View Poll Results: Summit? (Where and When)

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8/19 -8/21

3 21.43%
  • 9/16 - 9/18

8 57.14%
  • Island Park Basecamp or West Yelowstone

9 64.29%
  • Paradise Valley, MT/Livingston bascamp

1 7.14%
  • Madison/Ennis basecamp

1 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

2011 Rockies Fishing Summit

Might as well do another....or more.

I spoke with TyeOneOn the other day and he put the bug in my ear. Figured it can't hurt to see if anyone wants to get together and rip some lip this summer.

We had ourselves some good fun around Jackson last time around. Maybe try parking ourselves in the Island Park, ID area? Outside West Yellowstone? Somewhere on the Maddy or the Jellystone? I'll put out the options in a poll. If I am the only one able to do these wknds, we'll swtich.

EDIT:

Only vote once for location and time please.

For those not from the greater Yellowstone region:
    The Island Park/West option allows the group to fish the Henry's fork and tribs, the Teton, YNP, the Madison about the lakes and below the lakes, numerous smaller streams and creeks, and possibly the South Fork.

The Paradise Valley/Livingston option would likely mean fishing the Yellowstone and tribs, the Spring Creeks, or possibly the NW part of YNP.

The Upper Madison option would likely leave us fishing the Upper Madison and tribs.

There is camping or rooms, (I assume we will be on the ground), available wherever. Bars could be within reach depending on where we set up shop. Fly shops will also be available. Last year we had some boat issues. All areas will have some type of wade and float options. If we don't have enough boats to fish everyone, we can alternate days in 'em. Please keep in mind we went back-and-forth for a couple pages last year arguing or boasting when the best fishing would/could be. Who the fuck cares. We will find fish and most importantly we will find a buzz wherever we end up. With all the water around here this year August and September should fish better than most years at all of the options.
    Last edited by schwerty; 06-29-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Sweet d00d!! Count me in for either date any location. Hope your neighbor's not knocked up again...

Last year's summit was a blast, great to meet some mags, fish three rivers in three days and I only broke two rods (neither mine, sorry meats & gretch)

I'm guessing the dates on the poll are the ones you mean (weekends) not the dates in your post (monday-wednesday)

Let's hope runoff's over by then heh

Either date should work for me, and since I will finally be moved to West Yellowstone by then, that was my obvious vote for location. And I may or may not be able to offer couch or floor space, but as of now I don't even have a place for me.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Fixed the dates. Sorry about that. Was looking at the July calendar.

Please pass the word to others! There seems to be a relatively light amount of Rockies traffic here this season and I know there are some other mags or friends of mags that would wanna attend.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Punch View Post
    Either date should work for me, and since I will finally be moved to West Yellowstone by then, that was my obvious vote for location. And I may or may not be able to offer couch or floor space, but as of now I don't even have a place for me.
    DP - You can ask Lexi-Bell...it ain't always good to pick the spot closest to home if your are married. Your Wife then has the ability to reel you in the morning after the first night......after countless beers, a disgusting amount of brown water, party favors and over consumption of cased meats...should something arise.

LB - Nobody I know is having a baby close to either date!

On another note I can bring 2 drift boats and a watermaster, (1 man), raft. I'd preferably have someone trail one of the drift boats but I can do 2 if we set up shop on a reasonable road.

EDIT: C'mon folks. I need some August love...better for the schedule since I just got Tix for the Missoula and SLC Furthur shows. Vote August!

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    DP - You can ask Lexi-Bell...it ain't always good to pick the spot closest to home if your are married. Your Wife then has the ability to reel you in the morning after the first night......after countless beers, a disgusting amount of brown water, party favors and over consumption of cased meats...should something arise.
    Believe it or not she would be the last one to try to rein me in, she never has and I doubt she ever will. Hell she will more then likely be the one who wants to stay "just a little longer", and she will definitely be coming along.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Schwerty - thanks for gettin' the ball rollin' on this.

I am good for any of the locations on any of the dates. If we go with the August dates, I might not be able to make it down until later in the evening on Friday due to some work stuff, so I'll be fishing only Sat. and Sun. Other than that, I'm definitely down.

August works for me, folks in town that weekend in Sept. Have to be in Big Sky that august weekend for Walkin' Jim's memorial, adding some fishing/rowing to that could work well...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Sounds like we outta just call it the August weekend. ??? I'm assuming LobstaMeatWad might wanna join in??? Wysplit seems interested and NipplehighPow might be down too. That'd be a decent size crew. LB or IG - One or both of you wanna give Lobsta a ring? Haven't seen his name pop up around here lately.

Gretch - you out there?

jeebus. Tues? Have to try and call in drunk errr sick or somthin.

^^^

Nope fri-sat-sun Aug 19-21 for the summit, I'm going fishing THIS COMING Tuesday. July 5.

You're invited to both, mang.
    Last edited by Lexi-Bell; 07-01-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Punch View Post
    Believe it or not she would be the last one to try to rein me in, she never has and I doubt she ever will. Hell she will more then likely be the one who wants to stay "just a little longer", and she will definitely be coming along.
    Word of warning: I'd prepare your Wife for a little heavier than normal use of foul language, tons of offensive jokes and true stories of shit women, (at least my Wife), wouldn't wanna hear and probably find offensive. Copious farts will be released and laughed about. Discussion of shitting will most likely arise too. Someone will prolly barf.

Otherwise it will likely be your typical camping/fishing weekend....a little fishing, lots of beer, tons of whiskey, heavy consumption of cased meats, chips, bacon, chili, fake cheese sauce, meat sticks & jerky, breakfast burritos and salami. More than likely no veggies other than what's sauteed or fried in butter will show their face.

If she is into that type of weekend and is not easily offended, she will fit in nicely! You might also want to give her a heads up...I have been known to go shirts off quite a bit and have a hairy chest and back, a decent size belly and according to my Wife...I have grown a set of man boobs that I'm working on getting rid of.

EDIT: Come to think about it. I seem to remember you saying that she knows what a Donkey Punch is and finds it humorous. ??? She will be fine.
    mostly
    Disclaimer: I am not in any way trying to discourage your Wife from joining us! Just reflecting on last year and other mostly fellas fishing weekends. I'm sure this group will show her respect.
    Last edited by schwerty; 07-03-2011 at 05:34 PM.

Tenatively in! Can bring once drift boat as well.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Sorry Schwerty...I was out of town...was back in PA introducing the girlfriend to the fam this last weekend....this would also explain why I have not fished since January, and have two broken rods in my garage at an apartment I have seen twice in the last two months!!

No worries Lex...I am shipping them to Scott this week! If you guys do it the weekend in August that you suggested, I am in. I will be in Steamboat that week for work, so that will shave sometime off my trip on the way there...plus I need to give Shwerty his book back! Fuck, I am sorry man...I will grab it when I go grab my rods tonight (I know there is joke in there somewhere).

I don't care where we go...last year was so much fun....what is the name of the River that Soda Butte creek flows into inside the park? Will we be close to that at all for a wade day/half day? Maybe an afternoon for some hopper action? That was the best fishing I had when I was out there last time and would not mind fishing it again for a couple hours.

I will keep an eye on this thread.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Sorry Schwerty...I was out of town...was back in PA introducing the girlfriend to the fam this last weekend....this would also explain why I have not fished since January, and have two broken rods in my garage at an apartment I have seen twice in the last two months!!

No worries Lex...I am shipping them to Scott this week! If you guys do it the weekend in August that you suggested, I am in. I will be in Steamboat that week for work, so that will shave sometime off my trip on the way there...plus I need to give Shwerty his book back! Fuck, I am sorry man...I will grab it when I go grab my rods tonight (I know there is joke in there somewhere).

I don't care where we go...last year was so much fun....what is the name of the River that Soda Butte creek flows into inside the park? Will we be close to that at all for a wade day/half day? Maybe an afternoon for some hopper action? That was the best fishing I had when I was out there last time and would not mind fishing it again for a couple hours.

I will keep an eye on this thread.
    i believe that is the Lamar you are referring to. Bit of a haul from West, but if you are set on buying a park tag, Fan Creek is not too far away. Haven't fished it in a decade or two, used to be ok...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Yeah...that was Lamar. I ended up fishing a lot in the park after we all parted ways....the Lamar was pretty awesome.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Yeah...that was Lamar. I ended up fishing a lot in the park after we all parted ways....the Lamar was pretty awesome.
    Sssshhhhh!! Dont tell anyone! The Lamar is my all time favorite fall hopper water ( I grew up about 20 miles from there and would hit that every chance I got, now that I am older and repsonsible (sort of) I dont get there as often. But man the hoppers in the fall is un-describable!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Heck yeah it is...big foam hoppers and 20"+ cutties slamming the surface all day long...probably one of my all time favorite spots I have fished.

I will limit my input to mentioning how the crowds really start to vanish by the later dates. The start of hunting season and the school year probably reduces the number of stream users by over half. The number of guided trips on the rivers drops to almost none by october. In september, one mostly encounters other "serious" anglers and there's usually plenty of available water for everyone, so I think the vibe really mellows after labor day. We've usually had a skeeter killing frost by mid-september which is also really nice if you are camping.

Yeah...I was there mid week, so I think I saw a total of 3 other fishermen and they all had left after I was there an hour....I must of just got really lucky. I only had to walk past one hole on all of the Lamar and Soda Butte and I fished from the morning through the evening.

I bet it gets PACKED during the weekends. It was funny too, everyone I walked past must of been novices or something, becuase they all asked me if a caught anything, and I was like "eh, I did all right, nothing big" and they all said they did not catch shit.

Truthfully, I went through probably 10 foam hoppers becuase they got so chewed up by the teeth on those big cutties. I did not even have a dropper or another fly because it was so good. So much fun watching the shadows come up from the deep holes...those fuckers would swim circles around the hopper, dive back down and then attack from the deep!!! Coolest thing I have ever seen on a river...if you moved that fly thinking they rejected it after they circled it...no go. Leave it float a little longer and BAM!!! In for a fight!

ND were you suggesting wait til October? I prefer oct fishing in the region just thought summer would be preferable for most. We can switch wknds or do another!

I would TOTALLY prefer October over any other month!

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    ND were you suggesting wait til October? I prefer oct fishing in the region just thought summer would be preferable for most. We can switch wknds or do another!
    No, just referencing the way the more popular locations see a big decline in usage during september opposed to the august dates. For example, there's probably 100 guys on the RR Ranch today but by late september there might be only 20, at most. If public campgrounds and ramp-to-ramp floats on well known rivers are in the plan, those sort of places do have a lot more pressure in august.

September would be sweet for sure...but I have to take my new toy out for a walk every weekend and two straight weeks from 9/3 to 9/18 that month:

Elk, Deer, and Bears....oh my!!