JR & co on the Mallory

... just in case you've not seen it yet.
    http://vimeo.com/channels/skiinghd#24750626

Kind of gripping to watch, especially with the oppressive music. Looks like the guide may have skied some pitches the talent rappelled, no?

The mallory: ground zero for the worst skiing in Chamonix.

just knew from luca pandolfi that mallory was skied by at least 17 people that day (seth and JP included) despite shitty snow and very high risk...

very impressive report from luca pandolfi about that day:
    http://www.lucapandolfi.com/2011/05/...ry-16-05-2011/

The kick turns over that much exposure were giving me the cold shivers.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    very impressive report from luca pandolfi about that day:
    http://www.lucapandolfi.com/2011/05/...ry-16-05-2011/

Wow, multiple parties skiing at the same time, releasing multiple decent sized slabs, lots of new snow, sounds like little communication between parties, not to mention the tons of exposure. Sounds like a fucking shit show of epic proportions.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Wow, multiple parties skiing at the same time, releasing multiple decent sized slabs, lots of new snow, sounds like little communication between parties, not to mention the tons of exposure. Sounds like a fucking shit show of epic proportions.
    Uhm, some of the best skiers/boarders of the current generation were there on that day.

Pucker inducing fun!! 23:20 on IS MONEY.

What music is that? Varese?
    Last edited by DasBlunt; 06-29-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

thank you for sharing that! most of us will never "enjoy" that experience!

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Pucker inducing fun!! 23:20 on IS MONEY.

What music is that? Varese?
    Very nice try, glad that someone knows varese..however it's sonic youth

Uhm, some of the best skiers/boarders of the current generation were there on that day.
    What does that change?

Luca Pandolfi's report was refreshingly honest and detailed. He even said it was only the rope that saved him from being swept away by someone else's sluff.
    Life is not lift served.

I'm with Leroy and Hohes. Bold line, but sounds like Luca had a pretty close call due to the other parties involved and none of best skiers in the world are better than a mountain, not even Seth. All's well that ends well I suppose.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

That looked like a whole lot of unfun turns, with some fun ones after 23 minutes. Bold line for sure.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by thehaze View Post
    Very nice try, glad that someone knows varese..however it's sonic youth

DAMN....Love Sonic Youth too, I guessed before I listened all the way through, and figured it was not Varese. I have performed many pieces of Varese. The opening is similar. Do you know Xenakis? I have a claim to fame with Xenakis and Sonic Youth which is cool story.

I also saw them live in San Diego.

edit,

THAT POW WAS DEEEEEEP AT THE "BOTTOM"!!! Worth it I imagine, with such stable conditions relatively speaking for the size of the lines.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    I'm with Leroy and Hohes. Bold line, but sounds like Luca had a pretty close call due to the other parties involved and none of best skiers in the world are better than a mountain, not even Seth. All's well that ends well I suppose.
    sure, actually Luca had two pretty close calls in a few minutes, and was saved one time by a rope and the second time by tomahawking...
    what I'm not 100% with you guys is the definition of "shit show of epic proportions". Let me explain: I'm sure Bonatti has been involved many times in what leroy would have defined as "megashit shows", but hey, I'm still with Steve House when he writes "bonatti is god"... just my 2c

sure, actually Luca had two pretty close calls in a few minutes, and was saved one time by a rope and the second time by tomahawking...
    what I'm not 100% with you guys is the definition of "shit show of epic proportions". Let me explain: I'm sure Bonatti has been involved many times in what leroy would have defined as "megashit shows", but hey, I'm still with Steve House when he writes "bonatti is god"... just my 2c

Yea, (ski) mountaineers that get referred to as gods are usually very talented determined individuals that are very good at what they do, but they also often end up dead long before their time, your example is still alive, but still, plenty have died, especially around Cham, that place is a graveyard.

I get that all the skiers there were talented, and I get that they all wanted that line on that day and decided to go for it, but talented mountain athletes have a tendency to fall into hubristic traps and get themselves killed doing shit that seems like common sense to walk away from unless you were there and wanted it that bad in that moment.

Also, wasnt bonatti just a climber, not a skier right? Think he would have climbed that line if he knew 17 people were skiing down on top of him? I really dont know much, but wasnt the guy known for doing technical first ascents, meaning by definition he didnt have to deal with a shitshow of other people on his most demanding climbs? If he had been involved in shitshows of this magnitude, then the only reason he didnt die is luck. Would he still be a god if he had all the same talent and determination, but had been slightly less lucky and died in his youth before accomplishing what he did? Not to me.

Bottom line, snow that can slough/slab avalanche on a steep line with high exposure, and multiple people are skiing on top of each other with little communication. I'm sure thats commonplace in Cham, but thats why people die there every year. Isnt that part of the culture and everything in that neck of the woods? In my mind, that is a situation I wouldnt even think about entering. I knew that before I even took an AVY 1 class, and it was reinforced there. I break the 'rules' of avalanche safety from time to time and have played mini golf on small lines where I knew I could outrun slides that I was confident would happen, and I've even been called out on it on threads here, I've even stood on a cornice and jumped up and down waiting for it to break because I was confident I could separate myself from it in the air and be out of its way in a safe zone by the time it hit the ground (plan worked perfectly) but the situation described here is a shitshow of EPIC proportions. I dont care how good you are, a slab or even a small slough coming down from someone above you who isnt in communication with you at all can kill just about anyone.

By the way, I had a buddy who met Seth when he was a teenager (my buddy, not seth) and like a teenager said, OMG youre seth, youre one of the best skiers on the planet. Seth replied, "ONE of?" implying he was THE best skier. I think he was being a little facetious, but thought it'd be worth a laugh.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Yea, (ski) mountaineers that get referred to as gods are usually very talented determined individuals that are very good at what they do, but they also often end up dead long before their time, your example is still alive, but still, plenty have died, especially around Cham, that place is a graveyard.

I get that all the skiers there were talented, and I get that they all wanted that line on that day and decided to go for it, but talented mountain athletes have a tendency to fall into hubristic traps and get themselves killed doing shit that seems like common sense to walk away from unless you were there and wanted it that bad in that moment.

Also, wasnt bonatti just a climber, not a skier right? Think he would have climbed that line if he knew 17 people were skiing down on top of him? I really dont know much, but wasnt the guy known for doing technical first ascents, meaning by definition he didnt have to deal with a shitshow of other people on his most demanding climbs? If he had been involved in shitshows of this magnitude, then the only reason he didnt die is luck. Would he still be a god if he had all the same talent and determination, but had been slightly less lucky and died in his youth before accomplishing what he did? Not to me.

Bottom line, snow that can slough/slab avalanche on a steep line with high exposure, and multiple people are skiing on top of each other with little communication. I'm sure thats commonplace in Cham, but thats why people die there every year. Isnt that part of the culture and everything in that neck of the woods? In my mind, that is a situation I wouldnt even think about entering. I knew that before I even took an AVY 1 class, and it was reinforced there. I break the 'rules' of avalanche safety from time to time and have played mini golf on small lines where I knew I could outrun slides that I was confident would happen, and I've even been called out on it on threads here, I've even stood on a cornice and jumped up and down waiting for it to break because I was confident I could separate myself from it in the air and be out of its way in a safe zone by the time it hit the ground (plan worked perfectly) but the situation described here is a shitshow of EPIC proportions. I dont care how good you are, a slab or even a small slough coming down from someone above you who isnt in communication with you at all can kill just about anyone. ...
    after all, I believe you're right. Only epic skiers (and I'm certainly not one of those) can generate epic lines and/or epic shitshows.

You're right about bonatti being famous mostly for his solo stuff, but he has been also involved in sorta similar collective shitstorm... and the mt blanc is a certified magnet for shitstorm.

Said that, the most dangerous line I've skied in my life was one in iceland a few meters from a polar bear who had no food for the previous 15 or so days while swimming from greenland. But hey I did not know the polar bear was there :-)

DAMN....Love Sonic Youth too, I guessed before I listened all the way through, and figured it was not Varese. I have performed many pieces of Varese. The opening is similar. Do you know Xenakis? I have a claim to fame with Xenakis and Sonic Youth which is cool story.
    Drum nerds off-topic

It's true that can remind some varese's composition, but that's too much straight to be by edgar And yes i know also Xenakis, rebonds it's dope!
    However i'm curious to know that story about xenakis and sonic youth
    Ah...my most sincere congratulations about your music skills if you performed some pieces of Varese!

End of drum nerds off topic

Yea, (ski) mountaineers that get referred to as gods are usually very talented determined individuals that are very good at what they do.

that neck of the woods? In my mind, that is a situation I wouldnt even think about entering.
    OK Leroy, we get it, you would not do it (nor would I). And by the way, I did not see any slabs in that video, only lots of thick, rich, creamy pow, sluffs (with scary ass exposure).
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by thehaze View Post
    Drum nerds off-topic

It's true that can remind some varese's composition, but that's too much straight to be by edgar And yes i know also Xenakis, rebonds it's dope!
    However i'm curious to know that story about xenakis and sonic youth
    Ah...my most sincere congratulations about your music skills if you performed some pieces of Varese!

End of drum nerds off topic
    Perfomed on this album of Xenakis, and 2 more on this label http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/053xenakis.html

The one below is Kraanerg "live" and most of the band of Sonic Youth were in attendance and backstage I was very pleased and surprised to meet them.

http://asphodel.com/releases/view.php?Id=78

I have played a few Varese pieces. As I am not a percussionist, but I was lucky enough to play guiro on his piece, Ionization.
    I have played Amériques
    I also played Octandre.
    Terje was right.

Perfomed on this album of Xenakis, and 2 more on this label http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/053xenakis.html

The one below is Kraanerg "live" and most of the band of Sonic Youth were in attendance and backstage I was very pleased and surprised to meet them.

http://asphodel.com/releases/view.php?Id=78

I have played a few Varese pieces. As I am not a percussionist, but I was lucky enough to play guiro on his piece, Ionization.
    I have played Amériques
    I also played Octandre.
    Damn, you can be proud of yourself, even if you aren't a percussionist!

Did you notice the long poles that bruno was using, and gripping them 6 inches below the end?
    Any idea of their purpose?