Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ogdens

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Can we get some examples of the baseline Ogden please?
    The whole premise of this question is problematic.

10 is the worst. negative 10 is the nicest. zero is the breakover from primarily nasty to primarily nice.

it's all relative. What is Reno? Good question, seemed like a zero to me.

What is Santa Fe? Maybe negative 2?

What is Gary Indiana? 7 or 8 maybe?

How about Louisville KY? 2 Ogdens.

The thing is, if you know me, and you know any of those places, if I then say:

Boise...probably zero

Traverse City...about negative 2

St. Louis...8 Ogdens

Cincinnatti..probably 2 Ogdens

You have both a sense of how I rate these places and how they compare, to me. Folks will disagree on the numbers, but usually the place I call 5 Ogdens isn't a place anyone is putting in negative Ogdens.

I went to Louisville last year, and it was ok. We walked to one of the events, and ended up walking through one of the most burned out dilapidated areas I have ever walked through. In a suit no less. Should have taken an Uber. Sketchy. Other parts were ok.I like Boise.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    omg dude.

Select a randomized cohort of properties in a given area. Compare value as the area changes on the Ogden scale. Do that enough and you would start to see a reasonable ballpark of what you could expect from the improvement or worsening of setting. My guess is those numbers already exist somewhere, they just haven't been tied to The Ogden Scale.
    The Federal Housing Price Index seems to address your question. It’s broken down by region. Just take the percentage change for any particular region over that monthly period and adjust the Ogden accordingly.
    I still call it The Jake.

Does Ogden have a White Castle?

You mean a Mormon temple? That's what my kids call them...

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I get the sense that Yeti's is a very nonlinear scale, maybe logarithmic? I mean, any kind of linear scale would keep pretty much any place in the US to an absolute value of about 7 at most these days. Are Yemen and Damascus seeing the consideration they deserve? Or do you quietly leave a little room above 10 for actual war zones given their transient nature? Shirley Gary has to be several Ogdens less than most of Syria, doesn't it?

If trying to tie Ogdens to real estate it would be easier (not to say better--pm Buster Highman) if the scale was linear. But you'd have to update the absolute magnitude of an Ogden pretty regularly as world extremes change or you'd risk making basinbeater right and no one wants that. So maybe the nonlinear scale that's flatter in the middle is a good thing?

I think detailed discussion of these points will eventually bring basinbeater around. He just needs to focus.

Based on the above Ogden is no longer part of the equation, and has thus been made irrelevant.
    Dude, Ogden is -1.

Focus.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

I’m not an expert on Shitholes of The World so I’d have no sensible basis to compare anywhere in Syria with anywhere I’ve experienced personally.

I am, however, an expert at comparing and describing things. The Ogden is for comparing and describing. It’s not a strict unit of measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathelmet View Post
    Dude, Ogden is -1.

Focus.

During my March visit I kind of settled on Ogden being (either appropriately, or confusingly depending on how many of those jumbo permanent markers you keep around your desk) 1 Ogden.

I’ve been to some true 3rd world shitholes that are a 10 for sure. I agree that nothing in the states could possible compare. In fact I put forth that nothing in the us could be more than 7 and that nothing in Canada could be more than 6.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

During my March visit I kind of settled on Ogden being (either appropriately, or confusingly depending on how many of those jumbo permanent markers you keep around your desk) 1 Ogden.
    So maybe logarithmic is the way to go. Worst place in the world would be 0, and best would be 100. Or 1000 if you want to measure the bad down to thousandths of a unit.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I think we should hold up on labeling places shitholes until Hugh weighs in.

Or best would be 0, and worst would be 1000. Pass the black please

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Worst I have seen in the states was in Chicago. Cousin picked me up at Midway airport in a rental car, headed to the f1 race at Indianapolis, and we got lost on the se side of town. Holy shit. We ran red lights and kept going until we got out of there.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

So maybe logarithmic is the way to go. Worst place in the world would be 0, and best would be 100. Or 1000 if you want to measure the bad down to thousandths of a unit.

sent from Utah.
    If you want to produce your own thing, with those parameters, please produce it.

This isn’t the “hey, let’s all decide how we’re going to change the Ogden” discussion.

Google maps routed me through the worst part of Cleveland. Google lady even said, "you've arrived at the worst part of Cleveland". The road was gravel and I passed two separate sidewalk fires, which is like a campfire, with people standing around it and drinking and bullshitting, but on a sidewalk. Cleveland Clinic is nice and we had some great food, so I give Cleveland a 5.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Crypto-ogdens. Blockchain based ratings.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

East St Louis IL isn’t just a place where things are kind of ugly, it’s a place where the locals are stoked you’re there so they can kill you and take your shit. The difference between most bad neighborhoods and East STL is the difference between being out of place and being prey.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 05-22-2019 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Clarity of language

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Google maps routed me through the worst part of Cleveland. Google lady even said, "you've arrived at the worst part of Cleveland". The road was gravel and I passed two separate sidewalk fires, which is like a campfire, with people standing around it and drinking and bullshitting, but on a sidewalk. Cleveland Clinic is nice and we had some great food, so I give Cleveland a 5.
    Exactly. I call Cleveland a 5 also. Gotta be on your toes but nobody’s actively hunting you.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    That’s East Cleveland, it’s own city, and every bit deserving of a 5.

Cleveland proper is a 2.

I think we have some issues here though. If East Cleveland is a 5, which is halfway to Somalia at 10, then the level of shittyness as you approach the ends of the scale must be parabolic.

New driving game:

"ok google... take me to the worst part of_______"

Worst I have seen in the states was in Chicago. Cousin picked me up at Midway airport in a rental car, headed to the f1 race at Indianapolis, and we got lost on the se side of town. Holy shit. We ran red lights and kept going until we got out of there.

sent from Utah.

I did almost that same thing...except the rental I got at Midway was a Dodge Challenger and, being a meaty clean cut white guy in a new Dodge, I think I looked like a detective....so I stopped at all the stop signs and saw the sights and got me some bangin Mexican food.

good Mexican thataway!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    New driving game:

"ok google... take me to the worst part of_______"

Best way to see the worst part of xxxxxxxxxx is on a bike...much more sensory input, still enough speed to get away from hostility, no carjackings.

In Chicago, we we're driving through a burned out boarded up neighborhood, and at a light, there was a guy walking through the middle of the intersection with no shirt on, a large metal pipe in one hand, and a big gnarly looking dog on a thick chain. We didn't see any open Mexican joints.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

ESL isn’t just a place where things are kind of ugly, it’s a place where the locals are stoked you’re there so they can kill you and take your shit. The difference between most bad neighborhoods and East STL is the difference between being out of place and being prey.
    You're talking IL side of the river? Yeah, Lord of the Flies over there. But with grown-ups.