Thumbs up TR: Elevator Shaft (Chaos Couloir) . Hallett Peak | RMNP, CO | 16 May 2011

In the midst of Saturday's exodus from holding on to any form of dignity induced by finding the bottom of several different bottles of liquor that should only be tolerated mildly and with extreme caution, I was introduced to a new touring partner at A-Basin with quite the mountaineering resume and extensive experience in RMNP. The south face of Hallett was mentioned, so we went out and skied it today while timing the climb up and the descent down perfectly.

The day started at 3am and quickly followed with handfuls of coffee beans down the hatch to jumpstart the heart and lift those eyelids. Leaving Bear Lake TH at 530am, we found ourselves 2,800' higher and at the top of the 1,600' couloir by 745. Moving swiftly due to the lack of wind and above-freezing temps, we boogied on down for a car-to-car time of 3:10 ... much faster than I had anticipated for my first snow climb.

With a very pronounced inversion taking place, we were greeted to the intro of "Donnie Darko":

And soon enough, the sun showed its face and reminded us of why we torture our sleeping habits so often in the late spring:

Kyle Davis skinning deep into Chaos Canyon with Otis Peak on the left and Hallett Peak on the right:

A look at the line as we approached the base of the couloir:

As a snow climb, Elevator Shaft proved to be an appropriate name with a consistent 45+ degree pitch from near the bottom to the very top; and at no point was there any break. For all except the final 50-100 vert, the snow was firm making for a quick climb up. But with the top east-facing portion exposed to a cloudless sky, we were reaching peak conditions. The first dozen turns were incredibly smooth and creamy before entering the walls:

Kyle showing off his racing roots ... on 3-lb skis:

Near the middle section where we were still treated to excellent snow conditions:

The bulk of the bottom was ravaged with avy debris, but luckily there was a smooth area to traverse over to:

One last look back at a beauty which needs to be repeated in powder:

I wouldn't mind skiing that.....

Bozeman, MT. (Originally from Amsterdam, Netherlands)
    Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    I wouldn't mind skiing that.....
    Yeah, that looks so incredibly nice!

another quality NPG TR...thanks
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Nice line. Great pictures.
    Keep your tips up and always remember to unhook your pack from the chair...

Absolutely rocking the Park this year. Nice.

I always thought RMNP sucked for skiing- too much wind and not enough snow. Your TRs this season have been changing that opinion of mine. Keep em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I always thought RMNP sucked for skiing- too much wind and not enough snow. Your TRs this season have been changing that opinion of mine. Keep em coming.
    My thoughts exactly. Way to get after it.
    I can't believe you are a rando racer because I look so much better in Lycra than you.

People who don't think the Earth is flat haven't skied Vail.

Yummy. Caw Caw!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Nice. That might be my favorite line in the park. Great double to walk around flattop, ski s. Face of Halletts then up and down chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by drt View Post
    Nice. That might be my favorite line in the park. Great double to walk around flattop, ski s. Face of Halletts then up and down chaos.
    It's certainly a favorite of mine now considering the ease of access and the opportunity to boot up one of the coolies off Otis if the legs are up to it. If we didn't have a time constraint yesterday, we ultimately would have doubled up on a north-facing line that drops you back into Tyndall Gorge. Don't have a clearer picture, but it would have likely been the chute on the far looker's right side in this photo opposite the valley across from Dragon's Tail:

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post

Heh. Well, you can never really get rid of that wind. But snow years like this one...money!

Damn dude, Killin' it!
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

To the top! No elevator pun intended...

Super stoke - what a line man!
    An Evolutionary Rider

www.PeaksforPeace.com

Tahoes???

Hey There PappaG,
    Just wondering if you have spent much time on the Moment Tahoes and whether or not you think it would be a good ski for spring/summer mountaineering missions here in the front range? I ski a 188 maestro most of the winter and all the time in the BC, I'm 5'11'' 180lbs and was thinking of going with the 180 tahoe for the tight coolies, but thought it might be a little short for skiing at the resort... going to mount them tele with axl's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!

tech talk jongtastic ^^^
    stay outta my line

Blast from the past! Let's check this area out soon, Tom.