Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs up Downieville Riding / getting some hours in the legs

Headed to Dville on Friday evening in time for the climb up 2nd and then down third divide, awesome. No time to get up to the snowline for a snow report but 3rd on down is buffed.

Saturday morning hook up with Woodsskier and head downriver on North Yuba from town, get to Goodyear bar, ride down 49 a mile or two, just past Ramshorn campground, head up Halls Ranch - 2 miles of granny switchbacks have us dreaming of the cooler that's' still a few hours out (then we run into a single speeder at the top, impressive). Ahh ..the good part - Fiddler's ridge down river to Indian Valley camp ground - rippin ride,in great condition, well worth the climb. Then the kicker that boosts an already strong thirst for beer. North yuba back to town, a few people out on it ~ 10. Lower trails are in great condition, great time to be in Downieville, get some early season miles in and check out the other rides in town.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Nice dude. I need to get out there soon. Bummed that I won't race this year.

(My own local beta: the lower section of Tyrolean is open with only a few snow patch crossings, which will be gone by the weekend.)

Is there a general snow level census?
    I'm going to be down there next week and would like to get a day in. Somehow. And Ashland : )

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Is there a general snow level census?
    I'm going to be down there next week and would like to get a day in. Somehow. And Ashland : )
    Right now, depending on the aspect, the snow level around Tahoe seems to be around 7500'-8000'. I'm guessing/hoping that it'll move up 500' every week or so. Still, these recent photos from Downieville are a little worrying: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbts/se...7627023552640/

Nice JB, sorry I missed it. Good to see you're getting those those legs back in shape.
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

I rode North Yuba from the campground to Goodyear's Bar a few years ago before the extension to Downieville and rather enjoyed it. Pretty steep rollers IIRC. Still want to go back and climb Halls to Fiddler. On my way from Goodyear's Bar back to 49 I rode within a couple feet of a rattlesnake and he/she let me know it, a little discomforting. Planning to head up there later in July for a shuttle weekend. Downieville, Good Times...

Downieville is going to be an interesting race this year. No Sunrise Trail this year. And no Pauley Creek either. After climbing to Packer Saddle from Sierra City, the XC race will head down Butcher.

Check out www.sierratrails.org or www.yubaexpeditions.com or www.downievilleoutfitters.com for an update on the latest conditions up there.

This is Butcher Ranch right now, and this is what they are doing to get it into shape for the race that is in two weeks
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

rad shot knowing how far from a driveway or pavement that is
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Yeah, riding D Ville just went down on the priority scale for my trip in two weeks.
    Maybe Ashland/Oakridge on the way down and Blackrock on the way back up. That will break up the drive nicely : )

I think that guy is gonna need to replace a shear pin or two.

Yeah, snow level in south lake area as per AKbruin. but the snow is dense and there is alot of it still.

I guess they even had to dig out some of the lower whistler trails this year in order to open.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Yeah, riding D Ville just went down on the priority scale for my trip in two weeks.
    Maybe Ashland/Oakridge on the way down and Blackrock on the way back up. That will break up the drive nicely : )
    How about Paradise Royale on the coast? Definintely a bit out of your way though.
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    How about Paradise Royale on the coast?
    Does that trail live up to the ideal behind it?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Does that trail live up to the ideal behind it?
    I actually haven't ridden it myself yet...but a good friend has and he said it's a really good time. However, he also said once their plans for lengthening it are finished (I have no idea what these plans are) it will truly be an epic destination style ride.

Back to Downieville: Lots of pics of huge efforts to clear snow in time for the races in here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=718957
    One Gear, Two Planks

Back to Downieville: Lots of pics of huge efforts to clear snow in time for the races in here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=718957

I gotta say, I found those pics and the description of the work going on thoroughly depressing. snowblowing through the woods in an effort to have a bike race?

i understand the reasons for not postponing, but I would still vote to postpone it...

shoe, are you racing this year? second thoughts after looking at those pics?
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."

^I agree. Unless the permit only allows the race on those 2 particular days, I don't quite get what they are doing. If I was king of the world, I'd push that puppy back to September, spend no money on snow removal, have ample time to repair trails, enjoy racers coming up to practice (and spend $ in town) the rest of summer, and then hold the race without any distance modifications. Seems to me the whole town and bike shop would benefit far more if it were held later in the year... but what do I know?

Yeah some schedules get messed up, but this wouldn't be the first race rescheduled this year. You lose some people but I think you can gain far more from an economic standpoint if it's held later. This holds true for any recent year... but even more so this year due to the snow issue and the cost of removing it.

It'll still be fun for racers, with very slushy, wet, muddy conditions up top, but I guess I prefer keeping the track the same length as the past few years.

I wonder if the River Jump will happen?

Imagine how cold that river will be?!?!

I haven't been going to downieville much past 2-3 years. I have heard it is a 'dying town'. No more steak restaraunt, no more burritos for lunch and everything that sells food or drink closes early evening.

In talking to a rep for one of the bigger mountain bike equipment companies he said the feeling in the industry is that the town is not particularly supportive of mountain biking.

Not sure if that has something to do with it, maybe?

Agree 100% with 3MWOLB.

lph - The steak restaurant, Grubsteak, closed down due to health issues with the owner...I think. But last year, across the street from it, a new Mexican joint opened up that is the same owners of the old burrito place that used to be next to the old Yuba shop location. It's pretty dang good and in the back there is outdoor seating...perfect spot to enjoy a beer/burrrito after a big ride. The pizza shop is still in town as is the Deli/General Store (which I think the owners were attempting to sell last year). There seems to be a big push to make Graegle more of a mountain biking town these days (the trails in and around Graegle are much more tech by the way....you would like!)

oh and yep, I am signed up for the XC race again this year in single speed division. I got 8th last year...should have had 6th, but I lost two spots due to a dumb crash on 1st Divide. I'd like to try and get top 5 this year (in single speed that is). Kinda bummed that with the course changes, you won't be able to compare your times across past year's races, but it will still be an epic challenge/race withe conditions. The climb will be brutal and as huge of a test as always, the slush/wet/whatever it ends up being conditions on upper Butcher will definitely add a certain extra element of "toughness" to the race, and the lower trails (3rd) should be in amazing ripping shape due to the little amount of traffic it's probably seeing this year as compared to past years.

I think I'm going to head up on Saturday. Will ride from town up the fireroad to 2nd Divide, then up 2nd to the intersection 3rd, ride backwards (downhill) to the bridge and then climb up Butcher as far as it goes until snowline (or maybe just turn around at the bridge...I want to see how many water is flowing under it!), descend 3rd Divide & 1st Divide back to town.
    One Gear, Two Planks

It'd be cool if a few more restaurants stayed open later, tough to say if the economics don't warrant extended hours or if it is just the way business owners want to run their business in a small town. But, hell I can barely find a place to eat after 9 here in Folsom.

LPH, I think the owner of the steakhouse you're talking about was sick last summer so it was a one season closure...or was that two years ago? Hopefully, they will be back in action this year because they did stay open later than anyone else and had pretty good food for d'ville.

No idea why they don't postpone the race, seems to make economic sense. Probly some sort of permit BS I'd imagine but I really have no idea. That said it'll be a rad event I think. It's a shame to substitute fire road for sunrise but other than that it'll be a raging water fall section and a few sloppy muddy spots that will seperate the men from the boys..the rest of the course will be $$$$. You can't compare your times from past years but I bet it's still be the best XC race around. I'd definitely be there if I didn't have a wedding to be at.

As for lack of town support, if most of the hotels in town are offering free lodging to maintenance crews and the county is kicking down $10G so they can hold the race on the posted date I think that speaks volumes for the towns support of mtn biking. Curious as to what that rep is referring to.

Edit: TS is this the 2nd time this week you posted exactly what I was about to say just before I did?
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by madturtle View Post
    Edit: TS is this the 2nd time this week you posted exactly what I was about to say just before I did?
    Probably. If you want to know what your future holds for the next few days, just give me a call and I'll fill you in.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I gotta say, I found those pics and the description of the work going on thoroughly depressing. snowblowing through the woods in an effort to have a bike race?

i understand the reasons for not postponing, but I would still vote to postpone it...

shoe, are you racing this year? second thoughts after looking at those pics?
    They snow blew some trails above the nordic center by Tahoe City, to hold some silly race a couple of weeks ago. Rode those trails shortly after that and it was still painful to ride and it made a nice gully for the run off to follow. Probably is going to cause more trail work then normal to be done.

I was running into snow at around 6600 ft, in the shady areas last week and lower then that in the North facing aspects. People are guessing mid July for riding the Tahoe Rim without having to hike a bike. Can't get very damned high that is for sure. Water is running everywhere and lots of it.

"But, hell I can barely find a place to eat after 9 here in Folsom."

It's hard to find a place to eat in most biking towns when you routinely get out of the woods 2 hours after dark

Snow is melting pretty quick now but there's still a lot of it to go up high, I'd buy mid July for most of the rim and last week, maybe, for others (Stanford rock, Heavenly - Freel meadow), the drifts on the North East aspect are still damn big.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    "But, hell I can barely find a place to eat after 9 here in Folsom."

It's hard to find a place to eat in most biking towns when you routinely get out of the woods 2 hours after dark

Snow is melting pretty quick now but there's still a lot of it to go up high, I'd buy mid July for most of the rim and last week, maybe, for others (Stanford rock, Heavenly - Freel meadow), the drifts on the North East aspect are still damn big.
    Yeah, I would guess Stanford Rock by the last of July. I ran into big piles of the white stuff again today, got higher then last time, but still lots of snow. No way to get above 7000', 6800 is about the limit over here. I'm hearing that Marlette Lake is impassable. On the bright side, the trails where there isn't snow or a stream running are in amazing shape.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Probably. If you want to know what your future holds for the next few days, just give me a call and I'll fill you in.
    well NostraTYmus... what am I doing tomorrow?

The Village Ski Loft has some nice local North Shore beta: http://www.villageskiloft.com/Summer/trailreport.htm

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    well NostraTYmus... what am I doing tomorrow?
    Family Magazine autograph session at Border's.
    One Gear, Two Planks