Thread: SUP or Kayak?

SUP or Kayak?

I understand this is a matter of opinion, but just kind of looking for outsider insight and thoughts to help me decide whether to purchase an SUP or Kayak for my local river and lakes.

Anyone tried both, and now prefer one over the other? if so, why? I would use both on flat water, just for a an hour or so after work.
    Sprock out like you mean it

I've got both...for what you describe the SUP will provide the better workout for an hour or so of paddling after work, but the kayak (touring/sea I assume) would be better for full day extended trips or camping excursions. both are wicked fun though....

They are totally different but the answer is you need both. You can get an old used kayak for $200, so its no big deal. You definitely want the SUP for late season and anything on lakes when it is not windy. You need the kayak to run serious rapids and even on the lake if it is windy. If you are only running class 2 and 3 get an SUP. However if you want to run amazing rivers and explore unknown places, get a kayak. If you are mainly just looking to get laid but are scared of kayaking, buy both but just put the kayak in your backyard like your a badass and ride the SUP all the time.

Why not just get a kayak, and when you feel like doing things the hard way, stand up on the seat to paddle it?

Quote Originally Posted by G View Post
    Why not just get a kayak, and when you feel like doing things the hard way, stand up on the seat to paddle it?
    ^^^Have you ever tried your own recommendation?

If you want to stand up get a SUP.

I will add here that a sit on top, inflatable or plastic, might be good for your uses. I have a Thrillseeker and it works very nicely for many things.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    ^^^Have you ever tried your own recommendation?

If you want to stand up get a SUP.

I will add here that a sit on top, inflatable or plastic, might be good for your uses. I have a Thrillseeker and it works very nicely for many things.

you may have overlooked a or on this one.

I know I LOL'd
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Thanks for the replies.

I actually stumbled upon a Kayak and SUP demo day at my local river in Portland, Oregon over the weekend ( what perfect timing). Anyway, I determined that an SUP is not as practical for Oregon's weather, and polluted local river imho. Also, riding an SUP was a lot of fun, however you can't exactly sit back and relax and check out wildlife and such the same way you can on a kayak. So kayak it is.
    Sprock out like you mean it

Kayak.....If you said that you wanted to exercise and that was your main focus then the SUP would have been the choice.

But to sit back and enjoy the river/lake a kayak is the way to go.

There is a third option you may not know about. Its called striding, not many do it but if you get an inflatable kayak, you could do both. You would of course need a short paddle, for sit down, and a much longer paddle for the striding.
    watch out for snakes