pistols while I can still buy them new), and putting a BC binder on. I'm thinking of going with either the Silveretta Pure, or a Dynafit binding. I want something that allows me to shift weight from side to side to my edges without being washy like Freerides can get, and I want something somewhat durable unlike the Naxos. I probably will end up going with the Dynafit.

So to get to my question, I guess I'm wondering if I'm going to have the same issues skiing the skis like I had when they had the Silveretta 404s on them? I know I had them mounted kind of back, but I also know that downhill bindings transfer energy to the ski a little more better than rando ones do. However, since then I've put on a fair bit of weight (prolly weighed about 180 back then, it was 5 years ago), and the skis have been more than broken in, as they've been skied quite a bit. I could probably mount a little forward of where they are now if the new holes conflict with the existant solly ones...but this is a setup I want to make sure I get right, since it's the skis' 3rd mount. Do Dynafits ski decently?

What do people think? These are a special pair of skis, that I don't want to thrash...
    Last edited by Jumper Bones; 12-29-2004 at 11:38 PM.

the only AT binding to put on iggy's are fritschi FR's.
    please trust me and don't ruin such a great ski.

edit: and put 'em boot center... believe it or not, adam knows what he is doing when designing skis.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 12-29-2004 at 07:51 AM.

so, if I may ask, what's the skiing difference between FR's and Dynafits?

Pistols and Kahunas in the same length? Why?

Pistols to trash with rocks, Kahunas for deep-only, rock-free days.

And I'm a retard.

Less is more.

there is simply not enough binding (dynafit) to drive a ski like that.
    they are designed to be super light touring skis, not a big old fat ski/hucking binding. if this is what you are looking to do, get some voile carbon surf's or some fisher air tour's or some volkl snow wolf's and save the iggy's.
    the dynafits cannot withstand the abuse if you ski an iggy the way it was designed to be skied.
    also, while the selection for boots is getting better, most dynafit compatible boots will not be enough boot to drive the skis either.
    this is like throwing some comp spring race bindings on some ultra-lite touring skis, but in reverse.

cool, kind of what I suspected. Good point on the boot issue, I guess I'd never even considered that.

For boot, I think I'll have to gravitate towards the Scarpa Denali, since my foot tends to be fairly high-volume. It's my understanding that Garmonts tend to run a little narrower.

So will the FRs, with Denalis, be sufficient to drive a ski like that?

yup.
    denali or adrenaline would be your best choice IMHO.
    as always try them both on before you buy.