Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Tour of Colorado/ USA Pro Cycling Challenge.

They announced course yesterday. Stage two will be heinous. Start in Gunny, go over Cottonwood pass which from the bottom, is 12 miles of dirt all the way to the summit, drop into BV then go up Independence Pass and into Aspen. Ouch. I'm thinking the winner will be decided in stage two.

TT in Vail goes part way up Vail Pass.

This is going to be a heavy climbing race. Should be fun to watch.

Bumping this...

Anyone going to view any of the stages? We are trying for Indy pass, Vail TT, and a party at our place for the portion through Silverthorne (goes through our back yard).

Anyone else heading up Indy Pass? Trying to figure out what the logistics will be. When will it be closed and how can one get up there to watch the race?

I'll be up on Indy Pass watching, although I don't really know where or the logistics quite yet.

The wife and I were thinking of watching, but not sure of the logistics. I like the Indy/Vail Pass idea though...I have a buddy who was contemplating an RV rental as well. I will touch base with him when he returns from watching Le Tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

I'd like to get up on indy pass I think. I'm also planning on watching the finish in Breck.

Anybody know if they are taking volunteers to drive the cars/motorcycles? That looks like fun, and based on what I've seen so far this year at the TDF, you don't need any special skills.
    The Sheriff is near!

I'll be in downtown Aspen for the finish of the second stage...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    I'd like to get up on indy pass I think. I'm also planning on watching the finish in Breck.
    That may change after today's Tour stage!!

Quote Originally Posted by Garth Bimble View Post
    Anybody know if they are taking volunteers to drive the cars/motorcycles? That looks like fun, and based on what I've seen so far this year at the TDF, you don't need any special skills.
    Yeah, based on the accident today it looks like they're accepting any and all applications.

So what's everyone's plan for this deal? I might try to make it to Breck, and figuring out where the best place to be in Golden as well.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Cottonwood pass is going to be awesome, they are gonna be so wasted riding on dirt roads. Awesome! My plan is to be near the summit of Cottonwood!

The Cottonwood-Independence stage is going to be sick. That downhill from Cottonwood into BV is ridiculous... those guys will hit 40-50 mph with no problem.

I'm going to be in my devil suit in Lookout Mtn. area.

I'm kicking around the idea of doing something like this for stage 2:
    http://www.crestedbutteguides.com/page.cfm?pageid=19314
    Might just do it on my own with a couple friends if we can get someone to shuttle us back from Aspen.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    The Cottonwood-Independence stage is going to be sick. That downhill from Cottonwood into BV is ridiculous... those guys will hit 40-50 mph with no problem.
    40-50? i thought this was a race...
    Live To Ski!

I'm psyched that they'll be riding within a half mile of my house on the last stage

...and I'll be at a wedding in Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by thommy21 View Post
    I'm kicking around the idea of doing something like this for stage 2:
    http://www.crestedbutteguides.com/page.cfm?pageid=19314
    Might just do it on my own with a couple friends if we can get someone to shuttle us back from Aspen.
    Um, I wonder if these folks have been up on Pearl Pass recently.... maybe the other side is more climbable, the first half of the decent on this side is going to be gnar.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I think half of Crested Butte is thinking of doing Pearl Pass to catch the next stage finish. It's already mostly hike-a-bike going up Pearl, so some snow won't really change things much.

Afromullet, yeah, I know some people who say they've hit almost 70 on the straightaway near the Yale trhd, so I agree, it will be crazy fast.

Stoked the finish here in CB is literally across the street. Should be fun!

Logistics assistance/suggestions

Hi there, have just convinced the girlfriend a detour to Colorado is required (road trip from BC through Western USA NPs) and was wondering how to approach the logistics.

Would like to see Stages 1 & 2 (not the Prologue). I have no knowledge of the area and what driving around there is like so was hoping for some suggestions of where to stay and where to drive to for good viewing.

Happy to car camp if that provides good options.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice people are prepared to provide. Will be doing more research myself, just came across this thread so decided to reach out.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Doesn't look like Chris Horner is gonna make the race...

http://www.ktvz.com/sports/28735728/detail.html

BEND, Ore. -- Bend resident and professional cyclist Chris Horner was admitted to St. Charles Medical Center-Bend late Sunday to be treated for a painful and potentially deadly blood clot in his lung.

Horner posted on his blog Monday that he'd felt some pain in his side Sunday, and doctors urged him to go straight to the hospital. He called it some of the worst pain he'd ever experienced in his life.

Horner has been back in Bend after a crash during the Tour de France left him with a concussion, broken nose, rib and foot injury.

Doctors were using a blood-thinning treatment to help dissolve the clot.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I think half of Crested Butte is thinking of doing Pearl Pass to catch the next stage finish. It's already mostly hike-a-bike going up Pearl, so some snow won't really change things much.

Afromullet, yeah, I know some people who say they've hit almost 70 on the straightaway near the Yale trhd, so I agree, it will be crazy fast.

Stoked the finish here in CB is literally across the street. Should be fun!
    yeah, these guys will definitely be in the 60s by yale trhd and also in the 60s on the aspen side of indy.
    Live To Ski!

I have seen some kitted guys go by and the road dead ends so I knew somebody must be around. Was out this morning tooling around with the kids and the Jelly Belly team came down the hill holy shit fast and quiet.

Big group from Vail Players Club headed up Vail Pass Wed night with tents and keg to camp/party and grab a great vantage point for the TT Thursday. All are welcome.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

super excited to watch this thing. Gonna close the shop on Thursday to watch the Vail TT. Then gonna head out and watch em ride down 6 and onto 131 in Wolcott.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Since the Tour of Utah just ended I'm sure some of the teams are headed east. Cadel is in PC right now training for the Tour of Colorado - too bad he didn't ride here and give Levi a run for his money.

The time trial up Vail pass is likely the same course they used to ride for the Red Zinger/Coors Classic. It was fun watching Hinault, Lemond, Heiden and a bunch of other big names wring themselves out.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein