Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wetsuits

Hugh Conway Guest
    I've a couple ripcurls. Not great durability but they were both cheap. like in condoms, thinner is better, a 3/2 is fine for sunny days it seems. a neck yoke + coverage of the back zipper means little flush out from the zipper. For the $ was never really impressed with hotlines

I have used wet suits for kayaking & windsurfing but never actualy surfed , at some point I asked why instead of being in the front like a farmer john some suits have the zip in the back and that is what I was told

My 3/2 Fbomb wouldn't cut the mustard but my buddy swears by his custom Axe wetsuit. He said he sweats balls in it, literally

Then again, it wouldn't be a $100 backup suit so my post is pretty irrelevant.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggity POW View Post
    My 3/2 Fbomb wouldn't cut the mustard
    what didn't ya like?

my main bitch is the batwing to back connection sucks and pulls out after 100+ days. other niggling problems, but it was <$100. the patagucci suits look really nice but even at the outlet prices are absurdly expensive for an off the rack suit.

I said that wrong, the 3/2 part wouldn't cut the mustard for up north but the Fbomb is a flexible warm suit considering. How did you score one for <$100??

Ok, just got back in from a surf. It refreshed my memories of why I was surfing in my fairly new Fbomb that was replaced by the company.

My zipper locked me into my previous Fbomb and I had to have my wife cut me out of it. No joke. I and sever other people all tried to unzip it and the zipper wouldn't budge. Drove home in my wetsuit. Scissors to Fbomb's zipper = my freedom that night. I had my wife cut the actual zipper part and not the neoprene thinking that Rip Curl would just replace the zipper. Instead they replaced it with a warm cozy new Fbomb that hopefully won't lock me in this time.

Anyone have a recommendation when between sizes. I'm right between a LT or an XL in most of the company size ranges. 6'2" 195 lb, 35 waist, 42 chest.

Is it better to be on the tight end of chest waist with LT or tight end of height with and XL?
    Ripcurl is the only brand where I'm an XL dead on but I don't see many good deals on them whereas this is on craigs right now. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/spo/2462816356.html

I prefer to be on tight end of waist/chest. With your stats you should try a LT O'neill
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

^^^ I agree. Tight across body is the way to go. I'd go to a shop and try on the Xcel today if you can. The Infiniti is a nice suit.

Santa Cruz Surf Shop outlet on Mission has some Ripcurl at decent prices. A bit more than $200/ no tax, but still decent.

I've been noticing a huge difference in water temperatures around here. Eastside is toasty and a 3/2 is really all that is needed. On sunny days with no wind, a shorty could even be used. Up the coast a bit, a hooded chest zip 4/3 and new boots had me wishing I had put on gloves yesterday morning. Even once I got moving it was still chilly.

Maybe I should get a 3/2, even if i'll only use it 20 days a year. I guess that is my next question - is it worth having a suit you only put on 20 days a year, or will the rubber deteriorate before the seams wear through?

I have a 3/2 cheapie O'Neill that I've had for four years. I only use it south of SB, and in OBX. I just upgraded to a Matuse 3/2 for a little more flexibility, but owning a 3/2 has always come in handy. Haven't seen any breakdown on the O'Neill over four years. I probably surf in this suit 15-20 days a year.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Is it better to be on the tight end of chest waist with LT or tight end of height with and XL?
    Not sure if they offer this in XL but I usually get a 'Large Short' (LS). 5'10" x 215lbs, I'm inbetween sizes and getting the LS definitely helps.

or will the rubber deteriorate before the seams wear through?
    Some of the new wetsuit technologies tend to be pretty sensitive and break down easier. It will do best if you constantly wash it with fresh water and then put it on a hanger. Do not hang it from your zipper string for an extended period of time if possible.

I'm guilty of this but this last year I realized my Fbomb had basically wilted once I took it out of the rotation. Hard to explain but basically it became brittle and was all deformed from being hung up day after day by the zipper string. It was fine when it was wet every day but after being out of the rotation for a month or two it was toast.

Hugh Conway Guest
    The mission st outlet or the 41st outlet (both owned by rip curl) occasionally have things cheaper. Dunno if it's intentional or a fuckup by the fares workin

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

I've been noticing a huge difference in water temperatures around here. Eastside is toasty and a 3/2 is really all that is needed. On sunny days with no wind, a shorty could even be used. Up the coast a bit, a hooded chest zip 4/3 and new boots had me wishing I had put on gloves yesterday morning. Even once I got moving it was still chilly.
    Yuuuup! I've had summer days where I've trunked it with a vest at PP, and was FREEZING and damn near hypothermic in my 4/3 w/ booties at HMB jetty on the drive home.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

The Jetty is always a lot colder than anywhere else, Same with Ano Nuevo.

You can see and try on the most wetsuits in one place at Wise in the city.

And Mollusk? Good for T shirts, boards that don't work, and forced cool.

^^Yeah, Andreini and Mabile are complete fucking douchetards. No goddamn clue about how to shape a board. Wise stocks Xcell, rip curl and o'neill. Hip hip hoorah for the mass production suit. I'm not saying the boards they sell are easy to surf, but if you get a good one, goddamn.

and Billabong and Body Glove.

My point is, that in terms of wetsuits, fit is most important for warmth and performance. You have a place that stocks about 3 models PER manufacturer, in FULL size runs. They used to carry Hotline, but after years of QC and Warranty issues, that ended. (I wore only Hotline from about '83-'90)

I am not saying you have to buy from there, but for selection and figuring out what works for you body type, as well as comparing features, they can't really be beat.

And Mollusk? Show me the board you would ride when it is prime Ocean Beach, 6-8 foot faces with offshore wind- I didn't see anything on their website, just pretty retro things.

Well, they have guns in there all the way to 10'. Noe just dropped some boards off that would go well at 6-8', and I have an Andreini Leenough 6' quad that I would take out in that. the Andreini has become my daily driver. Don't get me wrong, I don't wear skinny jeans, ride a 12" skateboard and roll my own cigs, all while planning how to manage my trust fund. I'm just saying that some of those retro boards are a little more versatile than they look.

If you can afford it....get a custom Axxe wetsuit. Unbelievable warmth and flexibility. I also like Matuse wetsuits (if they fit your body type). Third choice would be a pataguchi. Not that flexible, but warm and pretty durable (plus a great warranty if you have any issues).

Bump... Does anyone have experience with an Xcel 6/5 hooded infiniti suit? Since I'm cheap, I'm thinking about getting a winter suit now while they are on sale. I have a 4/3 drylock for fall/spring but could use something thicker for the dead of winter (for Jan - April in the northeast). My old Hotline 6/5/4/ was too stiff and restrictive so I'm trying to find something that has the warmth but not the problems. Any feedback on this or the 5/4 drylock would be appreciated.

Heh. Funny to look back on old posts. I have a drylock in 5/4. It's not flashy, nor is it super flexible, but damn it gets the job done. Pretty durable, too. I'm at about 100 days in mine, and no problems at all. I don't know how soon you need one, but wise usually has a huge sale on these within the next few months.

PM rog. He surf year round in Maine. I imagine he has an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    PM rog. He surf year round in Maine. I imagine he has an opinion.
    Pretty sure rog is an Xcel guy. Whiskeymilitia.com has had good %50 off deals lately on the Xcels including a 6/5 infinity w/ hood (of course)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Whiskey has up the 6/5 x-zip right now. Its bort ass nice a the infinity or hydrolock but still a good winter suit

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by hooked View Post
    Bump... Does anyone have experience with an Xcel 6/5 hooded infiniti suit? Since I'm cheap, I'm thinking about getting a winter suit now while they are on sale. I have a 4/3 drylock for fall/spring but could use something thicker for the dead of winter (for Jan - April in the northeast). My old Hotline 6/5/4/ was too stiff and restrictive so I'm trying to find something that has the warmth but not the problems. Any feedback on this or the 5/4 drylock would be appreciated.

i keep going back to the infinity 6/5/4. i've tried a bunch of other stuff, and this suit is just the best for my conditions here on vancouver island (winter). i replace them every winter season.

last winter, i went with the drylock 5/4, and it's not near as warm. better flexibility etc, but i can't stay out as long, so what's the point? it's a decent winter suit for beach break, with lots of paddling, but if you're sitting at a point break, with long interval waits, it just doesn't compare to the infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Mine is coming apart at multiple seams after about 100 surfs. I wouldn't recommend.
    funny my brothers is doing the same thing...... he has been in the water maybe 2 dozen times and the seams are starting to go...I have a front zip 3/2 hyperflex and have had no probs with it...maybe 6o to 70 sessions and no sign of wearing... my brother is a big boy at 225 and triple x but still no excuse.....I like the hyperflex and the cost..BUT it is on the cheaper side....just be prepared if it goes to shit to purchase something else......
    always forward but never straight