Thread: WTB 29er frame.

WTB 29er frame.

So...the right side of the top weld between my seat post tube and rear triangle has a crack about 4cm long. It looks like the warranty process on my frame with be a pain in the ass.

I am told that I have to ship my complete, assembled bike to a retailer for inspection. If they decide it is a manufacturer defect, they will switch out all the components and I pay return shipping as well. This sounds pretty expensive for a warranty to me plus it will take a long time and my riding season is too short to lose a bike for that long. If they decide that it not a manufacturer defect I pay return shipping and no new frame unless I buy another at discount. But why would I want to re-buy a frame from them if they make warranties such a PITA?

So I need a new frame. Large to XL-ish. Prefer hardtail. Running geared. Prefer steel over aluminum. Cheap for the wallet is very important. I am a very underemployed product of corporate layoffs that needs a bike to retain sanity.

Any good deals?

As good measure...
    Am I wrong? Is this crack ok to keep riding?

Maybe try to get one in decent focus? no flash

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    Maybe try to get one in decent focus? no flash
    Out of 15 pictures this is the best I can get. Hairline cracks are hard to photograph on a black frame.

What kind of frame is that? I am of the impression that a quality weld should be smooth. I am not a welder, but wonder if the frame is worth replacing. Don't know about riding with the crack.

Quote Originally Posted by pollydog View Post
    What kind of frame is that? I am of the impression that a quality weld should be smooth. I am not a welder, but wonder if the frame is worth replacing. Don't know about riding with the crack.
    It is a cheap chinese aluminum frame (windsor) that replaced the frame I broke before that. I probably won't ride with the crack. Most of our trails are fast and rocky so a frame failure would be very undesirable.

I was hoping warranty would be easy enough, but after all the shipping cost bullshit I will be able to buy another cheap frame and have all my components transfered over (quality stuff - X9, raceface, ect) in a day. As opposed to waiting for the warranty process to finish. I'll still try to warranty the frame but just sell it when I get it.

I am open to 26ers as well, but would need more stuff to build it (wheels, fork). If I am lucky maybe I'll find a nice old stumpy or gary fisher on CL for under $200 to hold me over the summer.

She's a goner

If it's gotta be cheap it probably won't be steel, certainly not good steel anyway.

This is painful but - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-Tw...-Bike/16671301 $200 complete.

Thanks gravitylover, but I think I'll use duct tape before I use the walmart bike.

I said it hurt to even mention it You said cheap and that's what came to mind. Sorry...

One of the guys at my shop just picked up from Ebay a KHS Solo One 29er frame and then got some dropouts so he can run it geared. I think he had about $300 into the deal. It seems to be working for him, he just came in 3rd in his first ever mt bike race last weekend.

My buddy's FB post...I'll put you in touch if yer interested.

Selling a Specialized Stumpjumper 29er frame size 17, should fit someone 5'5" to 5'10". The frame is a 2008 and can be run as either a geared or single speed. The frame has typical scuffs and signs of chain suck, but not dents or cracks.

Selling for $350 includese seat collar and an Easton EA70 seatpost.

Will include a silver Chris... King headset for $50.

I think anyone can view the pic at
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=1&theater
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

Thanks for the responses guys. The stumpy would be nice, but I need at least a 21in frame.

So my plan is this: Last night I picked up an old stumpjumper in nice condition for a very low price. Its only a 26er and about 15 years old, but a solid bike. I was up late and completely stripped, cleaned, lubed, and changed out some parts. Its old school but fun, I had many miles on my old one before it fell off a car. It will last me for as long as I need. Plus it will be a good loaner bike.

I'm going to take my time and find a nice FS frame over the summer and build the niner back up.

I will fight to warranty my frame and fight dirty if I must. They will only be getting the frame from me when I ship it, no way will they be getting the complete bike (I have some of the parts on the stumpy already).

Once I get the frame back I'll sell it cheap here or on CL/Ebay to help someone else get started on a niner. All in all I loved the frame until it broke, but I'm a bike whore and am always looking to upgrade.