Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bikes and parts that stand the test of time: Ongoing thread

I wanted to start a thread that brought together bike frames/components that have impressed us not just for 1/2 season but keep working through the long haul. So often, we review something and then forget to add 12 months later that it was basically religated to the trash can.

I'd like to see this develop into a list so people can utilize it when making decisions about what parts to buy/which frames are worth looking at used.

Frames and parts I expect to make this list include Chris King anything, Hope anything, Turner DHR, (or Turner anything)...

I'll start: Jeff's Durable Parts List

• * Shimano XT crankset: Been through 2 car accidents, hundreds of rock strikes, consistent riding in less-than-friendly terrain and keep on kicking. I will say the bottom brackets go but there are solutions to this and I'm mostly referring to the arms/rings.
    • * Giant Reign X frameset: I usually go to a new frame every single year. This will be my third season on this frame and although its finally ready for a bearing change (just a bit clunky) it still rides great after 300+ days in desert, mud and everything in between.
    • * MRP G2 guide: Besides a few dropped chains under extreme frame flex situations, this little guide just plain works.
    • * Gravity dropper seatpost: Maybe not the sexiest out there but my gravity dropper just plain worked. For 2 years. All the way until the moment it was stolen while on my singlespeed. I have a joplin now, and although I like it, durability hasn't been as good.
    • * Stans Flow Rims: Best trail rim ever? Light, not-too-expensive, so far, so strong. (over a year on em)

Parts that haven't impressed me over the long haul yet I still run.
    • * Avid Elixer CR brakes. Just bled again for the bazillionth time. I've bled these more than all other hydros I've had combined over the last 5 years and they do not hold a bleed no matter what. Pistons stick/freeze too. High performance great brake when working properly. It's just the "working properly" is a rarity.
    • * Lyrik: Again, I love the fork when its working but have been through a bunch of them. SRAM always makes right and I wont be switching companies anytime soon but long haul? Nope.
    • * Crank Bros pedals: If I had kept every CB pedal I've broken in the last 3 years it would probably be worth something at the metal recycler. So many broken pedals. I love them though. I can't think of running anything else.

General consensus on parts that just plain work: I'd like every component on a bike to eventually be specified here so those building a bike/replacing components can refer to this when buying stuff.
    *Giant Maestro Bikes: Mile for mile, dollar for dollar, hard to beat
    *Turner Bikes: Mile for mile, it is argueable there isn't a more long last FS bike out there
    *Thomson Seatposts: The standard
    *ODI Lock Ons: If you don't run these, you should
    *XT and Saint Cranks: You ride trails/light DH, go XT...you ride DH, go Saint. Both rock.
    *Deity Hbars: Light, strong, cheap...wait, I though you could only pick two
    *Cane Creek Headsets: Light, strong, cheap...yup. I did it again.
    Last edited by JeffreyJim; 06-15-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Good
    My Easton Havoc wheels have held up to abuse really well.
    I have some 10 year old Azonic platform pedals that are still kicking.
    Thomson seatposts are fantastic.

Bad
    Pretty much anything crankbrothers is sucky.
    Agreed on the Lyrik; great fork, but has had some issues (none requiring sending it away though).
    I've had some relatively minor issues with time pedals (bent axle, bearing preload cap falling out on the trail, etc.)

I'll Play:

Deity Bars- They go on every bike I own. Tough, light, and lets face it, they look supergangsta.
    Thomson Seatpost-If it doesn't need to go up and down, then this is the gold standard. Light, strong, clean looking.
    Minion DHF Tires-In the Utah moondust, it is the only tire I'll run. Love em in the 3c 2.5 double ply (friends don't let friends run single ply tires).
    SRAM X9 Components-All I run, cheap, light, strong, shift great, and if you blow em up on a rock, they won't kill your wallet.
    Keep it unclipped

Good:
    Azonic Fusion Magnesium pedals. Fairly light for flats, good grip, dirt cheap, one set at 4+ years and still going strong.
    Circa 2002 Marzocchi Z1 fork. Never been serviced, still works, still doesn't leak a drop of oil.
    Oury lock-on grips. My favs, great choice for those with longer fingers. Lock-on is a no-brainer.
    Lizard Skins Peaty grips. Okay, I bought 'em just for the engraved lock rings. Good motivator to look down and see "Peaty" on your handlebar.

Bad:
    CB 5050 pedals. Fail miserably at everything the Azonics succeed at.

Good:
    WTB Laser V saddle - the only one my ass seems to like

Crank Brothers Mallet pedals - everyone seems to hate CB, but I've beat the shit out of these 5 years and have not had a single problem.

Any Mavic rims

Good ol' Shimano cup and cone hubs - easy to adjust/rebuild, solid, works

Rockshox Pike 454 Coil - best fork for small bumps I've ever owned, super easy to rebuild, stiff for a 32mm fork

SRAM X7/X9/XO 9 speed derailleurs/shifters - super solid, best shifting around, been running the same ones since 2008 and they still feel brand new. Just got a brand new X7/X9 combo and it feels just as good as the XO.

Shimano XT 9spd chains/cassettes/front derailleurs - Always have been more reliable then SRAM in my experience. Lighter and less expensive too.

Cannondale Prophet frame - choose it for its geometry, glad I did. The Prophet has had the 5" slack "mini DH" geometry that most companies are now producing since 2005. Not as high tech as the fancy (and expensive) dual links, and it is not as stiff in the rear as other bikes I've ridden, but the bike is just fun, light (lighter than some carbon frames), and solid.

Avid Juicy 7's with organic pads - With sintered pads, if you breath wrong they develop a squeal. Organics fixed this for me. The reason I run these religiously is that virtually every shop carries parts for them. Jury is still out on the Elixirs, but I like them so far.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

i still regret selling my 07 norco six. i've had several frames since and all seem to fall short in terms of bang for the buck.

it wasn't most efficient pedaler, but i absolutely beat the piss out of that rig, and should still be...

i could fire off a (from the whistler free lots) a kmtm to comfortably numb. hit the car for a bite and grab the full face for a few laps in the park.

the good news is my buddy russ swooped on the frame, so it is still more or less in the familia.

Turner 5 spot. I am on my 7th season on this frame as my 'go to' bike for Tahoe. Recently rode it down a very burly trail in Vegas that included alot of drops (although by no means did I hit all of them) and the bike was a champ. Incredibly well built frame.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Good:
    Speedplay Drillium Pedals. Going on 3 years of PNWet and abuse. Just continue to blow grease through em and they keep on going. Big platform too, which I like. Not the thinnest, but also not as chunky as others.

Formula Brakes:
    07 K24's continue to run well on my wifes bike — after being mine for 3+ years. Great modulation.
    New RX's are looking to be promising too — cheep ($250 set w/o rotors and adapters) and more powerful than the K24s (keep in mind I'm a good sized dude too). Not the same awesome level of modulation as the K24 but you adjust.

Shimano Saint Rear Derailleur:
    Kinda expensive but it's held up for a couple years now. Stiff. Strong.

Cane Creek Headsets:
    Not super expensive. Simply work without issues.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Cane Creek Headsets:
    Not super expensive. Simply work without issues.
    I forgot this one. I've had so many people tell me to go with Chris King and never worry about it, but I've never had a Cane Creek fail on me. Seems silly to pay for the King when these are lighter, less expensive, and don't have any issues.

My '05 Giant Reign Frame has just a few nicks and rubs on it after 4.5 years of use...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

^^^ Second that. I've ridden the piss outta my '06 Reign, never been super nice to it, and it's never given me any reason to complain. Except for one chip in the paint, it still looks pretty close to new, too.

Cane Creek S3 headset
    Shimano Hollowtech II cranks
    Juicy 3 brakes.
    Anything SLX
    Suntour XC Pro thumbies

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Cane Creek S3 headset
    3rd'ed. Installed 3 of those (on different bikes) within the last 6 months, just plain work, and easy to get adjusted properly.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Suntour XC Pro thumbies
    Yes!!

Cane Creek headsets
    XT cranks
    XTR front der.'s
    XTR brakes
    XO/X9 anything but front der.
    Fox 36 forks
    DT 240 rear hub
    DT spokes
    Conti Rubber Queen/Trail King 2.4's - BEST tire EVER!!

Don't get me wrong now, those are the only Shimano parts I think are worth a shit and the only ones you'll find on my bikes.

good:
    +giant maestro link bikes. all of them. they ride great and they last. enough said.
    +sram 980 cassette and 970 chain. cheap, light, shifts awesome, mroe durable than xt IMO
    +formula one brakes. spendy, but super light, super powerful, and incredible modulation. really the best out there IMO.
    +x-fusion vengeance fork and vector shock. they are probably the plushest, best riding, and least expensive fork/shocks out there. super tuneable, awesome support. really happy with them.
    +shimano saint/xt cranks - stiff, light, strong, really never will have an issue. they will last longer than anything else.
    +saint rear derailleur - worth it if you ride hard and often. stiff, and more protected against rocks than the other shadow derailleurs.
    +cane creek headsets - never ever once let me down. had issues with king and fsa, but never ever a CC.
    +DT hubs and spokes - star ratchet = best mechanism in the industry IMO. super engaged, bomb proof and light. there is simply no reason to not use DT spokes, again IMO. they jsut work forever.
    +kenda BBG 2.35 DTC - best trail bike tire on the market IMO. super fast rolling, incredible grip, awesome cornering and steering, great braking. simply wow.

and sorry, i got vote for the deore/xt thumbies
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    good:

+x-fusion vengeance fork and vector shock. they are probably the plushest, best riding, and least expensive fork/shocks out there. super tuneable, awesome support. really happy with them.

+kenda BBG 2.35 DTC - best trail bike tire on the market IMO. super fast rolling, incredible grip, awesome cornering and steering, great braking. simply wow.
    Mind telling me more about these two? The x-fusion stuff sounds cool, never really considered them a factor. How does the fork compare to a Lyrik or Float 36? Axle to crown height?

The tires look interesting too, what type of terrain are you using them in? How would they do in very loose gravel? For comparison sake, I'm on 2.35 Nevegal DTC's currently.

the x-fusion is notably more smooth and sensitive than the RS or fox stuff. it is very easily tuneable, with low and hi speed compression. it is pretty linear out of the box, so i set mine up more progressive. took maybe 1 min. frankly, i think its superior to all the other 160mm forks out there in terms of ride quality. the a2c is 4mm longer than a lyrik. they are coming out with a 170mm version this fall/winter that will be the same height as a lyrik dh. same feedback on the shock. retarded sentitive. compare it to a BOS/AVY, possibly nicer than a cane creek. at least as nice, and way easier to dial in. defiantly nicer ride than a push'ed fox or an elka IMO. and they are like $450 or something, with spring and reducers, etc.

the bbg is a straight dry climate tire. hardpack, loose over hard, etc. perfect for colorado, utah, arizona, cali, etc. not a whistler/seattle type tire for sure. they do require someone that rides on the cornering knobs to really work in LOOSE stuff, but if that is you, they are IMO the best out there. if you ride more upright and steer, then i don't know how much you would love them.

edit- i have been starting to write lengthy reviews on the x-fusion stuff, probably in the next month or so. i want a little more ride time on the rear shock.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

marshal - Are you running the BBGs front and rear?

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    good:
    +giant maestro link bikes. all of them. they ride great and they last. enough said.
    +sram 980 cassette and 970 chain. cheap, light, shifts awesome, mroe durable than xt IMO
    +formula one brakes. spendy, but super light, super powerful, and incredible modulation. really the best out there IMO.
    +shimano saint/xt cranks - stiff, light, strong, really never will have an issue. they will last longer than anything else.
    +saint rear derailleur - worth it if you ride hard and often. stiff, and more protected against rocks than the other shadow derailleurs.
    +cane creek headsets - never ever once let me down. had issues with king and fsa, but never ever a CC.
    +DT hubs and spokes - star ratchet = best mechanism in the industry IMO. super engaged, bomb proof and light. there is simply no reason to not use DT spokes, again IMO. they jsut work forever.

and sorry, i got vote for the deore/xt thumbies
    Still needed to talk to you about that BBG....I may need to pick up a few. Good Super D tire I'm guessing...

Shimano M520 pedals.

My 92 Klein Attitude, full XTR, ,the first year it came out I think, Rock Shox Mag 30's. I have rode the hell out of it every year since it was new and last fall I finally converted it to a SS, kept the XTR cranks and just last month replaced the BB, after 19 years!!! The shifters were still banging gears with out a miss, the frame has a few dings but is still as strong and stiff as ever. I have a hard time bashing Shimano.

SLX stuff
    Formula Oro K24s
    Maxxis Minion Exo 2.5
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4 single ply
    Stan's sealant
    Stans Flow
    Dakine Cross X gloves

Nobody mentioned Time ATAC Pedals yet?

I have a set that is still going strong for over 10 years of abuse
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Turner 5 spot. I am on my 7th season on this frame as my 'go to' bike for Tahoe. Recently rode it down a very burly trail in Vegas that included alot of drops (although by no means did I hit all of them) and the bike was a champ. Incredibly well built frame.
    I hate to be a homer, but what lph said. I bought mine the year before his and I have beat the ever living shit out of it since. Since it was my only bike for 3 years, I rode the piss out of it on the rocky trails in Tahoe, tossed it off the diving board on Porcy (it survived, I didn't), and just rode the piss out of it everywhere I could. I got a big bike after a while, but I'm still not entirely gentle with it. I will weep when this thing either finally cries Uncle or I retire it. Unreal frame.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

BEST
    Hope M4 Disc Brakes, Best Brakes Ever!
    Shimano XTR Rear Derailleur
    Thomson Seat Post
    Oury Lock on grips
    Saris Cycle on Bike rack, this thing rocks