Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Exactly Belgian, for some reason they think they can do without the meds and loose control. I hear talk of sub-cuteneous implants now with time release meds. This chick should be first in line.

Amazing I never knew anything was wrong for months.

__________________________________________________ _____

" If you find a woman you think is not crazy, remember, she's crazy too"

-Sam Kinison

My college sorority house roomate was diagnosed bi-polar and on/off meds for the two years we lived together.

she could be a complete raging bitch who made our other roomate (the 1st year in house we were in a triple... uck! 2nd year i wised up to living with her and de facto moved in w. my bf to avoid her) and myself fear for our lives- for the first couple months we would literally TIP TOE around in fear or upsetting her and triggering her going off... this was before we knew that she was bipolar- then sweet as pie the next day baking us cookies and hanging up photos of the three of us and inviting us all these crazy places on spontaneous trips, then a fun party girl going out all night having tons of men follow her around at her beck and call (major hottie), then go on manic episodes of staying up for days at a time not changing out of pjs or showering just on the computer playing snood and shopping online for hours and hours buying out everything at bananarepublic.com and norstroms.com and whatnot. her family had tons of money- owns about 15 upscale restaurants dotting the maine and nh seacoast- and really enabled her. what other college girl do you know who has a $500 a week "allowance" to spend on whatever- in addition to room and board? and that was in '02

sometimes she would leave campus for long stints for "vacations" ... dunno if that was in treatment or legit vacations, however she would always come back kinda tranq'd up and "diminished"-ish, sleeping lots, eating lots of food, watching TV in bed, not going to class- that would last for about three or four days until another upswing started and then she would decide to redecorate the room at 3:30am.

fell out of close touch with her after i moved out of the sorority house and into a fab apartment complex called The Ghettos for senior year. afaik, i don't think she ever graduated.

dunno how she's doing now.. and oddly enough now that i am thinking about this girl i can't even remember her last name to facebook stalk her, lol... must be the PTSD induced from being her roomie. anyways, hope she's okay these days!

edit: oh and wow, writing all this out has me recalling a few other apparently repressed memories of her- 1.) i think she was also maybe a hoarder? she stashed tons of food in the room, and when she would disappear for weeks on "vacations" it would all start to stink and the sorority house maids would come and clean it out. and 2.) this was kinda pre-Girls Gone Wild Days, almost right before those started coming out, but she starred in a frat house basement GGW-esque sex tape where she played beirut in just a thong and made out with and then ate out another girl on top of the beer pong table. of course the tape which was made "for private consumption only" of certain frat boys got distributed and made the rounds... i never privy to viewing although it was quite the escándalo du joir on campus for one winter break and about half of spring semester.
    Last edited by BeanDip4All; 06-13-2011 at 01:23 AM.

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    A close friend who has been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder; told me a couple days ago she was "detoxing" from her meds, she was sure that she would be OK if she could get them entirely out of her system.

She's a beautiful person, and part of the beauty comes from her crazy flaws, but there is certainly an emotional burden that goes with being close to those who are impaired by mental illness; you can feel their anguish, but you often feel that you can't reach them.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

never mind people with diagnosed mental issues how many people are on anti-depressants ?

IME just about every woman you will meet/have a significant relationship with going into middle age ... WILL BE on anti-depressants

OR maybe I attract depressed women AND,if they arent when I meet them ...they will be eh?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    never mind people with diagnosed mental issues how many people are on anti-depressants ?

IME just about every woman you will meet/have a significant relationship with going into middle age ... WILL BE on anti-depressants

OR maybe I attract depressed women AND,if they arent when I meet them ...they will be eh?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say it... just about every woman you will meet is fucking nuts in her own little way. The catch is whether or not you can handle her brand of crazy. The one's who need medication are the one's to avoid at all cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    My brother is on depression meds. When people that know him and heard he was medicated their first question was "For Bipolar disorder?" He's still a dick so perhaps the meds are wrong.
    heh, JR's a dick? Who knew?

Been associated with a girl (beautiful) for years but finally too much to handle. Hospitalized in multiple states. Very improper thoughts, delusions, voices, running off in the middle of the night type things. Odd behavior. Her mother just called me a few days ago to tell me she has "escaped" her second 3 month term in a Dallas hospital. (she ended up there on her way to L.A.) She used to call me to "rescue" her. Once drove to L.A. and got her out of a facility. I hope she finds healing and peace at some point in her life. Very sad. Until you have first hand experience people can't relate to the experience. I have witnessed some just out of this world stuff around her. And, no matter how hard you try or want to help, I have found it impossible. As her family has as well.

Weird...post 911 for me on this topic
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Well if you look at those numbers in this cut-n-paste it would appear there are a lot of women TO avoid and remember this is Canada we are talking about which has a small population and according to another thread floating around the happiest people in the world ?

""In a recent report commissioned by the working group, Women and Health Protection, researcher Janet Currie documents the vast increase in the use of SSRI antidepressants among Canadians. The number of SSRI prescriptions dispensed in Canada went from just under 9 million in 1999 to over 15.5 million by 2003. In her report, entitled The Marketization of Depression: Prescribing SSRI antidepressants to women, Currie questions the science behind the drugs and their real-world effectiveness. She draws attention to the serious harms that these drugs can and do cause, as well as to their addictive properties.

Currie also points out that two-thirds of SSRI users are women. “The clinical trial results for SSRIs raise many questions about their effectiveness, and yet hundreds of thousands of Canadian women are being exposed to these potent brain chemicals, sometimes for many, many years despite their many risks and side effects,” says Currie.

Currie suggests a number of reasons for the increasingly widespread use of these drugs, one of which is an increased acceptance of the view that depression is a biologically-based phenomenon. Hand-in-hand with this view has come an era of aggressive marketing tactics by pharmaceutical companies. “One has to ask—is there a reason why depression rates have soared so dramatically in the last 15 to 20 years at exactly the same time as SSRIs came onto the market and have been aggressively promoted by drug companies?” she says.

Currie’s report effectively documents the full gamut of issues relating to SSRI use. It looks at the expanding definition of depression and links what appears to be an epidemic of depression and mental illness to the marketing of drugs designed to treat these conditions. Currie adds that in Canada, “depression is the fastest rising diagnosis made by office-based physicians. Visits for depression have almost doubled since 1994 and 66% of office visits for depression in 2004 were made by women.” Her report further states that 81% of physician visits for depression in 2004 resulted in a recommendation for an antidepressant—almost always an SSRI or a related drug.

At a time when health care costs are soaring out of control, the report indicates that total antidepressant drug costs were estimated to have risen 347% from 1993 to 2000. Eighty-eight percent of these additional drug costs were due to SSRI antidepressants. ""

I think there is a big difference between the vasty majority of people (2/3rds of them being women ) who are chronicaly feeling blue but function with the help of a prescription from their MD and my buddy who woke up in the psych ward 2 days after getting jabbed in the ass by the paramedics

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Well if you look at those numbers in this cut-n-paste it would appear there are a lot of women TO avoid and remember this is Canada we are talking about which has a small population and according to another thread floating around the happiest people in the world ?

""In a recent report commissioned by the working group, Women and Health Protection, researcher Janet Currie documents the vast increase in the use of SSRI antidepressants among Canadians. The number of SSRI prescriptions dispensed in Canada went from just under 9 million in 1999 to over 15.5 million by 2003. In her report, entitled The Marketization of Depression: Prescribing SSRI antidepressants to women, Currie questions the science behind the drugs and their real-world effectiveness. She draws attention to the serious harms that these drugs can and do cause, as well as to their addictive properties.

Currie also points out that two-thirds of SSRI users are women. “The clinical trial results for SSRIs raise many questions about their effectiveness, and yet hundreds of thousands of Canadian women are being exposed to these potent brain chemicals, sometimes for many, many years despite their many risks and side effects,” says Currie.

Currie suggests a number of reasons for the increasingly widespread use of these drugs, one of which is an increased acceptance of the view that depression is a biologically-based phenomenon. Hand-in-hand with this view has come an era of aggressive marketing tactics by pharmaceutical companies. “One has to ask—is there a reason why depression rates have soared so dramatically in the last 15 to 20 years at exactly the same time as SSRIs came onto the market and have been aggressively promoted by drug companies?” she says.

Currie’s report effectively documents the full gamut of issues relating to SSRI use. It looks at the expanding definition of depression and links what appears to be an epidemic of depression and mental illness to the marketing of drugs designed to treat these conditions. Currie adds that in Canada, “depression is the fastest rising diagnosis made by office-based physicians. Visits for depression have almost doubled since 1994 and 66% of office visits for depression in 2004 were made by women.” Her report further states that 81% of physician visits for depression in 2004 resulted in a recommendation for an antidepressant—almost always an SSRI or a related drug.

At a time when health care costs are soaring out of control, the report indicates that total antidepressant drug costs were estimated to have risen 347% from 1993 to 2000. Eighty-eight percent of these additional drug costs were due to SSRI antidepressants. ""

I think there is a big difference between the vasty majority of people (2/3rds of them being women ) who are chronicaly feeling blue but function with the help of a prescription from their MD and my buddy who woke up in the psych ward 2 days after getting jabbed in the ass by the paramedics
    Depression, it the new fibromyalgia.

Your buddy was raped by paramedics?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Depression, it the new fibromyalgia.

Your buddy was raped by paramedics?
    Yup except Fybromyalgia has physical symptoms , I believe sufferers DO feel the pain there is just no reason why a fybromyalgia suffer is sick ,still in Canada you can be declared disabled ,get longterm disablity from your extended health provider and the Canadian gov will also give you some $

My buddy went totally off the deep end the RCMP were called he was HEAVILY sedated, woke up on the psych ward at the regional hospitol where the elevator buttons "don't work" i just assume ... he got the needle in the butt

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say it... just about every woman you will meet is fucking nuts in her own little way. The catch is whether or not you can handle her brand of crazy. The one's who need medication are the one's to avoid at all cost.
    haha yep, sig worth IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    In the words of my wise departed father, "Crampedon, be thankful you have all your faculties" As a kid it did not mean much but now it does.
    so true. never used to realize how much could go wrong.

my buddy in college dated a girl for years who was bi-polar. she was well liked and high energy for the most part, but she was def weird/crazy and also had a dark side that few saw. there were times when she'd go off the meds and it was a nightmare for him. my friend put up with it for way longer than he should have, mostly for sex and he was too lazy and nice guy to break up with her. he actually tried to when he was graduating, but she talked him out of it. or something, lol. it went on about another year and he had to talk to her at least 3 or 4 times before she realized he was really done with her. the problem with being that guy is then he felt responsible for causing her depression and swings. that sucked, i would never want to be in that position.

Lived in a house with 5 peeps in college, one of which was a bipolar chick. She was diagnosed, on and off meds the whole time. She apparently had something for me. Hooked up with one of her friends and that set off the most ridiculous shitstorm ever. She was pretty scary after that and I bailed. Fast forward few years and she's following her doctors orders to a T and she got in touch and apologized profusely. Pretty crazy transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and just say it... just about every woman you will meet is fucking nuts in her own little way.
    What's with the "women are nuts, women or money grubbers, women are whores" point of view that seems so prevalent here? Do we really believe that women are, on the whole, less sane - less moral - than men? Is that attitude likely to lead to happiness for the men who believe it?

Maybe I just got lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Maybe I just got lucky.
    You did. Me too.

I had this job in college as a phlebotomist. Drew a blood sample on this hottie and she got all effusive, thanking me, telling me how great I was, then she gave me her number. Her: walking away waving. Me: phone number in left hand, lab slip in right "Lithium Level". I tore up the number.

Maybe it's not luck.
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    What's with the "women are nuts, women or money grubbers, women are whores" point of view that seems so prevalent here? Do we really believe that women are, on the whole, less sane - less moral - than men? Is that attitude likely to lead to happiness for the men who believe it?

Maybe I just got lucky.
    "wo/men seem wicked when you're unwanted"

It comes down to your choices and priorities (applicable equally for men and women).
    If you rate physical traits/beauty/hotness/sex high on your list and emotional stability/morals/intelligence/character low. You're probably getting what you want but probably not what you need for long term happiness.There are very attractive men and women who also have the part between their ears in good working order. Take time to seek them out instead of getting stuck on the ones that only look good.

It's human to think that you can fix what's inside the package when the wrapper looks so good, and I think we all go through some level of heartbreak because of that.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.