Chris Canfield Fund

In case anyone has not heard, the Canfield brothers have had a very hard week. Lance broke his leg last weekend and just had surgery this week. While riding near Jackson, Chris had a bad wreck and broke his C5 /C6 vertebrae and is in surgery now (although I hear he may be being airlifted to SLC). Prognosis is good at this time.

A donation fund has been set up in Chris's name, please see the attached web site if you would like to donate. These are two of the most dedicated mountain bikers of our time and this is as hard a time as a fellow rider can experience. Heal up well boys.

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/the-chris-canfield-fund
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Vibes and some paypal sent...
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Heard about Chris today, such a bum deal! Hope the prognosis is OK on the spine, scary stuff.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

A related over the top Canfield Bros customer service story.

Chris was supposed to call me yesterday morning to meet up and sell me a shock. Despite being in a hospital bed with a fractured neck, he remembered to have someone call me and meet me to get me the shock (thanks again.)

Good luck Chris (and Lance.) PP sent.

DRS
    Last edited by drsmonkey; 06-25-2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: grammar
    "Always remember to be yourself. Unless you suck" Joss Whedon

Just sent them some funds, and BUMP.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Bump for a really good dude who can use some help right now.

I heard on the intertubez at MTBR this mornin that he is walking. Awesome news.
    Keep it unclipped

Very scary. Hope he comes out of this in good shape.

Side question but how much does it you guys south of the border for decent insurance that covers your skiing and ridding?

I have no clue.

With a ridiculous deductible, my wife and I are paying close to 600 per month, plus contributing to a health savings account which our monthly health insurance costs are more than our mortgage.

Vibes to the brothers...
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

$600 each? Or for both?

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Very scary. Hope he comes out of this in good shape.

Side question but how much does it you guys south of the border for decent insurance that covers your skiing and ridding?

I have no clue.
    It's tough man. I work in health insurance. If you are footing the premium bill without an employer sponsored plan, it's spendy and the coverage isn't that great. Like SuperChief said, $600/month and I bet if he had an injury like Chris, SuperChief would be spending another $3,000-10,000 out of pocket. It's scary. I just wrote a policy for a 36 year old female for $731/month and that was the best deal anyone could find. Sad state of affairs...

Off topic(ish), but when we were looking at private coverage, the best we found was about $3500/month for my wife due to her having had cancer. I had to pass up a pretty cool consulting opportunity because of big gay insurance.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

$600 each? Or for both?
    We supposedly have "good" insurance (at least that's what our HR department likes to say), and I pay over $300/month for both of us - my company pays half, so it's about $600something for both. Which would sound good except last time Mr. AG needed 3 stitches in his hand, it cost over $1200 out of pocket. 3 stitches. And they were the most jacked up stitches I've ever seen...
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl View Post
    We supposedly have "good" insurance (at least that's what our HR department likes to say), and I pay over $300/month for both of us - my company pays half, so it's about $600something for both. Which would sound good except last time Mr. AG needed 3 stitches in his hand, it cost over $1200 out of pocket. 3 stitches. And they were the most jacked up stitches I've ever seen...
    More off-topic ... I had a dislocated finger last year. Some x-rays, come novacaine and nearly $1000 for it. F that and F inurance. Scumbags.

You guys went to the ER huh? There are ways to fight those claims. Give me a shout and we can take this outside Chris's thread.

Vibes to Chris and Lance.

Sorry to side track this on insurance, being from Canada it's all foreign to me. Just wanted to get an idea on how much it costs to be covered.

We are probably doing about as well as you can do in the individual market and paying a combined $410/month for three separate policies to cover our family of three. The kid and I have pretty reasonable deductibles but altachic's is $2k (i.e. almost nothing is covered until you have spent $2k out-of-pocket that year). To sweeten the deal, they bump each rate ~20% every year no matter what, non-negotiable. If you happen to hit a 5-year birthday that year (i.e. 25, 30, 35, etc), add another 20% on top of that. I try not to think about what our premium total will be when we have another kid and have both hit 35.

America, fuck yeah!

600.00 for both us, The only redeeming thing is we can contribute to a health savings plan, which helps our tax liability since the Mrs is self employed. The bad, as soon as one of us takes a position that provides healthcare we have to spend the money. I sure wish we could put extra $$ to use like an IRA or whatnot so when something major like cancer a broken back or worse hits we won't be bankrupted trying to fight the insurance company to honor the coverage we have been paying for.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Conundrum - I'd love to chat and am hoping to get input on every angle to help make this as manageable for Lance and Chris as possible.

BTW - Chris was released (yes, released!) Monday, and is recovering at his mom's house. It's going to be a long road, but it is great to see him alive and walking around (in between naps). We're hoping to move him to Victor in a couple of weeks for the summer to be here with Lance and myself.

Aside from all of the medical bills, travel (getting Lance to SLC and back to be with Chris) and other expenses associated with keeping things moving forward continue to grow as well. It is an understatement to say that all of the help is greatly appreciated.

Lance and Chris are totally blown away by all of the support they have received. It is so amazing to see the love, vibes and donations coming in.

Thank you!!!!!!!