Thread: K2 Coomback

K2 Coomback

Anybody know if K2 will have the Coomback in their 2011 -2012 line and if yes will they be the same as the 2010 model?

Updated Coomback for Fall 2011. Dimensions/rocker stay the same, but a little more carbon in the tip/tail for stiffness. New graphics too (left ski here: http://www.skiersrealm.com/general/2...hment/img_2690)

^^ Excellent news. More carbon + New graphix =

188 or 181?

I'm 6'3" 205 and I want to use them for touring. I have a pair of 191cm surface live lifes so I initially thought the 188 was the way to go. Holding the 181 up to the 191 live lifes, however, make me think otherwise (they are almost the same).

Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by T-rent View Post
    188 or 181?

I'm 6'3" 205 and I want to use them for touring. I have a pair of 191cm surface live lifes so I initially thought the 188 was the way to go. Holding the 181 up to the 191 live lifes, however, make me think otherwise (they are almost the same).

Any input?
    Where and what you will be skiing should be factors you take into consideration.
    also, how you like to ski.

edit: I'm 6' 200+ and ski the 188 rockered Anti-Piste's (same ski) with Dynafits, love 'em in all sort of conditions
    Last edited by DeathVan; 03-26-2012 at 01:35 PM.

I am 6'3" and about 200-220 depending on week

I have the coomba (original no rocker) and ski the 188, which measures more like a 190+ easy..dont know what tape measure they use at K2 but somethings up as all their skis tend to measure long.

I enjoy the 188.

Quote Originally Posted by T-rent View Post
    188 or 181?

Any input?
    Unless they are a whole lot stiffer than the Original Non-rockered version, I think you'll find the speed limit pretty quick with the 181's. That may be an appropriate trade-off for a little less weight on the uphill and a more maneuverable ski, but they are relatively light skis to begin with. I'm 5'8", 195lbs skiing the older 188's with Scarpa Spirit 4's as well as Telemark bindings and I don't ever feel like my Coomba's are too much ski.

I'm 6'2" 165 lbs and ski 181 Coombacks. They're a great length for me for skiing. They're about as long as I would want to go for the skin up- 7 cm more would make kick turns on hard snow difficult.

They're a pretty soft ski and I don't think the "speed limit" is going to be changed a whole lot by length. I could probably be pretty happy with the 174s.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

I'm 5'6 and have the 181...I find them quite stable at high speed and also do not find them a problem to kick turn what so ever. In regard to stability I only use them as a b.c. ski and haven't tried charging chop yet. However I have mached some groomers on them and didn't find them anything other than stable there and in back country snow.

I'm a big boy (6'2", 240 lbs.) and tour on 181cm Coombacks. They are great. I'm a old guy and turn alot. They are great touring skis for a wide range of conditions. I tour on a light stiff ski (Trab) after the spring consolidation.

I started this thread almost a year ago so I guess I can post again. I ended up buying the Coombacks in 181, mounted FRP's + 1 cm. Use them almost exclusively in the BC, intended to use them on powder days in bounds but other than early last week that has been a challenge this year. I have used them a few times at the resort and they ski well other than on real hard pack. 5'8" 165 lbs of old man.