Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Ogdens

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    The Ogden Unit is a Unit of Urban Nastiness.

It’s named for Ogden Utah, but is not functionally tied directly to any ongoing status of Ogden Utah.

More Ogdens is more Units of Nasty. Negative Ogdens are effectively Units of Niceness.

Telluride would have to be like -8 Ogdens.
    So is this no longer the accepted scale? So going from -9 to -1 is getting worse? I’m so confused.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    So is this no longer the accepted scale? So going from -9 to -1 is getting worse? I’m so confused.

The Ogden is meant to confuse. But I think you had it right in the first post.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The relative reference of an ogden must change as Ogden itself changes. So if Ogden gets better, then it one ogden would mean that any place with a score of one ogden has same quality as Ogden itself. The ogden unit as a measurement cannot be static based on a moment in time, otherwise we end up with a scale based on reference to a specific moment in time which nobody will find relevant because it is impossible to validate. The value of 1 Ogden must fluctuate and stay tied to Ogden itself. Sort of the Ogden standard.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I think you mean zero Ogdens.

One Ogden is one step to closer to the dumpster.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    The relative reference of an ogden must change as Ogden itself changes. So if Ogden gets better, then it one ogden would mean that any place with a score of one ogden has same quality as Ogden itself. The ogden unit as a measurement cannot be static based on a moment in time, otherwise we end up with a scale based on reference to a specific moment in time which nobody will find relevant because it is impossible to validate. The value of 1 Ogden must fluctuate and stay tied to Ogden itself. Sort of the Ogden standard.

sent from Utah.
    The only thing in this post that is right is that it was sent from Utah. I don't mean to be an asshole here, but it needs to be said: some people need to stop spreading disinformation on this important topic! The Ogden is static in terms of the absolute best and worst places in the world at a given time and since Ogden is not static it cannot have the same rating at all times. Unless the best and worst places in the world also move the same way as Ogden at the same time and by the same amount. Obviously, then Ogden would maintain its rating. But that's unlikely, isn't it?

This should all be clear by now. Come on, man.

A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

But all units of measurement must be relative to something. Having followed this discussion for some time while keeping my mouth shut, I cannot stay silent any longer. There must be reform in the definition of the Ogden for it to remain relevant, or the whole system risks destabilization, and significant reduction in value of the system. The reform needs to move the Ogden to be related to ogdens current state. Don't risk irrelevance through stubbornness.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

IT'S NOT A COMPARISON OF "[SOME PLACE] VS. OGDEN UTAH".

IT'S UNIT OF DESCRIPTION, DESCRIBING URBAN NASTINESS, NAMED AFTER OGDEN UTAH.

Ogden Utah may be the nicest place on Earth, it doesn't change what The Ogden is.

I can't believe this is so confusing to people.

Park city nearing neutral.....really? wtf is going on up there?

What is an Ogden worth in Bitcoins?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The Ogden is meant to confuse.
    as a co-creater, I strenuously disagree!

Actual creative intents:
    1) [IMPROVE DISCOURSE] To create a unit of description which would allow the well-traveled to efficiently relate the level of urban nastiness of a given locale.

2) [GENERATE HUMOR] To confound our coworkers from Ogden, who were overly sensitive about Ogden's reputation (at that time) as a shit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    What is an Ogden worth in Bitcoins?
    zero

An interesting (and real) question would be: What is an Odgen worth in real estate value?

zero

An interesting (and real) question would be: What is an Odgen worth in real estate value?
    Appraised land value plus net annual economic output times some multiple.

I’ve been seeing crazy double-digit multiples for some time in the P.E. World but I’m not so sure investment bankers will be so equally generous in their appraisal of Ogden’s value.

YMMV.

But all units of measurement must be relative to something. Having followed this discussion for some time while keeping my mouth shut, I cannot stay silent any longer. There must be reform in the definition of the Ogden for it to remain relevant, or the whole system risks destabilization, and significant reduction in value of the system. The reform needs to move the Ogden to be related to ogdens current state. Don't risk irrelevance through stubbornness.

sent from Utah.
    10: nasty/sketchiest place on Earth. Mogadishu Somalia? Monrovia Liberia? Juarez Mexico? Some gangster city in Sinaloa? Wherever Digitaldeath grew up?

-10: Least nasty/sketchiest cities on Earth. Zurich? Toronto? etc...

0: Neither notably nasty nor notably nice: Green Bay? Madison? Austin? Boise?

It's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Appraised land value plus net annual economic output times some multiple.

I’ve been seeing crazy double-digit multiples for some time in the P.E. World but I’m not so sure investment bankers will be so equally generous in their appraisal of Ogden’s value.

YMMV.
    ugh....no

How much does the property value of a given area increase or decrease when the nastiness of the area increases or decreases.

If you own a home and nothing changes except your city setting goes from 1 Ogden to 3 Ogdens, how much does the net worth of that property change? That's the question. That would answer what those two Ogdens were worth.

10: nasty/sketchiest place on Earth. Somalia? Monrovia Liberia? Juarez? Some gangster city in Sinaloa?

-10: Least nasty/sketchiest cities on Earth. Zurich? Toronto? etc...

0: Not particularly nasty/sketchy or exceptionally nice/safe: Green Bay? Madison? Austin? Boise?

It's not that hard.
    Didn't Toronto's mayor used to smoke crack in the ghetto? That loses a few points.

Based on the above Ogden is no longer part of the equation, and has thus been made irrelevant.

If you set ogden to 1, then Zurich could go from -10, to, as the city improves, or Ogden worsens, to -15. Somalia could achieve a score of 20, but for every new meth lab that opens in Ogden, Somalia score would drop accordingly, 19.

Also, the super long boring ass conference call I was on, is now over.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Yeah park City has gone to shit. We sold and moved.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

ugh....no

If own a home and your city goes from 1 Ogden to 3 Ogdens, how much has your net worth changed? That's the question.
    Is your home located in MY city? And how does your home affect MY net worth?

as a co-creater, I strenuously disagree!

Actual creative intents:
    1) [IMPROVE DISCOURSE] To create a unit of description which would allow the well-traveled to efficiently relate the level of urban nastiness of a given locale.

2) [GENERATE HUMOR] To confound our coworkers from Ogden, who were overly sensitive about Ogden's reputation (at that time) as a shit hole.
    Well, now you're just making shit up.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Is your home located in MY city? And how does your home affect MY net worth?
    omg dude.

Select a randomized cohort of properties in a given area. Compare value as the area changes on the Ogden scale. Do that enough and you would start to see a reasonable ballpark of what you could expect from the improvement or worsening of setting. My guess is those numbers already exist somewhere, they just haven't been tied to The Ogden Scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Well, now you're just making shit up.
    my disagreement was truly strenuous. I assure you.

Based on the above Ogden is no longer part of the equation, and has thus been made irrelevant.

If you set ogden to 1, then Zurich could go from -10, to, as the city improves, or Ogden worsens, to -15. Somalia could achieve a score of 20, but for every new meth lab that opens in Ogden, Somalia score would drop accordingly, 19.
    No. No. and also No.

It's not open for interpretation, it's not suddenly going to 19.

10 above to 10 below.
    10 represents the worst of the worst, negative 10 represents the furthest from the worst. Zero is a breakover point where you change from relating nastiness to relating niceness.

fuck's sake. are you people huffing spraypaint today?

I just have permanent markers at my desk for huffing. Does an increase of huffing drive the score up or down? If someone in Ogden huffs paint, but nobody sees, does the score move?

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I just need to understand. I think the fundamentals are at risk here. Also, I only stop in Ogden at Arby's on the way to Idaho, though I did have a snow basin pass back when I picked this stupid username.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I just have permanent markers at my desk for huffing.

clever plan

Does an increase of huffing drive the score up or down?

It doesn't help.

If someone in Ogden huffs paint, but nobody sees, does the score move?
    I think the nature of nasty places is that nobody cares or notices, it's a chicken-and-egg thing. Just the fact that nobody notices is a not a good sign.

I only stop in Ogden at Arby's
    initiate vicarious diarrhea sequence

But the value of the 65 continues to change, impacting the relative value of the 05, (which is also changing).
    Can we get some examples of the baseline Ogden please?

I'll have you know that my system deals with Arby's quite well thank you, and I would rate the 3rd floor bathroom post Arby's -2 ogdens on a floating scale...

sent from Utah.
    sigless.