Thread: Crappie Stoke

Crappie Stoke

Rivers are blown to shit here but the lakes are just starting to heat up. Largest one is 14, far right, smallest is 12.
    pie phone pic:

I love catching big crappie, but i've yet to eat one. How many people will those feed? Or, how many 12inch crappie to feed one person?
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

2 will feed one person unless your real hungry. I have been known to eat 4 by myself. I cooked up 4.5 for the wife, one of my daughters and I and felt it was plenty due to the other stuff I made. Froze the others for a little afternoon snack for daddy. These baby's make the best fuckin tacos on the planet.

Not the healthiest alternative, but beer battered deep fried crappie is THE SHIT!!!

That's a good haul!

I like how pie looks like "" pie

Looks like fun fishin' to boot!

Nice fish. Love fly rod fishin for crappie w/a small popper or beetle spins on an ultras light spin caster. Nothin like a fried crappie filet on a homemade biscuit (Tastes better than it sounds).
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Last year was such a good season for them but for some reason I have only caught a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by adria33 View Post
    I ride alone so I don't get held back by dead weights and dead beats. It's not always like that, but I destroy most skiers on the pistes.

I've never caught a crappie on top...always something deep...hmmm...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    I've never caught a crappie on top...always something deep...hmmm...
    Seriously? Get some shitty poppers. py and bluegill are only worth catching on the surface

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Seriously? Get some shitty poppers. py and bluegill are only worth catching on the surface
    Not that I don't try, but the lake (pond) I fish has many more bass and pickerel which dominate the surface realm. I've fished this lake (pond) for 8 years and thrown every popper, skimmer, frog, mouse or crease fly made and only the bass and pickerel and sometimes perch will get there first.

Quote Originally Posted by mushmouth View Post
    I love catching big crappie, but i've yet to eat one. How many people will those feed? Or, how many 12inch crappie to feed one person?
    Guys, school me on fileting & cooking pie. I've got a good pie/bass pond nearby I plan to hit after the trout water gets too warm. And tacos? Tell me more...

Same as bluegill or fresh water bass. They are all in the sunfish family and have approximately the same general skeletal structure. First make a vertical cut to the bone, behind gill plate. Next, cut down the back along the spine and follow the abdominal cavity bones over the organs to the bottom of the belly; remove "slab". Repeat on other side. Skin slabs. Feel for midline pinbones and remove in thinest possible slice. Now you have a "filet". Rinse and repeat.

In terms of meat, crappie is very good and most rate it a bit better than bluegill and usually they produce a lot more meat per fish. The meat is fairly similar. I think walleye and yellow perch have slightly better meat than crappie.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 06-07-2011 at 11:24 AM.

I might need to find some places to fish for crappie around Denver during runoff this year...which is probably going to be very long....
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I might need to find some places to fish for crappie around Denver during runoff this year...which is probably going to be very long....
    If you don't mind heading north to Windsor, I have access to a semi-private lake with plenty of BIG crappie, Bass, Cats, Carp, Walley, and supposedly Wiper. I'm headed to Montana tomorrow, but anytime after that hit me up. It fishes even better if you have a belly boat.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Punch View Post
    If you don't mind heading north to Windsor, I have access to a semi-private lake with plenty of BIG crappie, Bass, Cats, Carp, Walley, and supposedly Wiper. I'm headed to Montana tomorrow, but anytime after that hit me up. It fishes even better if you have a belly boat.
    Cool thanks. I will let you know for sure when I have time to get up there..unfortunately, I do not have a belly boat, but I can surely catch a couple without it.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ricorides View Post
    And tacos? Tell me more...
    fry them per above with seasoning. Add to taco tortilla with some cabbage and salsa. Serve with lime and cold beer.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Same as bluegill or fresh water bass. They are all in the sunfish family and have approximately the same general skeletal structure. First make a vertical cut to the bone, behind gill plate. Next, cut down the back along the spine and follow the abdominal cavity bones over the organs to the bottom of the belly; remove "slab". Repeat on other side. Skin slabs. Feel for midline pinbones and remove in thinest possible slice. Now you have a "filet". Rinse and repeat.

In terms of meat, crappie is very good and most rate it a bit better than bluegill and usually they produce a lot more meat per fish. The meat is fairly similar. I think walleye and yellow perch have slightly better meat than crappie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    fry them per above with seasoning. Add to taco tortilla with some cabbage and salsa. Serve with lime and cold beer.
    Thanks guys, pretty much what I figured. I've gotten so used to C&R that I haven't cleaned a fish in years. I'm hungry now...