Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    There are plenty of other ski towns further from a metropolis that do just fine... Maybe there would be one or two good resorts instead of heaps of crap resorts but im pretty sure people were living in truckee around the same time san francisco started booming. perhaps you've herd of the transcontinental railroad? I also dont think you have any idea about what it takes to be a "local" in tahoe, and most of us dont have jobs that are in tourism industries because guess what, those jobs dont pay shit and are all filled by seasonal's who are NOT LOCALS.
    Basically there is no fucking truth that justifies you being a douche nozzle and coming into my home with your fucking attitude. Stay the fuck out of truckee and north lake if your a piece of shit yuppy who thinks you own the place. Feel free to visit south lake because we all know what a shit hole that place already is because of your kind

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    It's not a high horse. It's the fucking truth. There would be no economy - no ski areas - and nobody living there - without the mass amounts of tourists that flock to Tahoe. You most likely wouldn't be living there. It certainly couldn't support the local population.

So yes powfiend, they are doing you a favor.
    I wasn't implying that Truckee as today would exist, but the town was around before bay area tourists. Believe or not there's mountain towns all over the west that exist without the main income being weekend tourists.

Ski areas would still exist, because 45 minutes away there's a population of almost 1/2 million people. You know how many people live in Truckee and commute to Reno? You know how many people work in Tahoe and live in Reno?

It doesn't matter anyway if Truckee would be here or not because when I go on vacation I don't bring the attitude with me that the locals owe me something.

All the hardcore locals do the majority of their grocery shopping in the bay area.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    All the hardcore locals do the majority of their grocery shopping in the bay area.
    QFT. Bwahahaha. Man, there is enuf butthurt in this thread now to fill up the Tahoe basin.

Tahoe is a tourist economy. Period.
    If you act like a douche, you're a douche.
    White wolf is worth at least 45M cause it includes the top of KT.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    White wolf is worth at least 45M cause it includes the top of KT.
    That's a really good point actually. We kind of overlooked that KSL is leasing the top of KT from Caldwell currently.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

It's not a high horse. It's the fucking truth. There would be no economy - no ski areas - and nobody living there - without the mass amounts of tourists that flock to Tahoe. You most likely wouldn't be living there. It certainly couldn't support the local population.

So yes powfiend, they are doing you a favor.
    Careful with that brush stroke you paint. The attitude that this place and ALL of its population needs tourism dollars is exactly the kind of BS he's talking about. What the fuck do you expect people to act like when that's the way you view them. No one wants to hear how vital you are to their existence. Tell a cop you pay his salary next time you're in the limbo of deciding whether or not you're about to be treated well.

Tourism dollars don't affect me one damn bit (nor VC). So telling people they have to deal with morons sliding into them every snowstorm because without them, their lives wouldn't exist is just retarded as hell. Every town here existed long before the first ski area.

I'm sorry some 20 year olds bumping lifts or serving drinks who have been here one season annoy you. They're about the only 'local as fuck' people around. It's cool. They annoy everybody But that's not everyone here. Not by a long shot.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Tourism dollars don't affect me one damn bit (nor VC).
    So why don't you move to fucking Markleeville? Or one of those towns that "existed" before tourism and now doesn't? Funny thing is I remember both of you bitching about the sled shop closing. I'm pretty sure it'd be a longer trip for you to a grocery which probably wouldn't have the same stock on shittier roads that didn't get plowed as much. If that's not "one damn bit" guess we've different standards.

I'm sorry some assholes from the bay area are assholes. they are assholes in the bay are too

So why don't you move to fucking Markleeville?
    Too long a commute to my job at squaw valley USA.

I didn't exactly sell my sled when thin air closed ya know (nor did I ever spend more than about 40 bucks on a single purchase there). I purposely buy a truck with clearance.....see where we're goin here?

'one damn bit' is a bit selective I'll give you. But it would be like jesus descended from heaven above with no plowed roads and the aforementioned sled in my garage. I'd get to work AND get the same skiing I get in now without the TGR posse following me up a skin track and then skiing above me on a cornice

And the ability to go to whatever ginrall store existed on a snowy friday afternoon without team north face acting like I owed them something would be pretty sweet.

You know what I'm saying and I know what you're basically saying. We're both annoyed by the same people. But I don't squeal at you personally for barging your allstar equipped hummer over the benicia bridge so you shouldn't act like everyone in tahoe gets laid off on a bad ski season.

Hugh Conway Guest
    err, no, I don't. If you don't like the tourists, don't like the amenities they afford (resorts, food, roads, large supply of admittedly not cheap housing stock, support sector) move somewhere the fuck else. you live in the biggest mountain resort area in the US. there's lots of other mountain towns in the west (according to VC) who don't need tourist dollars. Oddly most of the ones i've been to want more tourist dollars though and many are willing to work on that. Unlike tahoe which is like some of the other sneering towns in California (I'll include several of the beach towns like Santa Cruz and Ventura) and seem to expect tourists to show up and spend money because they are awesome when in reality they are dingy piles of shit. Alot like most of the places in the tahoe basin.

santa cruz:surf = truckee:ski???

I think that was on my SAT way back when...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

err, no, I don't. If you don't like the tourists, don't like the amenities they afford (resorts, food, roads, large supply of admittedly not cheap housing stock, support sector) move somewhere the fuck else.
    I've been trying for the last 5 years genius.

I don't live alone, and my job is a little specialized.

^^^Mind telling me what job you have at Squaw that is not affected one bit by tourism dollars? I can't think of a single one, unless maybe you work at the post office.

^ he designs skis with the O'meara boys
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

^^^Mind telling me what job you have at Squaw that is not affected one bit by tourism dollars? I can't think of a single one, unless maybe you work at the post office.
    He's a professional smart ass

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    ^ he designs skis with the O'meara boys
    Are those skis strictly sold to people who live in Tahoe with incomes that are not dependent on tourism dollars either?

If everyone in showbiz is no more than 6 degrees from Kevin Bacon, then there isn't anyone in Tahoe or Truckee that is more than 2 degrees from Tourism.

Mmmm bacon. What was I sayin? Nevermind, I'm gonna go cook up some bacon and then feed the grease to my bio-diesel Hummer.

So why don't you move to fucking Markleeville?
    isn't markleeville all about the river and tourism based on that (rafting, fishing, etc.)?

i ain't sure about tahoe but know first hand that mammoth lakes fills more beds/day during the summer than winter. that knowledge dates back from the mid-90's to present.

Quote Originally Posted by VC View Post
    He's a professional smart ass
    I make a living at that in the Bay Area. Ergo, 'woo is just another poser local.
    not counting days 2016-17

Wink

I've been a tourist since the day I was born.
    Just passin' through, enjoyin' the view...
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

Are those skis strictly sold to people who live in Tahoe with incomes that are not dependent on tourism dollars either?
    Thats not really his job.

yes it is, or it seemed like it's what I read on the blog posted on the website that he designed.

Point being that company wouldn't exist without tourist dollars. I would love nothing more than to see Tahoe have a self sustaining economy that was not subject to seasons, weather, etc. Just local businesses supporting other local business. It ain't happening. Every single job in Tahoe, with the exception of a few government jobs or working from home, is dependent on tourism money, no way anyone can successfully argue that.
    Ain't this thread about Whitewolf? Lets get back to speculating about that and how disappointed everyone is gonna be when they realize how overhyped linking Squaw and Alpine is, save for the few days that Whitewolf will actually ski good without being sun-baked.

Can we all agree that there are plenty of bay area douche bags? C'mon, I was born in the north bay and still live here because I can't convince my wife to move closer to Truckee / SLT / whatever for various reasons, but god knows when I'm up there I find a lot of the bay area folks pretty damn annoying. And yes, c'mon, their money is necessary to the area in general in some ways (but not be-all-end-all) but they don't have to be snotty fucking assholes about it either. If you want to come up to Tahoe with that attitude then just stay the fuck home.

There are douches (and nice folks) everywhere. A lot of them (the douches) seem to be in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    yes it is, or it seemed like it's what I read on the blog posted on the website that he designed.
    I should probably just say that I do not know what KidWoo's real job is...

I was just funnin him about designing skis being "unrelated to tourism"...