Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Whitewolf here we come! Alpine + Squaw. Dreams can come true.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2011/0...lpine-meadows/

"According to Unofficial’s “sources” KSL made an offer to JMA in February, 2011 and the deal is currently being finalized. That’s our turn in the rumor mill and we are sticking to it."
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm pretty sure you're just having a wet dream.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I heard donner ski ranch is buying squaw.

I heard about an ambitious plan to link Boreal to Homewood and back in a project known as the Sierra Ronda. Obviously because this project is aimed at expat Euros who don't like the piffling little ski areas the natives call home there are certain downsides like the fuck off groomers that will be ploughed through your favourite backcountry stashes, but on the other hand you'll get a fur boutique in Soda Springs and you'll be guaranteed a nice espresso and a bombardino in any hut in the circuit. Lift mazes will also be abolished.

^^^^

Did you say espresso?

For those who won't be waiting, know that the Whitewolf owner apparently can watch that slope and has taken to having skiers poaching there (from KT) apprehended and heavily fined. Says he needs the untracked snow to sell time to photographers.

666, lovely photo in the linked article.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

I just bought both my Alpine and Squaw midweek passes today online. They both use the EXACT same order form too now. Yeah, not exactly a confirmation, but enough to get my conspiratorial juices flowing ! Let it happen! Linking these two resorts is so logical it's not funny as long as they don't screw with out a bounds policies at Alpine, but that probably won't happen as it's public land.

Obviously its just rumors....... BUT

What would you rather have KSL spend $50 mil on?

A) Lodging and Pools at the base, chami remodel, gold coast upgrade, etc...

~or~

B) Whitewolf

too bad $50 mil wouldnt buy whitewolf, alpine, and homewood.

EDIT: I hate to say this... but the reason Squaw is loosing to NS and Heavenly is by not pleasing the gaper crowd. This is not due to fancy lodging, food, and other ammenities.. Its do to wide, long, and sunny blue groomers. Sure squaw has Shirley Lake. But it is colder and a hassle to get there. Whitewolf is the perfect addition. You could groom a fat, long, south facing run that would sell tickets.
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

While I personally don't care about this one bit, the sub-par park at Squaw compared to Northstar isn't helping either...

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I hate to say this... but the reason Squaw is loosing to NS and Heavenly is by not pleasing the gaper crowd. This is not due to fancy lodging, food, and other ammenities.. Its do to wide, long, and sunny blue groomers. Sure squaw has Shirley Lake. But it is colder and a hassle to get there. Whitewolf is the perfect addition. You could groom a fat, long, south facing run that would sell tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    EDIT: I hate to say this... but the reason Squaw is loosing to NS and Heavenly is by not pleasing the gaper crowd.
    Who says Squaw is losing? I say WINNING!!!
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Heard a well-sourced rumor today that the sale is currently in escrow. Obviously, it could still fall through, even if the rumor is correct. Caveat lector.
    not counting days 2016-17

Tonight I heard something similar, also from a very reliable source.

Heard the same from two different sources this week...
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

I just want Squaw to open BC access, and skiing the upper part of Whitewolf on the way to Alpine could be rad, but I can really care less about this deal. They will still have to get people over to Alpine from Whitewolf to connect the two. Will they add a lift from there over to Alpine? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I just want Squaw to open BC access
    That appears to be in the works regardless, based on statements by Squaw patrol at ISSW 2010.

skiing the upper part of Whitewolf on the way to Alpine could be rad
    But would not be made possible by Squaw opening BC access, because White Wolf isn't BC.

They will still have to get people over to Alpine from Whitewolf to connect the two. Will they add a lift from there over to Alpine? I doubt it.
    You mean, from Alpine to the base of Troy's lift? Why would they bother? I predict a base-to-base gondola, probably with a midstation located to permit skiing to either base (if that's possible).

Squaw is already planning to put in a lot of infrastructure next summer. KSL clearly has capital allocated.

Yeah, I know that upper part of Whitewolf isn't BC. I just don't see the ease of actually connecting to the base of Alpine. Also, I don't think Tahoe needs another base village w/ condos akin Squaw/Northstar but I may be wrong.

Magic carpet tunnel.

^if they did a magic carpet tunnel, it best be a themed ride (like Disney's Matahorn or the old Journey into Inner Space), so as to at least attract those rich Dubai skiers to Tahoe...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I think a 72 virgins theme would do the trick.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I think a 72 virgins theme would do the trick.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I just don't see the ease of actually connecting to the base of Alpine.
    Well, the base of Squaw is pretty much due north of the base of Alpine, with KT in between. The land to the right of the area marked Granite Chief Wilderness here is privately owned, I believe by either Troy Caldwell or Alpine Meadows. I don't know jack about the specifics of lift positioning, but it seems like you could run from Alpine base to Squaw base via anything from the Saddle at the west extreme to Olympic Lady or Red Dog Ridge at the east, although you might need to take a turn at the ridge above Five Lakes. Squaw already has the Squaw One lift, essentially redundant with the Funitel; who knows whether they'd appreciate the same duplication with KT?

Also, I don't think Tahoe needs another base village w/ condos akin Squaw/Northstar but I may be wrong.
    Couldn't agree more. But why would KSL build another base village at Alpine when they have one at Squaw? If they're already going to connect the two via gondola, they can take advantage of the network effects of concentration, while being able to differentiate the resort destination at Squaw base and the day user/locals lodge at Alpine base.

I could be wrong, obviously, and it's impossible to prove one way or the other, but I suspect that combining with Squaw is the strongest disincentive to a base village at Alpine over the long haul.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-07-17 at 5.29.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	2205 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	98414  

*fingers crossed*
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm with the Dad on this one. Connecting the two is a great argument AGAINST needing any additional "village" type development on the AM side. Just spend some money on lift upgrades (high speed replacement of Hot Wheels that terminates next to Art's Knob anyone?) plus a sweet upgrade to the Chalet to improve food and seating. A rope tow could connect White Wolf, although a tunnel magic carpet sounds cool.

So who is going to break the news and when?
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

I just want Squaw to open BC access,.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    That appears to be in the works regardless, based on statements by Squaw patrol at ISSW 2010.
    The Dad - Can you elaborate on what Patrol has said re this (e.g. timeframe, steps, etc)?

Yes it would be nice to ski at Alpine without skinning after they close or down the backside of KT/whitewolf legally, etc but as 666 said all I really care about is BC gates/open boundaries. Give me access to Nat Geo and other fun areas from the top of the mountain and I will be ecstatic.