Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    That's not a bad plan ilikecandy. It's definitely the best plan for the majority of people learning to surf as an adult.

Usually if someone between 18+ learns on a long board then they tend to stay on the longboard/funboard shape forever, with a very few eventually downsizing to a true Shortboard shape.

I'm sure you already know this but the transition down from a 9'0" to a 6'2" is almost like learning to surf all over again. The sweet spot is smaller, the balance is different, paddling is much more difficult and even being in position on a shortboard can be challenging even though they can do it on a LB with no problem. Nevermind fighting the current on a 18 second ground swell at a beach break, most guys will just pack it in and go back to the LB at some reef break with a channel.

If you learn on a shorter board (7'0" or less) then it easier to step down to a true shortboard, once they grasp the basics.

I was determined that speed, quick turns, barrels and the like were why i was interested in surfing. It was a longer road to catching waves but the waves I caught were mind blowing. In the end I've been able to score mind blowing barrels and some thick South Pacific juice that I never would have imagined if I started on a LB. I wouldn't have transitioned over to SB'ing, it would have been to much work to learn to surf all over again.

That's just me though and 99% of the world should start on the LB and downgrade as they get better. I knew I liked adrenaline so SB'ing made sense to me, i actually used to like getting pitched over the falls on bigger days for the rush (I've since smartened up)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecandy View Post
    I think anyone who wants to learn as a full sized adult should go to costco, get a 9' softboard, use it for a week or 2 or a month or 2 or 6 months, or however long it takes you to "master" it. Then sell it for about $10 less than you bought it for and figure out what you want to do next, whether it be really learn to longboard, or learn to ride a short, or whatever. Maybe some of you can tell me what would be wrong with that plan? Seems like a good way to avoid the pitfalls that a lot of people run into
    I've suggested similar before, and usually people pipe in that those boards suck, blah, blah, blah. They do suck, but so do beginners. I think it is a great way to get in to and try the sport with little investment. And they don't ding. So many newbs destroy their boards before they learn about taking care of them.

You will still get frustrated as hell on those foamies, but you will determine if you are willing to live with that frustration (which will happen on any board) and learn to surf.

I would suggest not selling it, and keeping it in the quiver. They can be fun on small days or when friends visit.

I am also thinking about the "ripper" thing. How many people who learned to surf before age 18 rip? I surf well, and am often at the top of the pack, but would not say I am a ripper. I started at 13. I surf better than most of my friends, so I would say they are not rippers either. Of course, that all depends on what you consider a ripper. I would say that it is someone who is always fluid, in position, tight and on top of the wave. If you have those things say 80% of the time, then you surf well.

I spent 10 days surfing at Sayulita. That was the extent of my surfing career so far. I have kayaked for almost twenty years, so the feeling of the wave picking up the back of the board/boat was familiar. On my ten day trip, I was catching waves after about an hour on a 10' rental longboard. I tried my friends 6'-8" board after a few days and could do nothing on it. I do weigh 225 though. My gut feeling is that you should go longer to learn, but wtf do I know.

I like my longboard. I'm a shitty intermediate, and I enjoy the paddling speed and being able to get into waves really early.

Buy a longboard from craigslist. If you get hooked and eventually move to a shorter board you'll still have the longboard for small surf or friends to use, etc. Absolutely nothing wrong with having a LB in your quiver. Every surfer should have one.

I don't know about your location but in San Diego there are easily 20+ longboards posted on craigslist a day. You can get some steals if you pay attention. Lots of people buy a full kit, give up and sell it all (board, travelbag, wetsuit, etc.) cheap 8 months later.

my brain will self destruct in t-minus and counting..
    nice to hear 215# 5'10 and a board under 6'

Yup, 5'10"x19.5x2.4 thick. Think of the CI Pod but it's a Sharp Eye Disco. All the volume is in thickness/width and not length, Paddles like a 6'3" but turns like a potato chip.

^^Nice. I just ordered a mini Simmons from Mabile, 5'8", epoxy. Surfed the 5'4", and it was a hair too short. A bitch to paddle, but soooo much fun when you're up. Double bump, quad, double stringer. Very responsive, super fast. Most of my boards are ~6'0" now, and I'm 6'2" and 240#.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

^^Holy shizz, 6'2" 240lbs riding sub 6' board.....You Da man! What are the other Dims?

28" Wide, 6" thick.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    28" Wide, 6" thick.
    Sarcasm?

Hehehe. No, I left it up to him. We were talking about pushing the 5'4", or just using stock dimensions. There's also kind of a stepped deck on his Simmons, so nose volume is slightly less. I asked for 22.5" wide, 3" thick. Spoon in the nose, single concave out the back.

A $300 foam top 8' foot?

Kind of looks like a poor/expensive choice

^Listen to him

Check this website out and buy boards near your location. Search, you will locate a board within a week or so, if you are anywhere near a beach city

http://www.boardlocker.com/

Where are you located? I need to sell boards and can sell for less than $300, fo sho

If you do go soft top, then this one is a better price

http://www.boardlocker.com/listings/...am-1190092.php

Man up and go with a glass or epoxy board

Been working/playing outside too much lately, started this thread and didn't get to check in for two weeks.

Ideally I'd like to get something that won't cripple learning, but will be useful down the line. I've been scoping CL, problem is I'm like a 50 year old gaper making the 'those look like water skis' comment. The shaping subtleties escape me.

I live and work in East Hampton for the summer. So access to breaks isn't tough.

So it sounds like three options - longboard, softtop longboard, or big fish. I'm 6'1, 165ish. Gnarly body surfer. No, seriously.

That softtop for $200 sounds like a decent option, appreciate the link. There's a couple 7'2"ish fishes for sale locally for $~320 (http://longisland.craigslist.org/spo/2469348575.html). Still too advanced?

Oh, and wtf is this? http://longisland.craigslist.org/spo/2482776050.html
    If you are driving to Jay Peak this evening, please drive carefully you bad ass.

^^That is something you should stay away from. Looks like a reproduction retro shape. If you plan on arching your back when you turn, and clasping your hands behind your back, this board is for you.

Do you not have shops nearby with a good used selection, or a buddy that surfs? That 7S is a great shape, despite being mass-produced by soul-less money grubbing whores. My friend left an 8' version at my place for repairs. I took it to Lake Linda Mar a week ago and had a blast. I think the 8' model would be better for a beginner. I even owned one of these when I was learning. It had a sweet orange swirl resin. I loved that board!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by C.O. Jones View Post
    Ideally I'd like to get something that won't cripple learning, but will be useful down the line. I've been scoping CL, problem is I'm like a 50 year old gaper making the 'those look like water skis' comment. The shaping subtleties escape me.
    the shaping subtlies don't really matter much to you now and you can always sell it for +/- $100 of what you paid for it if you don't like it. It's summer boards are more expensive.

edit: perhaps I'm not getting what you mean by subtleties.

Maybe 'shaping subtleties' wasn't the right term...more along the lines of "i have no idea why one board looks this way, and if that'll help me learn or hurt it".

Anyone have a good website to pick up some shaping knowledge? Been googling but haven't found anything comprehensive.

re: the local surf shop scene, I haven't checked them all but from what i've heard, most are in the business of separating tourists and their money and not much else.
    If you are driving to Jay Peak this evening, please drive carefully you bad ass.

Hugh Conway Guest

Swaylocks is another place you could probably learn more.

Surfermag forum but only in the design forum, you'll get eaten alive in the main forum, the trolls are hungry.

I haven't followed every post, so hopefully this helps and is what you are looking for

-I find length of board less relevant than thickness and width, AKA Volume. I have a 7'6" Gun and an 8'0" funboard, the gun has significantly less volume, which translates into less float, and then into less paddle and then into you going over the falls. Granted they are two different weapons of choice but straight volume is what i'm talking about. Length is similar but volume/float are not
    -I find Volume under your mid section while paddling is most important. Find out if you surf off your front foot or back foot, then add volume in that part of your board.
    -Full rails will be a must for a beginner, on any length of board.
    -Getting something a funboard shape in the 7'0"-8'0" would be a good range to target, if you are looking to start as close to shortboarding but still not going through the growing pains. I went straight to surfing a 6'6" in my early 20's. There are growing pains but I liked getting pitched, kinda weird like that
    -If you aren't down with funboards, maybe an oversized fish/hybrid such as KG, Rusty Piranha, Sharp Eye Blowfish, Disco, Merrick Pod....basically something with rails, lots of foam in the deck but still snappy as hell in good surf. You can fin them in bigger shapes and they have plenty more float than my standard shortboards

Going into a shop and getting the local grom usually translates into superiority complex. Just search online, you'll learn fast

I have to disagree with the short option(pod, disco). The Pod comes in a 6'4", but that isn't the way that board is designed to be ridden for the length. From personal experience, if you skip the 8' funboard and go to something short, fat and thick, you will learn to turn with a jerky style. Then, you can spend much of your first few years trying to smooth out your style. Also, the 8' board has some valuable lessons about trim and glide. Don't miss these. Several people have posted boards that are great examples. Get on it!

I suggested he target a 7'0" to 8'0" but if for some reason he was against funboards and set on shortboarding, then do not go with a standard shorboard. So we are kinda agreeing but I made those other suggestions in case he has already made his mind up.
    Last edited by Piggity; 07-17-2011 at 04:25 PM.