Spatulas + Freerides + Skins - Here's the review

My setup: Spatulas with new Fritschi Freerides. For skins, I trimmed down some 130mm Black Diamond Ascensions. I didn't have to trim much.

Review: As would be expected, the Spatulas are good at some things, and not so good at others.

Pros:
    Excellent at breaking trail. They sit right on top.
    When breaking trail, you can climb some steeper pitches because the surface area is huge.
    They are the best ski I've ever skied for fresh snow, which is presumably why you are in the BC.

Cons:
    Heavy - if weight is a major concern for you, you'll want something else. I also had some difficulty on kick turns - the swing weight caused some rotation and my heel didn't hit the tower in the back.
    On the more technical, steep, icy, switchbacks, the edges don't hold well and you have less contact area. I had some difficulty climbing a steep ridge with several switchbacks. This may be somewhat difficult no matter what setup you're on.

Overall, I think it's a great setup if you get into the BC and want to be on an alpine setup. If you get into the BC all the time and do longer tours, you're going to want a lighter, more versitle setup.
    Avoiding the real world since 1979

cool, thanks Z. nice write up. i am still considering it.

i would think that with trekkers, you would just fatigue so fast because of the weight.

I had to buy an extra pair as my primary pair is having problems. heel piece is coming out of the ski. haven't taken it apart to figure out why yet, but if i can fix the delaminating top sheet it might be fun to throw some freerides on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bum Z
    Review: As would be expected, the Spatulas are good at some things, and not so good at others.
    Heh, this guy disagrees with you:

areteskier

Reged: 12/30/03
    Loc: Sierra Nevada Volant Spatulas Best Skis Ever
    #81172 - 04/01/04 09:00 PM Edit Reply Quote

Volant Spatulas are the best skis ever. Skiing is now a joke because these skis are so easy to manuver. They are far superior in all snow conditions(Ice, crud, powder, windblown, glaze) especially when all those snow conditions are skied at the same time. Smooth snow of any texture is absolutly amazing. Skiing is now a joke because one can now ski lines that used to be scary, scary only because some useless tip and tail would keep getting in the way, constantly trying to trip the skier up. Feeling uneasy merely by standing in potentially life threatening terrian is no longer so, with increased confidence in the ability to hold an edge and change direction due to the fact that the edge is right on one's foot and the ski has rocker. It is amazing how much better this utterly retarded concept of negative-camber, reverse-sidecut works over the traditional shape in all situations in the Mountains and at the ski-area(except frozen traverses). The Spatula is basically a level 1 beginner ski made to snow-plow and skid, except the learning curve of the ski is infinite, with a limitless possibility of slarve shapes to be explored. Most power under foot, not so far away at the tip and tail. Duh? Volant is now done, Atomic won't make any more Slarvers, and no ski company wants to pick up the design. You guys are weak. Slarvers are the best ever. The Industry has currupted so many minds with sidecut. To all you people who aks me how my skis are today, their sick, sick everday, in all conditions. I'm slarving faster than you are skiin' with less energy and more style. So keep skiin' on groomers and buying cambered fat skis you losers.

Post Extras:
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Bum Z

Cons:
    Heavy - if weight is a major concern for you, you'll want something else. I also had some difficulty on kick turns - the swing weight caused some rotation and my heel didn't hit the tower in the back.
    This is how I broke a toe-piece on some Freerides when pulling a sled on a hut trip. Torsional pressure. The only thing that held the binding in place was the return spring.

Thanks for the review Z.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

I'll be back in blue river on Jan 15 with linkens and spats. can't wait.

Spats are good at a few things only, but when it is good..........

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki
    They are far superior in all snow conditions(Ice, crud, powder, windblown, glaze) especially when all those snow conditions are skied at the same time.
    wow! all of those conditions AT THE SAME TIME!!!! I would like to see that.
    "I just looked down to see if I was wearing my seatbelt, and I'm sitting at my desk in my room."
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/owencaprell/