Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: help a n00b out

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    gamehenge
    Posts
    24

    Smile help a n00b out

    hey, im kinda new to skiing, in other words, i just started this season. i used to snowboard but im sick of it (no offense), i just like to ski more. well, i've been renting POS skis from sport chalet or using my dad's old dynastars which are at least 25 years old. im looking to buy some good twintip skis, i do mostly all mountain skiing with a little park and not much pipe. im a big guy, 6'2 and 200lbs so like a mid fat ski? i really dont know what the difference between a regular ski and a fat ski is.. well i've been looking at the line assasinMTX's and they seem good, i'd just like some input from people who actually know what they're doing. thanks a bunch.
    "First you forget names, then you forget faces. Next you forget to pull your zipper up and finally, you forget to pull it down."
    George Burns.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    9,300ft
    Posts
    18,671
    Popcorn - Check
    Soda - Check
    JONG - Check
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,655
    Welcome JONG now take this post to Tech Talk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Snowmasspen
    Posts
    1,225
    Well... AKPM likes pocket rockets...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    32,585
    Arty50????

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    tawhore
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by splat
    Arty50????


    Naw, he only looks like this is his first season.
    steezarific!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    4,964
    EPICSKI JONG!
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado Cartel HQ
    Posts
    16,028
    Buy some Bro Models. You can use your refund check to support the anti-war movement.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    down south
    Posts
    630
    people here

    Well, at least you finnaly saw the light.

    Since you are first starting out get something old and used. Perhaps a pair of old thrashed 1080s or something?

    The fatness of the ski dosent have much to do with your weight. Usually thinner skis are for carving (i.e. racing), midfats are "all mountain" and fat skis are for powder. Good luck avoiding the firery flames.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    gamehenge
    Posts
    24
    yeah, looks like that's gonna be tough..
    "First you forget names, then you forget faces. Next you forget to pull your zipper up and finally, you forget to pull it down."
    George Burns.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huh?
    Posts
    10,916
    Quote Originally Posted by splat
    Arty50????
    God damnit! Give me credit where credit is due. I'm at least 230 lbs. And after multiple plates of food last night, I probably gained 5 pounds. Jeebus, I take pride in my rotundness.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    8,237
    Arty, it helps you to go faster and the extra mass is also great vibration dampening

  13. #13
    Vets's Avatar
    Vets is online now Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Topaz, NV
    Posts
    3,769
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryhank
    hey, im kinda new to skiing, in other words, i just started this season. i used to snowboard but im sick of it (no offense), i just like to ski more. well, i've been renting POS skis from sport chalet or using my dad's old dynastars which are at least 25 years old. im looking to buy some good twintip skis, i do mostly all mountain skiing with a little park and not much pipe. im a big guy, 6'2 and 200lbs so like a mid fat ski? i really dont know what the difference between a regular ski and a fat ski is.. well i've been looking at the line assasinMTX's and they seem good, i'd just like some input from people who actually know what they're doing. thanks a bunch.
    Demo. As long as you are renting skis, pay a few bucks more to demo and find out what suits you best. Some resort shops will let you demo multiple pairs in one day. If you buy your skis from that shop they will often take the demo cost(s) off of (their inflated) price of the skis.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Stuck in perpetual Meh
    Posts
    35,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Vets
    Demo. As long as you are renting skis, pay a few bucks more to demo and find out what suits you best. Some resort shops will let you demo multiple pairs in one day. If you buy your skis from that shop they will often take the demo cost(s) off of (their inflated) price of the skis.
    Winnah!
    890

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Huh?
    Posts
    10,916
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover
    Arty, it helps you to go faster and the extra mass is also great vibration dampening
    Hmmmm...so what you're saying is that my spare tire is actually a vibration dampener. Excellent.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    8,237
    Kinda explains all the smoov mooves eh

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    写道
    Posts
    12,559
    Yo Hank. You really in OC? I'll be passing through tomorrow and possibly again Wednesday on my way to and from the Holy Land. I may spend a few hours in Dana Point visiting one of my ex honeys. Where abouts you at? I also need to buy some more gear at the USC store at that big mall in Costa Mesa. Maybe a brief hook up?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •