So I brought my 03 Honda Pilot in early for inspection after I noticed a fuel leak on the driveway last weekend. Turns out the fuel line rusted thru due to road salt and there's quite a bit of that on exposed parts under the car, including the exhaust which will prolly get replaced as well. It's gonna cost me a chunk of dough to get the work done. The work has to be done to pass inspection which is up in August. My plan was to keep the car for another 2-3 years, its got 55,000 miles and has been well maintained mechanically. Clarification: this isn't body rust, its parts exposed underneath.

Coupla questions:

Is there any remedy to retard rust and protect the underside from further corrosion?

Would you trade it in within the year to avoid further rust issues? I'm going to get a better look at it on Monday once they jack the car up and I can look it over with the Honda mechanic.

If I decide to trade it in, what model SUV or truck and/or protective coating resists rusting, if such things exist? Something under 45 grand new, and I may look at used vehicles as well.