Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Ogdens

Helldawg Guest
    Sweet Blog. *yawn*

Yeah sometimes I accidentally forget that this is now a political trolling forum for people who will never meet one another and it has nothing to do with staying in touch with actual ski friends anymore.

Back to your regular back and forth red/blue bickering over whatever's on CNN today.

your post was pretty enlightening about balancing the ski chase with a normal life. it's definitely not an easy task if you want the best of both worlds. most people have to sacrifice and pick one that shapes their lives, and constantly deal with the 'grass is greener' effect. and most pick job security and starting a family over chasing snow, so you are not alone in wanting more out of your life.

without getting overly analytical, it sounds to me like you could use a female friend. besides the obvious benefits, the ones worth keeping will force you to stay somewhat grounded, and help you be more content with who you are instead of worrying about what is missing in your life.

so where would Park City fall on the Ogden scale??

I don't know...like -9 probably?

It would be -10 if you didn't have to worry about your toddlers getting run over by Jeremy Nobis.

Ogden can't be like 0 ogdens. It's got to be 1 ogden or nothing.
    Living vicariously through myself.

You kind of have a point. But if Ogden is 1 ogden then you get into all these 1/8th of an Ogden kinds of things.

If you think about it, Ogden isn't really a benchmark here, it could change. It could get a tram from weber state right to sb and homeland security could round up the mexicans and the dogfood factory could close...I mean that could all happen. Ogden could swing hard around right into the negative ogdens.

Hugh Conway Guest
    if you are south this year you've beers/new board on me y-man

I don't know. I thought nursing would be a good call with all the practicality of it, and really, I get the theory really well and I do pretty well at it...but I just absolutely hate doing it. I hate the hierarchy, I hate the bitchy culture, I hate the doctors breezing in from their BMW making two pen strokes and leaving me with all the shit piss and blood, I hate the fact that I'm supposed to play some character with a fake smile and never speak honestly with anyone, I hate having to fake these exchanges and steer conversations to extract information from people. I just hate it all. I really would like to just do some simple work where I can be myself and the people I work with are nice regular people. This is far from that, this is a hurried, sketchy mess of bullshit. I have to adopt a weird bullshit persona just to do the job and that alone makes it suck.
    I didn't read your whole novel, but this part caught my eye. I have lots of friends who are nurses (including my wife, in fact), and they ALL bitch about some aspect of it, but they ALL love it too. Get a specialty (my wife is WOCN, some friends are nurse anesthitists, another friend manages OR nurses somewhere in LA) and not only will you double your money, but the work conditions are better too. Good job - suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Ogden can't be like 0 ogdens. It's got to be 1 ogden or nothing.
    ya know, I was actually thinking about that. I think it has be neither 1 Ogden or 0 Ogdens, it is simply Ogden. Any place that is Ogden, is Ogden. As far as I know there is only one Ogden, but some other city could also be Ogden, as long as it is also Ogden or at least changes its name to Ogden. If it doesn't change its name but is otherwise equal to Ogden, then it is 1 Ogden. What -1 Ogden would be then is a bit of a puzzler. My initial analysis is that -1 Ogden would have to be a place called Ogden, which is totally different than Ogden. Like if you changed Monaco's name to Ogden, it would be -1 Ogden. I know there's a flaw in this, in that the -1 is supposed to signify the phrase "is 1 times better than" not "is 100% different than", but otherwise "1" and "-1" are not diametrically opposite. I dunno, it's complicated.

Yeti, I sorta can't see you as a nurse. It just doesn't seem to fit your temperament and you seem very aware of this. I can definitely see you as an EMT, though, I think you'd be great at it. Can't you transfer the credits or whatever you get?

It's as if I'm not in the hospital with actual nurses constantly.

I'm not speaking from some lack of exposure or misunderstanding. I'm right there in it. It clearly sucks. Like I said, I wouldn't trust anything any nurse says about nursing. It's completely taboo to admit what a rotten job it is. I guess if you want to get your doctorate over a 10 year process and go for CRNA then that's great...but by then you might as well have just gone to medical school. I'm pretty sure residents don't start off measuring buckets of diarrhea.

Much the same way it's taboo for people from Ogden to admit that Ogden is ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    if you are south this year you've beers/new board on me y-man
    After reading Y-man's rant on the previous page I've been trying to think of something helpful to write, but HC pretty much nailed it. Me too, J.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    [blog]........ I've been on "one more day" suicide-prevention-mode for years now...because I met my lifetime goal, all I ever wanted out of life was to be a great skier and to go skiing every day. I did it, I realize it was hollow and retarded. I don't know what to do with my life now, it's not like I can just all of a sudden snap my fingers and undo my 20 year mistake. Everything has just, you know.... gone very very wrong. ...... [/blog]
    Havin been afforded the op to share turns and watch you ski I have a hard time believing that didn't bring you pleasure and there are a hell of a lot worse mistakes you could make. Hope it all works out for ya and hope to share pow turns or a zipper line w/ you again someday.
    I'm still confused though as to rate this thread -2 or +2 Icemans
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I thought I was offended by Provo, but Magna, shudder.
    Quoted for truth and hilarity...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Wait, shouldn't Ogden be neutral Ogdens? Then the scale would go up and down from there. How can Ogden be 5 Ogdens? You're confusamacating me.
    Inflation.

Ogden jumped up a couple Ogdens when Soul and Bones was forced out of their lease to make room for a night club. Man I hope they find a new place soon. When there are only 5 or so good restaurants in town, losing one of the best of them really hurts.

I've been here for ~ 6 years now, its a pretty rad place to live if your into skiing and biking.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

If your only two criteria for measuring a city were cost of living and outdoor recreation I'd think Ogden would be at the top of the list, but if you add in unsightly buildings/bums etc... it loses ground quickly, for now.

I love the place. It's home of the nations largest historic district and I'm an old home junky. Most of the homes are beat to hell or cut-up into 6 units, but more and more of them restored every year. The house we currently live in couldn't be built today for under a mil, but we got it for 160K (5,000 sq ft). Here are just a few photos (I need to add more): http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8&l=98e74dbda6

Here's a recent Boulder article that's really an Ogden article:
    http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_18194889

I could spend days writing all the reason why I like the place. If it were already completely restored and squeaky clean it wouldn't be for me. I couldn't afford it. Right now it's so cheap that not only can I have a pretty crazy quality of life, but I also have the capacity to affect real change. Between myself and the group of friends/family I work with we've already restored 35+ properties in town. It's pretty cool to have that ability to change something and there are a ton of others doing the exact same thing. I think the city has already hit critical mass for turning around (in terms of number of people here making it happen). It will still take years to do, but the people are here.

Urban Nastiness (in ogdens)
    -10...................-5....................0...................5......................10
    East Hampton NY.....Draper, UT.......Green Bay........Ogden......Baltimore....East St. Louis

heh...

It's like PH. Ogden is not neutral!

Urban Nastiness (in ogdens)
    -10...................-5....................0...................5......................10
    Orem.......Draper..............Murray.........Salt Lake.....WVC...Ogden..Magna..Kearns

lol

Quote Originally Posted by meatdrink9 View Post
    Between myself and the group of friends/family I work with we've already restored 35+ properties in town. It's pretty cool to have that ability to change something and there are a ton of others doing the exact same thing. I think the city has already hit critical mass for turning around (in terms of number of people here making it happen). It will still take years to do, but the people are here.
    I'm really impressed by the pictures of your place. I'm breaking myself in restoring and fixing up an arts and crafts foursquare in DC. Hoping to cash out here and move to Ogden in about a year. Hopefully you'll have one more old house fixer-upper guy in the neighborhood soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    I'm still confused though as to rate this thread -2 or +2 Icemans
    ...sigged! greatness

how many ogdens does vernal, ut get? our time there seemed pretty shady, too... although not as shady as ogden.

also massadona, colorado seemed to have a moderately high odgen factor, however it might have just been the cracktastic motel (ie- some hicks house who put up a motel sign) we stopped at to crash while we were driving through kinda late one night. they had three ENORMOUS dogs sleeping on couches and 4 even more ginormous guys laid out snoozing on the floors with their stomachs hanging out next to empty bottles and shotguns in the living room when i went to check in at the "reception desk". i was like... uhhh... i think we'll keep driving, thanks!

later i found out right around there is where some hitchhiking snowboarder got picked up and killed, sadly...

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I'm really impressed by the pictures of your place. I'm breaking myself in restoring and fixing up an arts and crafts foursquare in DC. Hoping to cash out here and move to Ogden in about a year. Hopefully you'll have one more old house fixer-upper guy in the neighborhood soon enough.

Very cool. I love the arts crafts style places. There are quite a few here in town. Give me shout whenever you have questions about the area. I just spent 2+ hours chatting with a new neighbor who's doing the same things I'm doing on an even larger scale. He just bought a 10,000 sq ft place and is in the process of buying several others.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    how many ogdens does vernal, ut get?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Yreka, CA?

I don't know...I remember driving through but I didn't really experience it. You tell me.